Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Philippines measles death toll
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:10 am
11,000 cases
189 deaths.
2 months

Most people say the 10% death rate often quoted is very wrong. It’s more like .5%.
How do you explain this?

My friend who doesn’t vac said getting measles is no big deal and part of growing up like shown on the Brady bunch.

But these are very real numbers

Madagascar - another stat
68,000 cases
553-900 deaths.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:18 am
Well, ten percent of 11,000 wouuld be 1,100. 189 deaths in 11,000 cases would be closer to 1-2% I think.

But you're right, it absolutely can be a "big deal." I've heard that things like the Brady Bunch were appropriate for their time, because it was inevitable that kids would get measles, some severely, and some would die, and so the media of the time sort of tried to downplay it so as not to freak the kids out.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:29 am
Hmm. You are correct numbers are very low.
So does that make the measles no big deal?
It is closer to the .5% mentioned by non Vader’s. They sound correct.
But the numbers still sound so horrible.
So many deaths. Even if it’s a small percentage.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:33 am
even if a person doesn't die from measles, that doesn't mean that there are no long term health affects. It also doesn't mean that the person won't be in pain while dealing with measles.

I think just looking at death rates is not seeing the whole picture.
And I also think the ppl in the Philippines and Madagascar would think your friend is an idiot for not vaccinating.

chestnut

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:36 am
Low death numbers wouldn't be so low any more if it were someone's child that she knew

WhatFor

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
Hmm. You are correct numbers are very low.
So does that make the measles no big deal?
It is closer to the .5% mentioned by non Vader’s. They sound correct.
But the numbers still sound so horrible.
So many deaths. Even if it’s a small percentage.

Is that number actually considered low? If the op's stats regarding the Philippines are right, that's approximately a 1.7% death rate for people who get sick. For every 200 people who catch it, approximately three will die. And it's contagious from simply breathing the same air as someone who is contagious.

Seriously imagine for every 200 people in a community who catch a sickness one winter, three people dying chv. Imagine how awful that would be. (And that's not even including non-fatal effects.)

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
11,000 cases
189 deaths.
2 months

Most people say the 10% death rate often quoted is very wrong. It’s more like .5%.
How do you explain this?

My friend who doesn’t vac said getting measles is no big deal and part of growing up like shown on the Brady bunch.

But these are very real numbers

Madagascar - another stat
68,000 cases
553-900 deaths.

I imagine those 189 families think it's a pretty big deal.

gande

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:13 am
Non vaxers will point out that our medical care and hygene is much better so our risks are much less that 1%

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:15 am
We can't compare statistics of developed countries to developing or undeveloped countries.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
... non Vader’s

although maybe a scene from where they slaughter the Jedi trainees would be more appropriate.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
We can't compare statistics of developed countries to developing or undeveloped countries.

If society regresses back to the way things were in the early 1900s (I.e. no vaccinations), we will be right alongside those undeveloped countries.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
If society regresses back to the way things were in the early 1900s (I.e. no vaccinations), we will be right alongside those undeveloped countries.

And the anti-vaxxers will think, great, the subway will be five cents again.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:14 pm
gande wrote:
Non vaxers will point out that our medical care and hygene is much better so our risks are much less that 1%

In the case of measles, hygiene has nothing to do with transmission. How many people walk around with face masks for themselves and their children? Hiding

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:20 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
In the case of measles, hygiene has nothing to do with transmission. How many people walk around with face masks for themselves and their children? Hiding

I think the Japanese and Chinese have figured it out. To westerners the hospital masks look creepy, because we read faces so much. Most Asian people value their privacy AND their health, so the masks are not considered weird.

I have a friend who wears a mask every time she has to fly somewhere, and people always want to move seats away from her because they think she's contagious. She actually has a severely damaged immune system, and the slightest cold could put her in the hospital. (She also wipes down every touchable surface around her seat with alcohol wipes before she sits down.)

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:

What? This makes no sense. We have a Healthcare system, hygiene, good nutrition, of course we are way ahead of the Philippines! Sorry but I can't seriously extrapolate data from them to the USA.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 12:54 pm
trixx wrote:
What? This makes no sense. We have a Healthcare system, hygiene, good nutrition, of course we are way ahead of the Philippines! Sorry but I can't seriously extrapolate data from them to the USA.

We have a healthcare system that provides vaccinations. If vaccinations are abolished, your good hygiene and nutrition won't save you from measles, and yes, the stats would be exactly the same as the Philippines.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
We have a healthcare system that provides vaccinations. If vaccinations are abolished, your good hygiene and nutrition won't save you from measles, and yes, the stats would be exactly the same as the Philippines.

What a ridiculously uneducated post.

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:

So our first world hospitals are comparable to the Philippines, okay.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 1:37 pm
trixx wrote:

A critical component of the Healthcare System is vaccinations. A good part of where we are today is due to the success of vaccination. If we eliminate this crucial aspect of it, we won't be that much ahead of the underdeveloped countries. If we have to expend much energy and capital to begin fighting these mostly eradicated diseases again, how much energy and capital will be available to continue bettering and developing treatments for other diseases?

Hygiene and good nutrition will only get you so far.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
'We have a healthcare system that provides vaccinations. If vaccinations are abolished, your good hygiene and nutrition won't save you from measles, and yes, the stats would be exactly the same as the Philippines.'

'What a ridiculously uneducated post.'

On the contrary. Amother seashell is absolutely correct. Communicable diseases which are airborne are just that, very difficult to eradicate without a vaccine.

As taken from a medical website (UpToDate.com):
'transmission occurs via person-person contact as well as airborne spread. Infectious droplets from the respiratory secretions of a patient with measles can remain airborne for up to 2 hours. Therefore, the illness may be transmitted in public spaces, even in the absence of person-to-person contact......the period of maximum contagiousness is estimated to be from 5 days before the appearance of rash to four days afterward. (SSPE is not contagious, and someone affected cannot transmit the measles virus'.

So, to reiterate, good 'hygiene' and basic first world healthcare in and of themselves are worthless without vaccines.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics