Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
OMG! This Smollet story is one heck of a story!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 3:15 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I’m not so sure he’s finished. Remember, he’s got the media and Hollywood on his side who have been pretty quiet after it came out that he was behind this racist hoax.

I don't think the media and Hollywood are on his side. I've heard several left wing liberal media outlets crush him. In the last 24 hours, who has supported him? Even cnn and don lemon are bashing him.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 4:17 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I don't think the media and Hollywood are on his side. I've heard several left wing liberal media outlets crush him. In the last 24 hours, who has supported him? Even cnn and don lemon are bashing him.

I haven’t heard even one of them apologize for jumping the gun and rushing to judgment, in order to bash those he was trying to blame. What’s more, I’ve heard them rationalizing and asking that we wait for “all the facts to come out,”. Too bad they didn’t feel that way before the truth emerged when they were quick to rush to judgment.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 4:19 pm
Fox wrote:
Chadwick Moore is reporting on Twitter that Smollett is claiming an "untreated drug addiction."

All the sober addicts on Twitter are responding that even at their lowest levels, they never staged an elaborate hoax, filed a false police court, gave repeated false testimony, or appeared on network television, weeping.

I have a strong feeling he’ll walk away with a slap on the wrist...,had it been reversed though, you fill in the blanks....

icebreaker

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 4:24 pm
I just don’t understand. He’s on a hit tv show (well, idk if it’s a hit tv show but I do think it’s somewhat popular at least), he most likely has more money than the vast majority of his fans, people know who he is...what more can you want?! Is the greed THAT extreme once you reach a certain point in your career? Unbelievable.

Mevater

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 11:12 pm
Being that Smollett hasnt admitted wrongdoing, is there even a chance that hes innocent, with the brothers saying Smollett paid them for doing this?

Fox

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 11:40 pm
Mevater wrote:
Being that Smollett hasnt admitted wrongdoing, is there even a chance that hes innocent, with the brothers saying Smollett paid them for doing this?

You know, I wondered about that myself.

We're constantly saying, "Don't jump the gun," when something big and dramatic happens. What if this were some kind of frame-up? Apparently Smollett has made a lot of enemies on the club scene, and it's conceivable that there might be a few who would seriously wish him ill.

Obviously, an elaborate plot to frame Smollett seems pretty unlikely, especially given what we know about the evidence. But some of the evidence seems so dumb that you have to wonder. Who would pay his co-conspirators using a check? And if you're going to spend that much money on a staged attack, you wouldn't drop your sandwich and crack your iPhone screen for a little extra plausibility?

The motive (or lack thereof) seems bizarre to me, as well. It's been widely reported that Smollett staged the attack in order to justify a pay raise and/or to simply raise his profile. Seems like a lot of stuff he could have done to get onto TMZ's timeline without committing a felony. Date somebody famous. Date somebody infamous. Date a woman. Cheaper, too!

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:03 am
icebreaker wrote:
I just don’t understand. He’s on a hit tv show (well, idk if it’s a hit tv show but I do think it’s somewhat popular at least), he most likely has more money than the vast majority of his fans, people know who he is...what more can you want?! Is the greed THAT extreme once you reach a certain point in your career? Unbelievable.

Eh.

Im sure there are many multi-millionaires in frum communities with a "Taiva" to be even richer and more well-known. They just dont go about it this stupidly.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:31 am
icebreaker wrote:

I don't think greed was the only motive.

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:58 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't think greed was the only motive.

I think this was meant strictly for personal gain. Otherwise what an idiot!

What else could have been his motive? If hes an enemy of Trump/MAGA, and was looking to get sympathy for poor suffering Black homosexuals, he had many other options, like joining organizations, to get his message across.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:59 am
https://www.theflipside.io/arc.....llett

I just discovered this website.

I look forward to seeing how they curate sources from both sides of the important issues of the day.

Fox

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:29 am
youngishbear wrote:
https://www.theflipside.io/archives/jussie-smollett

I just discovered this website.

I look forward to seeing how they curate sources from both sides of the important issues of the day.

Very interesting, and I liked the fact that they quoted Robby Soave at the end regarding hate crime statistics. He's written on this extensively and honestly.

The best highlighted response, though, is that of Nana Efua Mumford at WaPo, who is heartbroken that this might be used to prove that Trump opponents actually are lying about their political opponents being racist, murderous thugs.

Mevater

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:33 am
Wouldnt Smollett have much more chance of getting a job in the industry, if he admitted what he did, and apologized, instead of continuing to insist hes innocent, and saying everyone is wrong about him?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:38 am
Fox wrote:
Very interesting, and I liked the fact that they quoted Robby Soave at the end regarding hate crime statistics. He's written on this extensively and honestly.

The best highlighted response, though, is that of Nana Efua Mumford at WaPo, who is heartbroken that this might be used to prove that Trump opponents actually are lying about their political opponents being racist, murderous thugs.

Were you able to read the hyperlinked article? I hit the WaPo paywall.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:33 am
The whole hoax and his motivations for pulling a hoax is one story.

The bigger story is the ridiculous amount of airtime this story got from the mainstream media because it backed up the narrative they are constantly trying to push: Trump is a racist, anyone who voted for him is a "deplorable," the US is a racist horrible place, etc.

Now that the truth is coming out, they may walk back their rush to believe it, but there is relatively little self-examination of the mainstream media's underlying motives and worldview.

Another aspect not examined extensively in the mainstream news: The impact of PC culture on people's beavior and speech. People are so afraid of being labelled as racist-bigot-homophobes that even when this improbable story first broke and sounded totally ridiculous (guy gets jumped in the middle of a polar vortex by two walking stereotypes of a liberal's stereotype of Trump-supporting rednecks -- in Chicago! and manages to hold on to his Subway sandwich), people were cautious about expressing doubts about it's veracity.

Fox

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:03 am
youngishbear wrote:
Were you able to read the hyperlinked article? I hit the WaPo paywall.

Weirdly, yes. Although they were kind enough to offer me a subscription for 80 percent off.

DrMom wrote:
People are so afraid of being labelled as racist-bigot-homophobes that even when this improbable story first broke and sounded totally ridiculous (guy gets jumped in the middle of a polar vortex by two walking stereotypes of a liberal's stereotype of Trump-supporting rednecks -- in Chicago! and manages to hold on to his Subway sandwich), people were cautious about expressing doubts about it's veracity.

Not to mention how improbable it would be for this stereotyped Trump supporter to watch Empire religiously enough to recognize the actor and know that both he and his character are gay. There were some great jokes make by black conservative pundits about that!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 6:49 am
Nothing new under the sun. Fake news "hate crimes" seem to be the big thing these days.

https://hotair.com/archives/20.....long/

Penalties range from "case dropped" to a slap on the wrist misdemeanor. Rolling Eyes No wonder Smollet thought he could get away with this so easily.

Fox

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Nothing new under the sun. Fake news "hate crimes" seem to be the big thing these days.

https://hotair.com/archives/20.....long/

Penalties range from "case dropped" to a slap on the wrist misdemeanor. Rolling Eyes No wonder Smollet thought he could get away with this so easily.

The irony is that Andy Ngo, the reporter in the link, is regularly called names based on the fact that he's an Asian gay man -- by leftists whose protests and events he's covering.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:04 pm
Fox wrote:
The irony is that Andy Ngo, the reporter in the link, is regularly called names based on the fact that he's an Asian gay man -- by leftists whose protests and events he's covering.

He's obviously not the right flavor or something. Wrong intersectionality. Rolling Eyes

shoshanim999

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:25 pm
Mevater wrote:
Wouldnt Smollett have much more chance of getting a job in the industry, if he admitted what he did, and apologized, instead of continuing to insist hes innocent, and saying everyone is wrong about him?

At this point the answer is probably yes. However, normally society believes whatever is convenient for their pre conceived narrative. For example well over 50% of the black community wanted to see O.J. Simpson walk (and continue to search for the REAL killers) Nevermind the overwhelming evidence, O.J. was not guilty. So Smollett would have reason to believe that as a gay black man he would have the unwavering support of the left, regardless of any mounting evidence. Unfortunately for him, even cnn commentators like Don Lemon and Van Jones have been very against him. There still is some support but not as much as he might have thought.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:24 pm
Mevater wrote:
Eh.

Im sure there are many multi-millionaires in frum communities with a "Taiva" to be even richer and more well-known. They just dont go about it this stupidly.

I don’t think we should be pointing to frum Jews to say, “Well they do it too.”
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics