Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Gluten Free Challah using this flour

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:05 am
I have some gluten free guests coming for Shabbos and bought some flour called Bob’s Red Mill Baking Flour 1-1. Has anyone used this for challah before?

simcha2

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 6:21 am
It will probably work, but will be shehakol and not hamotzi

aussie2

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 8:37 am
Nope. I really can't see it making a good texture challah dough and as the other poster mentioned it would be shehakol.
You best options are (assuming your GF guest can eat GF oats- and you should ask them that.)
You can purchase Katz's gluten free challah in your store's freezer section (or I have seen a company called berri-oat that sells GF challah in some stores..)

If you want to go the route of making them challah I would buy a challah blend (which I have seen in many frum store) Full n'free makes a challah mix (it's kind of the idea of a duncan heins mix that you only need to add a few ingredients.. but it costs $13 so kind of expensive..
There is this company http://blendsbyorly.com/buy-no.....w_wcB
(I just bought this blend for my daughter for $5 but the store I bought it in has great prices..)
Btw I just need to say you are super devoted for trying to make your gf guest challah. my daughter has celiac and challah is one thing we ALWAYS bring along when going out for a meal bec it's a real pain for the hosts to make and I always have some in the freezer for my daughter or I can easily buy it..

baltomom

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 8:57 am
Just a note that the Orly challah blend needs to have oat flour added to it to be hamotzi. She has instructions for that on her website.

baltomom

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 8:58 am
The Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 mix is great for baking cookies!

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:04 am
Thanks everyone

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:07 am
Btw I just need to say you are super devoted for trying to make your gf guest challah. my daughter has celiac and challah is one thing we ALWAYS bring along when going out for a meal bec it's a real pain for the hosts to make and I always have some in the freezer for my daughter or I can easily buy it..[/quote]

Thanks. Unfortunately I could only shop at Walmart this week and they didn’t have any oat flour.

pecan

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 10:59 am
baltomom wrote:
Just a note that the Orly challah blend needs to have oat flour added to it to be hamotzi. She has instructions for that on her website.

Can you clarify? I am copying and pasting from her website. It sounds like she's already made it hamotzi.
We are so excited to offer an easy way to make your own delicious gluten-free challahs at home. We added 12% oats to the flour content so that you can make a HamOATzi blessing on your challah. Use this artisanal gluten free challah bread mix to make your own traditional braided challah loaves, challah rolls, brioche and sandwich bread. You can even bake delicious challah bread loaf in a bread maker - all in the comfort of your own kitchen. Made with high quality and nutritious grains including millet, sorghum, fine brown rice, and gluten free oat flour. This delicious mix is perfect for those with allergies and sensitivities.

anonymrs

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 11:29 am
Rories gluten free oat dough makes much better tasting challah than Orly's. I've tried both.

baltomom

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 11:50 am
Whoops! You're right. Orly's challah blend is hamotzi, but you can only bench on it if you make it with additional oat flour.

pecan

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:37 pm
It depends on your taste. I would take orly's over Rori's any day. I think orly's is so much better.
How do you add oat flour for bentching? She should have that written on the package. Any links that you can post for information?

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:39 pm
Is there gluten in spelt?

pecan

Post Fri, Feb 22 2019, 12:52 pm
Yes, there is gluten in spelt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads