Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Weather in yerushalayim now

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 9:59 pm
Hi! I will be visiting next week iyh and was wondering what type of clothing to pack. What are people who live there wearing now? Winter clothes? Medium weight jackets? Rain gear? Black tights or nude?

Thanks!

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 10:04 pm
Following

zebra111

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 10:09 pm
Its that funny time of year where ur in wintery clothes one day and then it feels like spring the next. Id say hold off packing until nearer the time, and then check a good forecast site like 02ws.co.il

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 10:14 pm
Definitely black tights whatever the weather - no one will be in summer clothes yet.

Winter clothes.
Medium coat is probably good.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 11:34 pm
Thanks!

Like the same winter clothing I am wearing in NY now? Or more like spring clothing but not light colored?

I checked the weather sites. Hard to tell....

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:26 am
It can get very cold at night even when it was warm and sunny during the day. Wear whatever tights you like, there is a full mix here.
Check the weather before you start your day, it can be sunny and clear in the morning but rain later.

Israel is situated between three weather systems, so that makes predictions difficult and less accurate that other locales.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:40 am
Layers so you can be warmer or cooler depending on the time of day.
I'm normally okay in just a jacket. For sure during the day. But there have been days that a coat was needed. Mostly a jacket with gloves and a scarf, sometimes a sweatshirt under was enough though.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:23 am
Check the weather closer to your travel dates. The past few days gave been relatively warm, but Tuesday it's supposed to go back to cold and rainy. As we get closer to March the weather can be cold and wet maybe even snow or warm, dry, and apring-y and anything in between. You might even get both extremes on your trip.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:39 am
I was in yerushalayim from Feb 6 till Feb 11. It was freezing and raining. I was told light coat, layers, blah blah. I ended up wearing my quilted spring jacket under my medium weight puffer, because I did not pack my warmer coat!

So pack whatever you own in winter/fall gear. Worse case scenario, you won't use it....

blessedjmom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:07 am
Don't know what the weather will be like next week, but right now it is winter. Bring a coat, winter clothes, and black tights. I would say bring a sweatshirt so you can always take your coat off if you feel it's too hot. Safe travels.Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:13 am
All the above. Layers, layers, layers!

If you have a warm fuzzy sweater that is really pretty, bring it. Lightweight wool skirts are good, and so are knee boots that are somewhat waterproof. Don't bother packing an umbrella, you can get cheap ones here for 12 shekels (I call them "disposable", because they only seem to last a season.)

It's really gorgeous right now, and the rain seems to come mostly at night. It doesn't pour down for more than a few minutes, and then it turns into a light drizzle. Days are mostly clear and sunny, with big fluffy clouds.

grace413

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
All the above. Layers, layers, layers!

Don't bother packing an umbrella, you can get cheap ones here for 12 shekels (I call them "disposable", because they only seem to last a season.)

You can get umbrellas to last a whole season? You're doing well. One good gust of wind usually kills them.

Jerusalem weather in February/March is everything and anything.

Important to know: Inside is also colder than in the States. Even heated places are not as warm as you may be used to.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 8:28 am
Thanks so much for all your replies! It is very helpful!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:14 am
FWIW, we were once visiting Petach Tikva in March. Boiling hot, no comparison to NY at that time of year - but zero ice-cream in the shops because "it's winter"! Surprised

etky

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:57 am
grace413 wrote:
You can get umbrellas to last a whole season? You're doing well. One good gust of wind usually kills them.

Jerusalem weather in February/March is everything and anything.

Important to know: Inside is also colder than in the States. Even heated places are not as warm as you may be used to.

ha ha was just going to say that LOL

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
FWIW, we were once visiting Petach Tikva in March. Boiling hot, no comparison to NY at that time of year - but zero ice-cream in the shops because "it's winter"! Surprised

There is ice cream in both the groceries and the ice cream shops in Jerusalem all winter long.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:55 am
This was many years ago - perhaps things have changed Very Happy

grace413

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:58 am
amother wrote:

Yes, they have: we also have ice cubes now LOL

etky

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:59 am
amother wrote:

They have. Used to be that ice cream was for summer and in winter you had Krembo.
Ice cream is available year round now.
Not sure about the Krembo since it's not something I look for or notice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics