Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Instant Pot Puzzle
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:49 am
I just bought my first instant pot - the 8 quart.
I didn't realize that cooking times don't include about ten or more minutes to get to pressure, plus the time it takes to release the pressure.
I see how making long cooking foods like a roast make sense, but with faster cooking foods I feel like I'm missing something...
If quinoa takes 1 minute to cook, but 10 minutes to get to pressure and a few minutes to release pressure, have I actually gained anything over the conventional method?

I was wondering if the larger the pot, the longer the time to get to pressure?

If I bought a smaller pot just for quinoa and veges, would that make any significant difference?

(anon because I'm sharing my puzzlement irl)

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:53 am
The larger the pot the longer to pressure but you have the benefit of walking away. With a bunch of little kids who all seem to want my attention the second I start to make dinner the hands off aspect is what I love the most. Being able to put the ingredients in and walk away and not worry that the food will burn or boil over.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
I just bought my first instant pot - the 8 quart.
I didn't realize that cooking times don't include about ten or more minutes to get to pressure, plus the time it takes to release the pressure.
I see how making long cooking foods like a roast make sense, but with faster cooking foods I feel like I'm missing something...
If quinoa takes 1 minute to cook, but 10 minutes to get to pressure and a few minutes to release pressure, have I actually gained anything over the conventional method?

I was wondering if the larger the pot, the longer the time to get to pressure?

If I bought a smaller pot just for quinoa and veges, would that make any significant difference?

(anon because I'm sharing my puzzlement irl)

For some reason, the 8 qt is known to take a very long time to get to pressure. The larger the pot, the more liquid it holds. The more liquid, the longer it takes to get to pressure. I have a few 6 qts (for the year and one for pesach) and find that it makes more than enough food for my family and guests.

Here's a pro-tip. Preheat the instant pot while you are prepping the food. Put water in the liner and set it to saute. It will get very hot. By the time you are ready to cook the food, it will be hot and take less time to get to pressure. A pot of soup takes a long time to come to pressure (tons of water!) but if you fill it with water and then start peeling vegetables and cutting them, etc, it will be ready for you when you are ready and come to pressure very quickly.

Re: quinoa - It will not take 10 mins to get to pressure. But also, when you make it on the stove, its a hands on cooking experience. You have to watch it, lower the flame, cover it, the whole thing. I can put in the quinoa and go shower one of my kids. I can leave it alone. And I dont know about you, but my quinoa comes out much better in the IP than when I make it on the stove.

Please take my advice, go to this website and watch all of the "pressure cooking school" videos, even the ones for food that you never make, and even for the treif stuff. You will learn so much. hippressurecooking.com

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 11:28 am
Yea, it's not my thing either.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 11:50 am
Thanks for all your good ideas watergirl. Great idea about preheating the water - I will try that tomorrow!

I was also wondering about leaving it alone - I'm nervous one of my older kids (think 13 year old boy who likes to patchke in the kitchen) will touch something. I was a bit taken aback when I vented the pot - got quite a shock from the intensity of the steam coming out. I made it very clear to him that he can't fiddle with it, but he's a bit ADHD - I'm hoping he doesn't impulsively touch that vent! Somehow a simmering pot of soup on the back burner doesn't make me as nervous - it's not begging for fidgety fingers Smile
Is it possible to vent the pot while it's in pressure mode?

Also, where do you position your pot? Can the overhanging cabinetry get damaged after repeatedly getting the brunt of all that steam? I would just put it on the kitchen table away from any cabinets, but don't want any little hands getting to it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 12:59 pm
I got one as a gift, made a corned beef on an erev shabbos and when I tried venting it its splattered all other the above cabinets and window shade. I was so fed up that I gave it away. I'm not generally a last min type so I didnt see the benefit of it at all ..

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
I got one as a gift, made a corned beef on an erev shabbos and when I tried venting it its splattered all other the above cabinets and window shade. I was so fed up that I gave it away. I'm not generally a last min type so I didnt see the benefit of it at all ..

Meat needs to be released naturally. Same with soups. Chicken needs about 10 mins natural and then quick.

Instant pot recipes tell you how to release the pressure.

People, please learn how to use them before getting frustrated and giving up!

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:06 pm
I do not find it helpful for saving time. I do find it helpful for putting something up and being able to leave the house or do something else

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 4:47 pm
Water girl you inspired me, but now I'm a bit stuck - time sensitive!

I decided to make some top of rip steaks for pulled beef.
I have 3 steaks , each weighing just over a pound.
So, how do I calculate how long they should cook for?
By total weight?
By the weight of one chunk?
Or just press meat button?

I'm a bit confused because in the handbook there is a chart that gives times by weight, but then there is the meat button...
And not sure how that weight actually works in this case, with a few large pieces. Customer service just read of the time on the pre programme - so why the weights in the handbook?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:

By total weight?

I'm a bit confused because in the handbook there is a chart that gives times by weight, but then there is the meat button...
And not sure how that weight actually works in this case, with a few large pieces. Customer service just read of the time on the pre programme - so why the weights in the handbook?

The buttons are just presets; you adjust things to the amount of meat that you're using.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 4:56 pm
I find that any recipe I would make on the stove, the IP cooks it 2/3 faster so if I cooked meatballs for 1 hour I would do 20 min or if I cooked corned beef for 3 hours I would do one hour etc. Chicken that takes about 45 min, 12-15 min is perfect. I have not had a flop yet.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:

By total weight?

I never ever use the preset buttons.

I’ve never made pulled beef so I googled it for you and just came up with recipies for a tougher cut of meat like chuck. Are you on facebook? Join the kosher instant pot group and ask there. People reply very quickly. Or google.

ETA - I just was googling more. I would sear it, deglaze the liner very well (no bits can stick to the bottom), add your liquid, and set at manual for 45 mins. Npr for 15 mins the qr.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 4:57 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I find that any recipe I would make on the stove, the IP cooks it 2/3 faster so if I cooked meatballs for 1 hour I would do 20 min or if I cooked corned beef for 3 hours I would do one hour etc. Chicken that takes about 45 min, 12-15 min is perfect. I have not had a flop yet.

I do meatballs for 8 mins and npr. Smile

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:00 pm
I have also. I think it also depends on the recipe. After I read about reducing the times, I felt less locked into using IP specfic recipes.

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have also. I think it also depends on the recipe. After I read about reducing the times, I felt less locked into using IP specfic recipes.

Yeah theres a learning curve for sure. I only use manual and do what ever feels right at this point.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:13 pm
I bought the 6 qt and upon reading the instructions had the same questions as op. I get the convenience, now my question is how the saute function is better than a pot since you're supposed to leave it uncovered and stir...

I'm a little scared off by the learning curve. I'm also thinking that because it's already February and I only just got around to toiveling it, I'll save it for pesach for just this year because I don't have much kitchenware.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:39 pm
seeker wrote:
I bought the 6 qt and upon reading the instructions had the same questions as op. I get the convenience, now my question is how the saute function is better than a pot since you're supposed to leave it uncovered and stir...

I'm a little scared off by the learning curve. I'm also thinking that because it's already February and I only just got around to toiveling it, I'll save it for pesach for just this year because I don't have much kitchenware.

I use the saute function only when I need to do that as part of the recipe for this particular dish. For example, for a quick supper, I cut an onion into rings and saute it in a little bit of oil. Meanwhile, I peel and cut potatoes, add it to the onions, pour water (much less than I needed in a pot), lay chicken on top (even frozen from the freezer) and sprinkle seasoning. I close it, set it, and walk away to do other stuff. My kids' favorite supper comes out perfect - soft and juicy - and ready within an hour after I step in the door after work. I also have some soup recipes that require sauteeing and I do that in the IP while prepping the next step.

For me this means no need to plan ahead, remember to defrost, or babysit a pot.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:44 pm
So the pulled beef came out great, I cooked for a little longer than the preset time.
I'm still confused about the weight and how to calculate based on the chart in the book. I dont have facebook on my home computer, s I just took a guess Very Happy

mom_13

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 11:16 am
watergirl wrote:
I never ever use the preset buttons.

I’ve never made pulled beef so I googled it for you and just came up with recipies for a tougher cut of meat like chuck. Are you on facebook? Join the kosher instant pot group and ask there. People reply very quickly. Or google.

ETA - I just was googling more. I would sear it, deglaze the liner very well (no bits can stick to the bottom), add your liquid, and set at manual for 45 mins. Npr for 15 mins the qr.

Do you have a link to this Facebook group? I just got mine and would love to learn how to use it!

watergirl

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
So the pulled beef came out great, I cooked for a little longer than the preset time.
I'm still confused about the weight and how to calculate based on the chart in the book. I dont have facebook on my home computer, s I just took a guess Very Happy

Please please please. Do yourself a favor and watch the “cooking school” videos on hippressurecooking.com !!! You will learn everything there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen