Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Daughter rejected (Brooklyn)
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
I'm the one who responded about it but the poster who asked to hear more and to whom I responded wasn't the OP. I know it's been a long time since I've been there but I'd be surprised if they're now taking people who watch clean movies and have kosher phones and who don't want to conform to having views pushed on them. But look into it, maybe I'm wrong.

But for such a person, I would think PP would be a better fit, at least how it was back when I was growing up in bk.

Prospect Park is very hard academically. Find out if Ichud has an incoming class into PP and join that way.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:13 am
I second prospect , it's an excellent school. It is hard academically but they have remedial tracks and they will help your daughter out.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:23 am
amother wrote:
With their own girls from their elementary - maybe. Outsiders with not good grades pretty much don't stand a chance of getting in. Unless major pull.

Not true . They work with everyone not only girls from their elemantry school .

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
With their own girls from their elementary - maybe. Outsiders with not good grades pretty much don't stand a chance of getting in. Unless major pull.

I think with assistance from the right person, OP has a greater chance of getting into Prospect than getting into BYHS.

I also believe it would be a better fit for her daughter.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:04 am
Op here. First of all I am awed at the amount of support and suggestions that I have received! Thank you all so much! It means the world to me to know that many people have been in my shoes and have survived. And whomever hasn’t you are giving grt ideas and advice. Regarding prospect. Are they still taking applicants? Anyone have real time info?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:36 am
I called prospect. They told me their registration is closed
Thankyou everyone for great advices. I really hope OP and myself will find fitting perfect Hs for our dtrs.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Thankyou everyone for great advices. I really hope OP and myself will find fitting perfect Hs for our dtrs.

Have you tried BYA?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:47 am
amother wrote:

Sorry to hear that . I hope you find a school for your daughter . Good luck

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:01 am
Does Mesores have a highschool? I think my SIL went there.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:06 am
amother wrote:

I don't know if it would change anything, but IME, any applications and registrations attempted after the typical applying season do best when initiated by the elementary school principal. A parent might get told it's all over, but sometimes the principal can make it happen anyway. I'm assuming you have no access to any board members.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:12 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Does Mesores have a highschool? I think my SIL went there.

Masores most likely full. Many families that would have sent to machon, send there

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 12:33 pm
No Brooklyn BY school has an open enrollment now, except Machon. Tests were in December, iirc. That doesn't mean you won't get accepted!!! You must find a pull - elementary school principals, Suri Rubin, ask your relatives, friends, Rabbi/Rebbetzin if they know people in those schools.

No school will ever be perfect, between hashkafah, academics, etc. You try doing the best you can and daven that Hashem directs your daughter to the school that's right for her.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 4:36 pm
OP, if you are willing to send out of Brooklyn, either Shulamith 5 towns or Bruria (Elizabeth, NJ) may be a good option for you. Shulamith HS is relatively new, and more likely to accept. Bruria is a big school with many different tracks / levels. Rabbi Haoretz is very accepting, and tries to build up students and meet them where they are at -- Hashkafa wise. Both of these schools work with each student individually, and offer a lot of extra curricular activities. Both schools have door to door transportation to Brooklyn. Tuition is significantly more expensive than the typical Brooklyn schools, but they may offer financial aid. When a child's educational, spiritual and psychological life is at stake, it may be a worthwhile investment. Best of luck!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 6:14 pm
I know Bruriah has different tracks, but I thought it accepts mostly academic girls, especially from Brooklyn (since they usually accept only a few girls per year from Brooklyn)

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
OP, if you are willing to send out of Brooklyn, either Shulamith 5 towns or Bruria (Elizabeth, NJ) may be a good option for you. Shulamith HS is relatively new, and more likely to accept. Bruria is a big school with many different tracks / levels. Rabbi Haoretz is very accepting, and tries to build up students and meet them where they are at -- Hashkafa wise. Both of these schools work with each student individually, and offer a lot of extra curricular activities. Both schools have door to door transportation to Brooklyn. Tuition is significantly more expensive than the typical Brooklyn schools, but they may offer financial aid. When a child's educational, spiritual and psychological life is at stake, it may be a worthwhile investment. Best of luck!

Interesting, that’s kind of new that they have a bus to Brooklyn. In my day there was one Brooklyn girl who drove in with Mrs Newman.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:21 am
OP, how is it going? Were you able to get into a school?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children