Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dd 8th grade yeshivish school requirers Internet
1  2  Next

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:36 pm
I don’t understand. I don’t want to have Internet for her but her school projects require Internet. She is making a brochure right now. She is searching pictures etc. I don’t understand. The school tells us no internet is better and if internet than a filter. But I prefer no internet but it is not working. Right now she is using dh’s Computer.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:41 pm
Do you really need internet, or is it just easier? Can you get the same information from books at the library?

agreer

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 10:43 pm
Call the school and tell them that your daughter should be excused from this project because it conflicts with your mutual values. Ask them for a different project. Don't be wishy-washy. If you really believe in no internet, and you send to a school that espouses such values, you have every right to insist that your daughter be given an assignment in line with your values.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:16 pm
agreer wrote:
Call the school and tell them that your daughter should be excused from this project because it conflicts with your mutual values. Ask them for a different project. Don't be wishy-washy. If you really believe in no internet, and you send to a school that espouses such values, you have every right to insist that your daughter be given an assignment in line with your values.

I wish I could. We are on a very big scholarship and the principal doesn’t want any criticism from me.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
Do you really need internet, or is it just easier? Can you get the same information from books at the library?

We can’t go to the library it is a huge job and we don’t have the time to sift through books and take photocopies etc. and the graphic design....

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 20 2019, 11:20 pm
Dh wants to buy her a computer. I don’t even know how to use it besides basic stuff and I’m afraid if I try to put restrictions it won’t really work.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 12:51 am
amother wrote:
We can’t go to the library it is a huge job and we don’t have the time to sift through books and take photocopies etc. and the graphic design....

That's why people have internet access. It makes life easier in a thousand ways.

You don't have to buy your daughter a computer. She can use yours. She can go to a public library. I'm even guessing that you can ask the school if she can do her homework on one of their computers if you don't have internet at home.

(And by the way, there's no reason the teacher should know if you are getting a tuition break. You should be able to bring up any educational issue without that being a consideration.)

devash1

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:20 am
I agree that you absolutely do not have to buy her own computer. Especially that has internet access. As we know teens are better at figuring out these filters than most adults. I'm so sorry that you feel you are in a position where you can't say anything to the school. My kids use my computer just for school projects like this with me around.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:58 am
About going to the library being too much, this is how everyone did school projects in the "olden days" Wink
My family did not have internet until I was in college. It just was not a thing then. And so, for any sort of school project, yes, we went to the library and copied, copied, and copied some more.
I mean, you cant really have it both ways, if you dont want her to have internet, then dont, but then make the library the most accessible option for her.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 3:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
About going to the library being too much, this is how everyone did school projects in the "olden days" Wink
My family did not have internet until I was in college. It just was not a thing then. And so, for any sort of school project, yes, we went to the library and copied, copied, and copied some more.
I mean, you cant really have it both ways, if you dont want her to have internet, then dont, but then make the library the most accessible option for her.

I also grew up when there was no internet.
Thing is, expectations were different then. Teachers did not expect a million different sources (at least not in gr 8), graphic design and so on.
We handed in all our projects handwritten. Today that would just be weird.

The op's dd will be at a disadvantage if all her peers do their project on the computer. Hers will look much less professional, and might be judged accordingly.

salt

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 4:28 am
amother wrote:
I don’t understand. I don’t want to have Internet for her but her school projects require Internet. She is making a brochure right now. She is searching pictures etc. I don’t understand. The school tells us no internet is better and if internet than a filter. But I prefer no internet but it is not working. Right now she is using dh’s Computer.

There are two elements here.
There is the research using the internet. And there is the typing up and graphics, etc, that needs a computer but no internet.

My DD (10th grade Israel) had to do a project using no internet. I know girls used internet, but I didn't want DD to go against the rules. We have a large encyplopedia so that was great. She also used books. She chose a topic that she knew we had printed information on.
The only thing I looked up on the internet for her was the name of the current Prime Minister of the UK - I couldn't for the life of me remember her name!

When she has projects and the teacher does not specifically say 'no internet' she does use the internet. But that particular one came with instructions.

About the typing up, why can't your DD use your DH's computer. It's great to develop typing skills, learn how to set things up on a page, insert pictures and use different fonts using Word. Nothing not-kosher about that.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 8:08 am
LOL YEAH they do that then they mail you... I'd say "I don't have itnernet/too filtered for the project"

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 8:50 am
So basically you're allowing her to use internet for convenience, not because it's the only way to get the research done. Honestly that's your choice. I don't see why computer use is a problem in itself. Computer literacy is hugely important.

keym

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 9:37 am
OP, I get you.
I had a similar situation. Even more because the letter we signed said that we wouldn't allow our kids "internet use" or "unsupervised public library access".
So I included a note to the teacher pointing out that I am confident our daughter wouldn't be penalized for following school rules even though her project was less polished, handwritten, and had fewer pictures than we might have hoped.
A different child's teacher had the Chutzpa to insist that my job as a parent was to go to the library, photocopy pictures, find books, copy pages, and highlight the relevant information, all so my 4th grader could create the Project of the Century on Friction. For that child, I complained.
BH my daughter is in a school where students are actually penalized for handing in typed work so as not to create a pressure and taiva to use the internet.
When the girls are assigned a project, each student is handed a 100 page booklet with the relevant information for them to sift through.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 9:45 am
Why not just help her with the project so you can see what she’s doing and then set a password on the computer that only you and dh know when the project is finished? That way, she won’t be able to get on at all.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:01 am
The problem is that the school made us sign that we have no internet or internet with a filter like k9. I prefer no internet because if we have it for her because it might create problems. The projects are very Lea tans she can’t do it in the library and I can’t even lay her stay there by herself or be all the time with her there. I see no choice but to get a computer for home with a filter that she can use. What is a good filter? And how do I put it on. Maybe an iPad because it has build in controls. Idk why the teachers like too have colorful printed professional looking projects.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:06 am
amother wrote:

That’s surprising because most Yeshivos require you to sign that the kids won’t have access! You should ask for an appt with the hanhala to discuss this! Worst case scenario, she should do it at the library.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:11 am
This is not a problem that requires buying a computer.

Do you live in an unsafe neighborhood where an 8th grader can't go to the library herself? If not, let her go. I'm pretty sure you cannot access filth from a public computer.

Get internet for the house, and then filter it once she's handed in her project.

Maybe you will have to ask a favor of a friend or neighbor.

Let her use whatever device you are using to get onto imamother.

You do have options here.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:14 am
Filters are a joke. DD can bypass any filter in under 5 minutes.

Her school insists that all reports be done in PowerPoint. I think that's ridiculous, because one of her weakest areas is hand writing and spelling. If you have a computer program with spellcheck and Grammarly, you don't learn anything.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
Why not just help her with the project so you can see what she’s doing and then set a password on the computer that only you and dh know when the project is finished? That way, she won’t be able to get on at all.

Why cant you let her stay at the library by herself?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children