Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
OMG! This Smollet story is one heck of a story!
1  2  3  Next

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:21 pm

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:27 pm
Fox predicted this.

Justice for Jessie! Let's hear the liberals calling for that now. He should be charged with hate crimes.

It's just like all the other hoaxes about hajibs being pulled off or boys taunting Indians. I read about them last night and there were pages of them.

Some how Trump gets the blame. And he never gets vindicated. That doesn't fit the narrative.

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:36 pm
My question is what will Jussie say? Has he made a statement since being accused with proof?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:37 pm
I had a feeling something was fishy about this all along, but I couldn't prove anything. I'm glad that the Chicago police got to the truth.

This guy just destroyed his own career, is looking at felony charges, and for what? Just to demand a higher salary on a show?

SMH Rolling Eyes

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:49 pm

While this investigation was going on, 18 people have been killed in Chicago.

A couple of thoughts:

* This case shows what real journalism looks like. People like Rafer Weigel and Rob Elgas did the kind of work reporters used to do regularly. Quality journalism is increasingly a function of local reporters, not national outlets.

* This case shows what real police work and investigation looks like. The CPD is not without its issues, but they handled this professionally, fairly, and appropriately.

* Also kudos to the CPD and FBI for allowing Smollett to turn himself in without a televised perp walk. Too bad the FBI didn't extend that same courtesy to Roger Stone.

* It might be seen as a good sign that a black, gay man has to actually hire people to commit a hate crime against him. Somehow, I have a feeling that won't be a common spin among the media.

The crickets are waiting to chirp, so I'll let them have at it.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:56 pm
Fox wrote:

While this investigation was going on, 18 people have been killed in Chicago.

A couple of thoughts:

* This case shows what real journalism looks like. People like Rafer Weigel and Rob Elgas did the kind of work reporters used to do regularly. Quality journalism is increasingly a function of local reporters, not national outlets.

* This case shows what real police work and investigation looks like. The CPD is not without its issues, but they handled this professionally, fairly, and appropriately.

* Also kudos to the CPD and FBI for allowing Smollett to turn himself in without a televised perp walk. Too bad the FBI didn't extend that same courtesy to Roger Stone.

* It might be seen as a good sign that a black, gay man has to actually hire people to commit a hate crime against him. Somehow, I have a feeling that won't be a common spin among the media.

Conservative commentator Jon Miller made exactly this point (the video is longish, but he is so entertaining, it's worth it):

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 2:57 pm
Fox wrote:

They're only chirping if you don't read any left wing media.

https://theweek.com/articles/8.....-bias

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....fa6a4

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....8d3dd

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0......html

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 3:24 pm
Tawana Brawley redux. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 4:25 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
They're only chirping if you don't read any left wing media.

I wasn't so much thinking of the media as all of the quasi-public figures as well as the anonymous Imamother who got offended on the previous thread that I joking about all 6 Chicago Trump voters having been busy that night.

Props to the NYT for distinguishing between those who expressed legitimate distress at the possibility of such a crime and those who failed to exercise even rudimentary skepticism.

. . . and amusement at WaPo's use of "we." Which "we"would that be? Maybe the "we" that wouldn't be facng a $250M lawsuit had "we" done more reporting and less outrage-stoking.

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 5:37 pm
I was going to include the ADL in the list of those who came on strong in support of Smollett and have now mysteriously gone silent. The ADL official Twitter account issued this after the reported attack:

Quote:
This sickening, vile reported attack on @EmpireFOX star @JussieSmollett is a disturbing reminder of the terrible homophobia & racism that plagues society. We stand with you, Jussie and will never stop fighting against this kind of hateful violence.

However, I thought I'd make sure of my facts before posting. So I went to the ADL's Twitter account just to make sure. That turned out to be a profoundly disturbing experience!

I found only one tweet in the last three months mentioning attacks against Jews in Brooklyn -- the vandalism last Shabbos. However, they tweeted multiple times a day on every other conceivable social issue, including transgender rights in the military to "exploring issues of identity through game design." With friends like this . . .

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 7:58 pm
Squishy wrote:
Fox predicted this.

Justice for Jessie! Let's hear the liberals calling for that now. He should be charged with hate crimes.

It's just like all the other hoaxes about hajibs being pulled off or boys taunting Indians. I read about them last night and there were pages of them.

Some how Trump gets the blame. And he never gets vindicated. That doesn't fit the narrative.

These are just some of the hate crime hoaxes. The list came less than an hour ago. The one I read last night was more extensive.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/21/.....long/

Do you think the media and celebrities will continue its rush to judgment or have they learned to proceed more cautiously?

pause

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:57 pm
He'll be missed on Empire...

Cheiny

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:59 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I had a feeling something was fishy about this all along, but I couldn't prove anything. I'm glad that the Chicago police got to the truth.

This guy just destroyed his own career, is looking at felony charges, and for what? Just to demand a higher salary on a show?

SMH Rolling Eyes

I’m not so sure he’s finished. Remember, he’s got the media and Hollywood on his side who have been pretty quiet after it came out that he was behind this racist hoax.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:00 pm
zaq wrote:
Tawana Brawley redux. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Yeah and look how much “the reverend” 😜al sharpton was “destroyed” by that hoax he helped to perpetuate! Not.

trixx

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:00 pm
Writers of his TV show just wrote him out of the next two episodes.

pause

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:02 pm
trixx wrote:
Writers of his TV show just wrote him out of the next two episodes.

The last two episodes of the next season. (The show is not currently running; they're filming.) I wonder how it's gonna play itself out. Gonna be interesting to see.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 1:11 pm
pause wrote:
The last two episodes of the next season. (The show is not currently running; they're filming.) I wonder how it's gonna play itself out. Gonna be interesting to see.

They wrote him out of anything that hasn't been filmed yet. I mean, I guess they could pull an All the Money in the World, but does Empire make enough money to merit all that re-filming? Is Smollett's role big enough? Does anyone here actually watch it and know the answers to these questions?

BTW, according to Google (https://www.returndates.com/news.php?id=775) the show is on mid-season hiatus, and returns in about 3 weeks. The first 9 shows of the season have aired, there are 18 total. So it makes total sense that they've filmed 16 so far.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 2:52 pm
Mr. Smollett simply needs to...
1) declare he's addicted to something or is an alcoholic,
2) say he made a bad choice or 2 while under the influence,
3) go into rehab, and
4) come back better than ever! After he serves his 3 years for the felony.

Lessons we can take from this...
1) Don't give money to Nigerian princes, and
2) Don't pay them by check.

Fox

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 3:06 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Mr. Smollett simply needs to...
1) declare he's addicted to something or is an alcoholic,
2) say he made a bad choice or 2 while under the influence,
3) go into rehab, and
4) come back better than ever! After he serves his 3 years for the felony.

Lessons we can take from this...
1) Don't give money to Nigerian princes, and
2) Don't pay them by check.

Chadwick Moore is reporting on Twitter that Smollett is claiming an "untreated drug addiction."

All the sober addicts on Twitter are responding that even at their lowest levels, they never staged an elaborate hoax, filed a false police court, gave repeated false testimony, or appeared on network television, weeping.

pause

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 3:08 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
They wrote him out of anything that hasn't been filmed yet. I mean, I guess they could pull an All the Money in the World, but does Empire make enough money to merit all that re-filming? Is Smollett's role big enough? Does anyone here actually watch it and know the answers to these questions?

BTW, according to Google (https://www.returndates.com/news.php?id=775) the show is on mid-season hiatus, and returns in about 3 weeks. The first 9 shows of the season have aired, there are 18 total. So it makes total sense that they've filmed 16 so far.

He has a pretty big role, but at one point he was "in Paris," so I'm curious if that's how they'll get rid of him, by sending him back there. We'll just have to wait and see.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics