Home

What do you think?
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Bisque

Post  Wed, Feb 20 2019, 8:53 pm
Squishy wrote:
So you make accusations against me and don't want to back it up. It's a hit and run. Why bring it up in the first place?

Our feelings are mutual. I find you unnecessarily nasty and illogical, but at least it is under your screen name.

I do agree with the bolded.

Illogical is one thing you can't call her. The Democratic posters usually have much more well-thought out and polished posts on this board.

(Although I'm not American, I would skew more Conservative if I did. But, I have a balanced view since I'm not attached to either party.)

Laiya

Post  Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:46 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Honest question. How was America doing, objectively, in 2016?

Actually pretty well. Unemployment was down (look at a 5 year trend graph). It's down further, but following the same trend.

Same with the deficit (well, that hasn't continued).

The economy, crime etc. All doing, objectively, pretty well.

So what is the "again" talking about?

It is to make people fearful that America is doing badly. To try and capture the fear that people are being left behind in the economic growth. It appeals to those who feel, subjectively, that America isn't doing great.

(Will expound later if this isn't clear, but making, serving dinner now)

So it sounds like you're saying that, according to some objective metrics, the economy and crime rates were doing well, so people should've been happy. And if people instead connected with a message of hope, it was because of their irrational fears that were being exploited.

There's a missing logical link here. Even if there were no other legitimate concerns voters could possibly have had aside from the ones you mentioned, how does sending a message of hope translate into, exploiting irrational fears?

How is "Make America great again" qualitatively different than "Hope and Change"?

simcha2

Post  Wed, Feb 20 2019, 9:54 pm
Laiya wrote:
So it sounds like you're saying that, according to some objective metrics, the economy and crime rates were doing well, so people should've been happy. And if people instead connected with a message of hope, it was because of their irrational fears that were being exploited.

There's a missing logical link here. Even if there were no other legitimate concerns voters could possibly have had aside from the ones you mentioned, how does sending a message of hope translate into, exploiting irrational fears?

How is "Make America great again" qualitatively different than "Hope and Change"?

Do you see maga as an expression of hope? I'm assuming so, otherwise I'm having trouble understanding your post (my comprehension skills, not your writing).

For me, (and many others) the "again" of maga is not about hope, but about playing into a nostalgia based on how dreadful things currently are. (Fear of the present and future, looking to the past for comfort).

Hope and change was during the financial crash. Objectively a bad time in America.

Squishy

Post  Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:13 pm
simcha2 wrote:
When have I been unnecessarily nasty?

I said I didn't want to rehash this. And you immediately attacked me, again.

Here is what you wrote on that post

"I have been schooled on this thead about Simcha2's veracity. She calls white black and black white. You have to ignore her. I don't deal well with people who have credibility challenges."

The irony of calling me "unnecessarily nasty".

I specifically gave you way out to act as a mensch. And instead you went low. I didn't bring it up. You claimed that only liberals make insulting comments under amother and asked to be proved wrong.

Oh well, there goes another interesting thread.

Thanks for reminding me. I do have trouble dealing with people who aren't truthful. I found you said 2 or 3 untruthful things on that thead. The reason it is 2 or 3 is because I didn't check if one statements was by you. I thought I deleted my post at your request and refused to discuss the incidents publically. I stand by what I said, and I think it was in defense of another.
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Recent Topics

Page 5 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h