Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
People who do themed costumes for the whole family...

salt

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:34 am
Do you all go everywhere all together all the time on Purim?
I assume you have to otherwise the point is lost.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:38 am
I admire those who can pull this off.
This year DH is Moshe Rabeinu and the newborn twins are the tablets of the 10 commandments.
Hope he doesn't smash them...!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:20 am
salt wrote:
Do you all go everywhere all together all the time on Purim?
I assume you have to otherwise the point is lost.

I always take a photo of kids in costume beforehand and use it to label the mishloach manot. We give mostly to close friends and family who say the picture is their favorite part/gets placed on the fridge etc.

Zehava

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:21 am
It’s only the kids so yeah. We’re mostly together. But the costumes are still cute on their own.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:28 am
Families are together part of the time at shul (before/after megillah and at the shul party) and at the seudah.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:56 am
We are usually together. I take a picture before Purim and put it into the mm somehow- always in different ways. Sometimes the recipients aren’t home and we leave it at their door so this is how they see how we are dressed.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 8:06 am
We are usually together. Or my DH and the kids are always together at least and I sometimes stay home until later in the day.

Deenah

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 8:53 am
So cute to see those families! How I wish my family would agree to do that!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 9:11 am
We are mostly together and when not, the costume ties to the shaloch manos, so still cute.

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 9:17 am
The kids pick out their costumes, and I tie it together in a theme. The MM also matches, and I do picture labels.

We start off together, and then the kids go off to parties.

keym

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 9:24 am
Most themes I've seen look cute alone and even more adorable together. Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, piglet, so each kid looks adorable. Then when you see them all together, its Ooohhh!!!!

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 11:25 am
keym wrote:
Most themes I've seen look cute alone and even more adorable together. Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, piglet, so each kid looks adorable. Then when you see them all together, its Ooohhh!!!!

Oy. Dressing a Jewish kid up as a pig... :/

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:31 pm
Israeli_C wrote:
Oy. Dressing a Jewish kid up as a pig... :/

Why is it worse than a lion or a turtle?

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
Why is it worse than a lion or a turtle?

Because pigs are especially loathed in Judaism. Why else does the Talmud say 'basar acher' (other meat) instead of 'chazir' (pig)? Why did chazal forbid raising pigs? In the days of Antiochus, why did Jews choose death over eating pig? There's a long and troubling history of Jews choosing martyrdom over consuming pork, which has given it a rather infamous place in Judaism.

Tbh as a Lubavitcher I wouldn't dress my kid as a non-kosher animal period. Baby fashion doesn't really agree with me, I've been cutting animal ears off my babies' clothing since they were born. But a pig? Oy...

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:00 pm
Israeli_C wrote:
Because pigs are especially loathed in Judaism. Why else does the Talmud say 'basar acher' (other meat) instead of 'chazir' (pig)? Why did chazal forbid raising pigs? In the days of Antiochus, why did Jews choose death over eating pig? There's a long and troubling history of Jews choosing martyrdom over consuming pork, which has given it a rather infamous place in Judaism.

Tbh as a Lubavitcher I wouldn't dress my kid as a non-kosher animal period. Baby fashion doesn't really agree with me, I've been cutting animal ears off my babies' clothing since they were born. But a pig? Oy...

A pig is unclean, but it is not evil. I think it would be worse to dress up as a vampire, werewolf, goblin, etc, which are made up but meant to be evil.

Israeli_C

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:58 am
amother wrote:
A pig is unclean, but it is not evil. I think it would be worse to dress up as a vampire, werewolf, goblin, etc, which are made up but meant to be evil.

I didn't say it was evil, I just don't understand why someone would choose to turn their Jewish child into a pig

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 4:53 am
When I think of piglet I think he’s the character piglet more than pig. How many people look at micky mouse and think of the mouse they spotted running in their kitchen?

May

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 5:02 am
To settle the whole argument, piglet from Pooh is not a pig, he is an armadillo! Baby armadillos are also called piglets. If you notice, he doesn't have a tail and he has a striped belly, classic of armadillos.

That being said, I did the Pooh theme one year and two of my girls were piglet before I knew that he wasn't a pig. Didn't phase me at all (we are yeshivish).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics