Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Daughter is a bookworm. Very Chasidish. Which gentile books?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:19 pm
I'm very chasidish. Which public library books will be 100 percent kosher for a very chasidish girl? Will I find there frum authors? She likes haskofa and some novels or historical fiction or crime solving. If you read good gentile books that had nothing inapropriate there please suggest. I think sherlock holmes or other investigator stories would be good but they have to be super clean. Not just clean of love. I want clean of philosophies etc. She is in high school.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:20 pm
Frances Hodgeson Burnett
Louisa May Alcott

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:23 pm
Honestly, other than absolute classics you wont find anything up to those standards. Not even Anne of Green Gables or Agatha Christie would qualify.
Marcus Lehman, maybe?? Though technically those have a bit of romance in them, too.
Maybe Sherlock Holmes, but I can't imagine a lot of teenage girls really enjoying Arthur Conan Doyle, to be honest.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:24 pm
In Monsey the library has an entire frum section and I take out those. Otherwise classics like books written by Mark Twain etc.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:26 pm
Even Jane Austen has romance. And I love Mark Twain but I dont know that a teenage girl would.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:28 pm
I would suggest avoiding picking up random books in the library if you're nervous about hashkafa. If you have BPL membership, go online and search authors and titles you know and trust, and put the books you want on hold. They will bring it in from wherever it is and you'll get a message when it's available for pickup.

Here's a good resource to check if you're comfortable with specific titles:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/

Make sure to search for the book, not the movie, that you're looking for.

Chinuch.org has book lists as well.

ETA:
The Brooklyn Public Library has Jewish novels and books for kids in English and even in Yiddish.

urban gypsy

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:47 pm
This is a great resource
https://betweencarpools.com/mo.....e-is/

meyerlemon44

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:50 pm
Nancy Drew?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:52 pm
The three investigators books are super clean. You probably won't find them in the library, you may have to buy them - try biblio or abebooks or eBay.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:53 pm
Nancy Drew is more for an 8-12 age range, even 12 is probably pushing it. Anyway it has been through so many reprints with various updates and new writers through the years.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
Frances Hodgeson Burnett
Louisa May Alcott

These are good. Also Caddie Woodlawn. Nancy Drew has a boyfriend so that may not work.

GetReal

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:54 pm
Nancy Drew has a boyfriend and Louisa May Alcotts books have male-female relationships. I would consider these books clean but it seems op wouldn’t.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:55 pm
Thanks a lot. What about books with trips around the world for my son. Any? Like Venice Swizerland and ski. Such places.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:57 pm
What about the Little house books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. They may be written for a younger age but I think they're timeless.

They're squeaky clean.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 2:57 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
The three investigators books are super clean. You probably won't find them in the library, you may have to buy them - try biblio or abebooks or eBay.

Which three? so much good info here that Im confused

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
Which three? so much good info here that Im confused

They're called "The Three Investigators". Its a series - around 40 books. They're boys, though. But I liked them, and some other posters here mentioned they liked them.

Written by different authors, I think one is Robert Arthur. The first book in the series is "The Secret of Terror Castle".

Chinuch.org has a list, which is rated, I think I posted it a while ago.

I remember reading Trixie Belden but don't remember if there were any relationships... I think there were some hints so that may not work.

youngishbear

GetReal wrote:
Nancy Drew has a boyfriend and Louisa May Alcotts books have male-female relationships. I would consider these books clean but it seems op wouldn’t.

The more recent writers have updated the mysteries and relationships to reflect modern teens' interests. It covers topics like TV stars, Bess's obsessions with cute boys and celebrities, etc. If OP has high standards, she should probably read them each before giving them to her daughter.

I remember loving the American girl books, especially the later longer books like the mystery series. Even there OP should be careful, because the books about Rebecca, for example, don't have the greatest hashkafah.

thunderstorm

amother wrote:
Thanks a lot. What about books with trips around the world for my son. Any? Like Venice Swizerland and ski. Such places.

Be careful. Many books about other countries have photographs and some can have women half dressed such as in Africa where many women don't cover their breasts.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:08 pm
Jane Austen doesn’t have more romance than most frum contemporary books that involve dating or shidduchim of any sort. Please, there is subtle romance in most frum novels that deal with shidduchim. Same with Austen, and they are shomer negia as well.
Anyway, like most people said, you will be hard pressed to find totally kosher books but here’s some I can think of off the top of my head. Oh and general rule: stick to middle grade historical fiction and classics (though read reviews first—some have seriously questionable thematic elements... Sherlock Holmes Copper Beeches, Jane Eyre, Howard’s End...)

The boy in the striped pajamas
The hobbit by j.r.r. Tolkien (it’s fantasy if you don’t have an issue with that and squeaky clean)
Anne of green gables (why did someone say it might be an issue? Cuz if her nightly prayers? It does have mention of such xtian things. The romance with Gilbert is sooo subtle though in this book I wouldn’t consider it a issue)
Heidi
Alice in wonderland
The narnia series ( this one might be an issue for you. There’s a whole controversy surrounding it. It was written by a devout xtian and can be read as a mashal of his values, however if you aren’t exposed to those values you don’t make the connections and it’s just an interesting fantasy story. However you may have an issue with it hashkafikally because of its intent.)

Will think of more later

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
What about the Little house books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. They may be written for a younger age but I think they're timeless.

They're squeaky clean.

If OP’s daughter hasn’t yet been exposed to secular books then middle grade books aren’t “too young”. The quality and vocabulary tend to be higher so many would be comparable to frum books geared towards older ages.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room