Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Country toward the end of pregnancy

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 7:57 pm
I’m due beginning of September that means I’ll be going into my 8th beginning of July and 9th in Aug. I obviously wouldn’t go upstate in my 9th month but would you rent a bungalow for the first time in ur 8th for “first half”(I never officially rented a bungalow) in a way I’m thinking it’ll be easier to be there then running after the kids on the block in the city. What’s ur opinion?

Fabulous

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 8:00 pm
No. Going to the country, especially for the first time is a lot of work. I find the setting up, packing up and even the day to day of keeping it normal and taking care of kids needs in much smaller space way more work than at home. Also, very hard and expensive to find cleaning help even if you need

shanarishona

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 8:07 pm
I thought about a similar scenario. Think about what hospital you would go to if you had any concerns.
(Although my doc said that past 28 weeks they can helicopter a baby to a better nicu, still you would want to be able to get to a good ob department)
Not to say you shouldn't- just good for thought

Bliss

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 8:18 pm
I don't think it'll be any easier for you running after the kids in the country, in my opinion it's actually much harder there in that regard. That said, many peaple go even in such situations. It's wise to check out a decent nearby hospital in case you need to see them in an emergency.

gumby

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 8:22 pm
I would go but see if you could hire a mother’s helper to help you out with running after the other kids.

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 23 2019, 9:20 pm
I don't know if it would be a good fit for a first time unless you're going together with family/friends who would help you out. If someone already goes to the country, there's no reason to not go when expecting unless they have some special risk. But if you've never been before then it's a whole different adjustment.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:01 am
BTDT though it wasn't like described (no work, they did the food). I didn't enjoy being away

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:08 am
shanarishona wrote:
I thought about a similar scenario. Think about what hospital you would go to if you had any concerns.
(Although my doc said that past 28 weeks they can helicopter a baby to a better nicu, still you would want to be able to get to a good ob department)
Not to say you shouldn't- just good for thought

Do you know how expensive a medical helicopter is? Your insurance may not pay for it.
I know someone that had an accident in the Catskills. They had a helicopter ride to a major trauma center. This ride costed thousands of dollars that came out of pocket.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 5:15 am
amother wrote:
Do you know how expensive a medical helicopter is? Your insurance may not pay for it.
I know someone that had an accident in the Catskills. They had a helicopter ride to a major trauma center. This ride costed thousands of dollars that came out of pocket.

It took me a while to figure out that "country" = Catskills Laugh

Anyhow, why would you need a helicopter for all but the most dire of emergencies? There are hospitals in the Catskills.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 7:46 am
DrMom wrote:
It took me a while to figure out that "country" = Catskills Laugh

Anyhow, why would you need a helicopter for all but the most dire of emergencies? There are hospitals in the Catskills.

Helicopter would only be needed in case of emergency. But I wouldn't say that there are hospitals in the Catskills. They may have the word hospital in their name, but they're more like urgent care centers.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 7:51 am
I would not go to the country for the first time when pregnant. It's not easy at all. Its much easier to stay home.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:36 am
I am doing just that iyh. Due the dame time as you and going to the country for the whole summer. But its not my first time.
To those who say its harder there, in my personal experience that was not true. In the city my kids need me to entertain them and do stuff and go places. Cant just sit home. Its quite boring and there are no neighbors around. And the weather is sticky and humid.
In the mountains there are lots of kids for them to play with. I could watch them (mostly) from sitting in one place. Hardly ever had to go out in the car on trips.
I am looking forward to not being in the city in my 8th and 9th month.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:02 am
Totally agree. The country is easy for kids unless they are all under the age of 3. But any age above that love the freedom to run around and are in day camp during the day. You don’t need to do major cooking or cleaning and can sit and relax in the fresh air more than in the city. Again if there is a possibility to hire a mothers helper do that if you need to. The first few days of shlepping enlist your husband to help you and you’ll be fine

Fabulous

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
Totally agree. The country is easy for kids unless they are all under the age of 3. But any age above that love the freedom to run around and are in day camp during the day. You don’t need to do major cooking or cleaning and can sit and relax in the fresh air more than in the city. Again if there is a possibility to hire a mothers helper do that if you need to. The first few days of shlepping enlist your husband to help you and you’ll be fine

There are many things to consider: age of kids is one. IF there is laundry in the bungalow- many do not and requires shlepping that you often can’t wait for dh. If the kids make friends and enjoy or may not because they are the new ones there. I don’t know but I found it to be more work. I also tend to cook real food most days rather than just pizza and pancakes for dinner. And the space is much smaller and harder to work with than at home. Also the Laundry, small kids, cleaning more because no cleaning lady etc.. we all enjoyed but it was a lot of work
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics