Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Daughter is a bookworm. Very Chasidish. Which gentile books?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:51 pm
kenz wrote:
A Separate Peace is about a gay teenager. He doesn’t act on it but it’s blatantly there. That’s almost certainly what was blacked out.

This was denied by the author himself and most rational humans.
Gosh, so if there is a female in it, it must be a hetero romance, but if two men are friends, it must be a gay romance?
I guess the only acceptable version of masculinity is a lonely man walking around shooting everyone, Mad Max style? Confused

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:54 pm
Has anyone mentioned Dibs in search of self?

kenz

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:58 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
This was denied by the author himself and most rational humans.
Gosh, so if there is a female in it, it must be a hetero romance, but if two men are friends, it must be a gay romance?
I guess the only acceptable version of masculinity is a lonely man walking around shooting everyone, Mad Max style? Confused

This is what I was always told and was trying to help someone who asked a question. I didn’t do a study. I really don’t care if he was or wasn’t. And I don’t know who Mad Max is. And it’s still probably the reason passages were blacked out.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:01 pm
kenz wrote:
This is what I was always told and was trying to help someone who asked a question. I didn’t do a study. I really don’t care if he was or wasn’t. And I don’t know who Mad Max is. And it’s still probably the reason passages were blacked out.

You said it was BLATANTLY there but there are no explicit passages in the book. Do you know what was blacked out?
My school went completely nuts blacking out absolutely everything but nothing was blacked out in A Separate Peace.

kenz

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:10 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
You said it was BLATANTLY there but there are no explicit passages in the book. Do you know what was blacked out?
My school went completely nuts blacking out absolutely everything but nothing was blacked out in A Separate Peace.

My Bais Yaakov well-read daughter read it in school and asked me if it wasn’t strange that the school allowed it for this reason. (She knew I was ok with her reading it.) I asked her how she could tell and she said it’s obvious from the way the boy talks about his friend. So regardless of author intent, to some people it does seem blatant. Not that that’s the point of this thread.

kenz

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:12 pm
kenz wrote:
My Bais Yaakov well-read daughter read it in school and asked me if it wasn’t strange that the school allowed it for this reason. (She knew I was ok with her reading it.) I asked her how she could tell and she said it’s obvious from the way the boy talks about his friend. So regardless of author intent, to some people it does seem blatant. Not that that’s the point of this thread.

Quoting myself to say before you decide to comment in any way about my daughter, please don’t.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:15 pm
Kenz, have you read the book ????

I don't really know what to say about this except WOW kids these days have changed!

kenz

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:16 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Kenz, have you read the book ????

I don't really know what to say about this except WOW kids these days have changed!

Yes though admittedly a hundred or so years ago

Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:21 pm
kenz wrote:

The blacked out parts were probably due to mild bad language.

Another vote to a recommendation above, My Brother Sam is Dead. Fabulous Revolutionary-era historical fiction.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:22 pm
kenz wrote:
Yes though admittedly a hundred or so years ago

I went to high school about 15 years ago
I have always been allowed to read and watch anything I wanted uncensored.
I was probably the least sheltered and most imaginative kid in my entire school
And it would never have entered my mind to think that Gene and Finny were gay Confused
Admittedly that was before the advent of fanfic shipper culture....

kenz

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:27 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I went to high school about 15 years ago
I have always been allowed to read and watch anything I wanted uncensored.
I was probably the least sheltered and most imaginative kid in my entire school
And it would never have entered my mind to think that Gene and Finny were gay Confused
Admittedly that was before the advent of fanfic shipper culture....

Yes but when you opened a presumably innocent Family Circle magazine you didn’t have two men sitting arm in arm on a couch with their kids at their feet. It’s a different world.
Plus I’ve heard this theory from others, I didn’t make it up. I imagine this was a topic of conversation in school as well. And that’s really all the time I’d like to invest in this.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:28 pm
kenz wrote:
Yes but when you opened a presumably innocent Family Circle magazine you didn’t have two men sitting arm in arm on a couch with their kids at their feet. It’s a different world.

You are completely correct. It's unbelievable how much has changed in such a short time.

Laiya

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
Has anyone mentioned Dibs in search of self?

Reminds me of another one in that genre, I Never promised you a rose garden

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 7:15 pm
I recently read a add from Menucha Publishers that’s they censored books like classics and top sellers. Maybe try to see what they have to offer. Their not jewish authors

Reality

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 9:43 pm
Black beauty
National velvet
An old fashioned girl
Bridge to terabithia
Tuck everlasting

I tried to think of books that would be interesting to a teenage girl. I feel like some of the prior suggestions are a little off base OP

eschaya

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:10 am
What about
where the red fern grows
My side of the mountain

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:21 am
PLEASE check the books suggested her. The boy with stripe pj has very inappropriate affair between a young adult and a married woman. It's disgusting.

Try common sense, and room613.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:10 am
Reality wrote:
Tuck everlasting

I was thinking of this (I love that book!) but if I recall correctly there is quite the romance between Winnie and Tuck.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:11 am
eschaya wrote:
where the red fern grows

I love this book!!!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room