Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you are vegan or eat healthy plant based...

abaker

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:08 pm
Post what you eat in a day. I believe in eating a healthy, whole food plant based diet. Looking for some inspiration on how it's possible in the frum world. I am incorporating better choices a little at a time.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:57 pm
I am not vegan or vegetarian, but I try to make vegan, or vegetarian meals during the week.

Some great sources on the internet that I have found are:

https://nutritionrefined.com/

https://www.fablunch.com/

https://www.thebuddhistchef.com/

Also, if you have cookbooks, many have some vegan recipes if you look. There are a few in Spice and Spirit, and some Norene Gilletz books, and some others. Usually they are in the bean/ lentil type of section.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:11 pm
I am not vegan or vegetarian but wholeheartedly approve of whole, unprocessed foods whether animal or plant based. For me, plant based is too high in carbs but I firmly believe e that those who can handle it, can eat a diet rich in healthy fat, moderate in protein and relatively ( to processed garbage) low in carbs and be healthy.

I make my own spice mixes, mayo and rarely buy anything that isn’t an ingredient. Vegans can have unbelievably unhealthy diets, just like meat eaters can. Those who eat healthy and unprocessed foods on both sides do much better than those who eat garbage. Great goal!

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:17 pm
Lots of fruits and veggies, obviously. Lots of chilis and other bean dishes (make sure to soak them). Lots and lots of tofu. Hemp, tempeh,

Lunch is a big salad. Snacks are nuts, veggies, fruits.

Dinner - chilis, lentil soups (red, squash, etc.), tofu dishes, quinoa, veggie burgers/fish, lots of cauliflower sides

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:20 pm
Follow Toby talks health on Instagram that's her diet basically. Clean eating.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:21 am
I’m confused how this conflicts with a frum lifestyle- only issue I can see is being a guest at meals where you don’t want to overwhelm the host with your eating restrictions but there are solutions to that

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 8:58 am
abaker wrote:
Post what you eat in a day. I believe in eating a healthy, whole food plant based diet. Looking for some inspiration on how it's possible in the frum world. I am incorporating better choices a little at a time.

I used to be but had to switch for health-- even though I ate a balanced diet, I have autoimmune diseases and developed allergies that make plant-based hard. Sometimes I still accidentally end up eating vegan. For example:

Breakfast: meal-prepped oatbran made with rose water and topped with cashews, coconut, pomegranate molasses, and freeze dried fruit (apricot and pomegranate this week) alongside a cashew-milk yogurt.

Lunch: "red beans and rice" (kidney beans, cauliflower rice, celery, onion, don't like pepper but it should be in there, tomatoes, spices) with a side of sweet potatoes and some frozen kale.

Dinner: rice noodles and fresh veggies (usually cabbage sliced thin, spiralized carrots, chopped raw broccoli florets, whatever else we have on hand) in homemade cashew sauce (cashew butter, coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, coconut oil, and water to thin)

That's this week because breakfasts and lunches are meal prepped-- dinners vary, like yesterday I had fish with leftover shabbos veggies for dinner. Last week dinner was boiled turnips with sautéed shiitake mushrooms, turmeric sauerkraut, half an avocado, then I realized I needed protein and threw a quick poached egg on it.

Other weeks breakfast is homemade cold brew decaf coffee mixed with homemade cashew milk or store bought nondairy milk and protein powder (collagen powder for me, so not plant based). If I get sick of coffee I do the same thing but with cocoa powder and cinnamon and cardamom. I've also done it with powdered freeze dried banana and berry too.

A former favorite lunch to meal prep back when I could regularly eat soy was miso soup bowls. I would fill bowls with shredded carrot, cabbage, frozen veg, enoki mushrooms, leftovers, whatever sounded good, then some of those super thin rice vermicelli noodles, a splash of soy sauce, sesame oil, sriracha, and a table spoon or two of miso paste plus tofu cubes or edemame or an egg pancake cut into strips (like Pesach soup "noodles"). Freeze the tupperwares and take to work. Leave out all morning then add hot water from the cooler and stir. Let stand for a minute and voila "instant noodle soup" but kosher and healthy, no crusty trayf office microwave needed.

Another favorite breakfast if I have time to sit down or have access to a microwave is a sweet potato bowl. Basically leftover boiled sweet potatoes (or microwaved) topped with a dollop of coconut yogurt and then stewed frozen blueberries with cinnamon (or microwaved). It's also rear with peanut butter and banana but I can't eat peanut butter anymore.

Another former favorite involving peanut butter is a west African peanut stew. The base is broth, tomato paste, smooth peanut butter and spices or hot sauce. I usually put in white beans or kidney beans, sweet potatoes, and collard greens or frozen kale or spinach.

Gosh now I'm hungry from that trip down memory lane. LOL

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:23 am
nchr wrote:

Typical adult breakfast is a shake but kids get oatmeal, pancakes, chick pea omelettes, fruits and basically anything you can think of.

Have you tried socca/farinata? It's like a chickpea frittata but somehow more amazing. It's equal parts water and chickpea flour, mix and let stand for 20 minutes (ideally overnight), skim off any foam. Add salt or other seasonings and pour into a greased pan and bake until set and the top starts to brown and cracks (usually less tha. 10 minutes). I like making this Sunday morning or motzei shabbos and add in onions that have been sautéed (almost carmelized) and then cooked down in leftover wine with whatever herbs I have (Rosemary is my fave). I can make enough to slice and eat for breakfast for the next few days.

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:25 am
tichellady wrote:
I’m confused how this conflicts with a frum lifestyle- only issue I can see is being a guest at meals where you don’t want to overwhelm the host with your eating restrictions but there are solutions to that

Idk if it's so much lifestyle as culture. In my community there are more and more people like OP but the mainstream is still heavy in mayo, refined carbs, preserved meats, fried foods, added sugar (even in salads!), and very few vegetables or fruits.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 10:55 am
I am not a vegan or vegetarian but I really like Michael Pollan's ideas about food and I try to incorporate them into our meals. I am not an absolutist but his approach makes the most sense to me so I try to follow it.

I try to choose packaged foods that have as few ingredients as possible. I get my kids snacks like chips, kettle corn, fruits and veggies, brown rice krispie treats (Trader Joes is great for snacks without a lot of extra junk). Annie's organics makes a fruit roll up that is actual fruit so that is a fun treat. (Not all of their snacks have hashgacha so you have to look at each package).

I try and serve fruits and veggies with lunch and dinner. I really like his theory that our protein should be the size of a deck of cards and the rest of our plate should be whole grains and vegetables.

Some meals I make that fit that example are stir fry, bean and veggie tacos, pasta with meat, spinach, tomato sauce and any other veg I want to use, farro with different veggies and a cheesy sauce, greek turkey and rice skillet, korean beef bowls with either rice, cauli rice, zoodles and I make a whole topping bar of raw veggies for my kids to choose what they prefer. I get dr pragers fish sticks and bake them and serve them as fish taco bar with rice, lettuce or cabbage, avocado sauce.

abaker

Post Sat, Mar 02 2019, 10:02 pm
Coming back to this and I see so many amazing ideas and inspiration. Yes it's really hard to be surrounded with junk food everywhere we go. White flour, oils,sugars, processed foods and nosh. I flip back and forth because I do want to eat healthy and really we don't eat so many animal products. Mostly just chicken. Cheese maybe once a week if that. No dairy milk. I am thinking to make a vegan dinner menu for this week. Simple and filling stuff. Help me out. I am thinking I will have soup with dinner most nights. I have a pot of blended vegetable soup in the fridge. I can make salad or cut vegetables and fruit as part of the meals. Just trying to come up with kid friendly mains. One night I can do bean and quinoa chili. Another night make your own rice bowls. The baked sweet potato idea levlongandprosper posted sounds like a good idea too.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 10:20 pm
We had Chia Pudding tonight so wanted to update this thread with it. The kids actually loved it, but one doused it in chocolate sauce, soo?

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 10:47 pm
abaker wrote:

I can't see how keeping kosher could be an problem with vegan diet. If you mean socially/ cultrually... for a while I did vegan 6 days but ate a little fish and/or chicken on shabbos and yomtov. Don't know if that's a possibility for you.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:51 am
levlongnprosper wrote:
Have you tried socca/farinata? It's like a chickpea frittata but somehow more amazing. It's equal parts water and chickpea flour, mix and let stand for 20 minutes (ideally overnight), skim off any foam. Add salt or other seasonings and pour into a greased pan and bake until set and the top starts to brown and cracks (usually less tha. 10 minutes). I like making this Sunday morning or motzei shabbos and add in onions that have been sautéed (almost carmelized) and then cooked down in leftover wine with whatever herbs I have (Rosemary is my fave). I can make enough to slice and eat for breakfast for the next few days.

Wow, all your menus and recipes sound amazing! I do a lot my meatless cooking by making ethnic food like Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, and Indian.

I have besam (chick pea flour) in my cupboards. Do you think this recipe would go well with Indian food?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 1:55 am
levlongnprosper wrote:
Idk if it's so much lifestyle as culture. In my community there are more and more people like OP but the mainstream is still heavy in mayo, refined carbs, preserved meats, fried foods, added sugar (even in salads!), and very few vegetables or fruits.

That's classic Ashkenazic food. Sephardic food is so much healthier. It's closer to a Mediterranean Diet. If you use the spices correctly, no one will notice there's no meat. Even in the meat recipes, the meat is just one of many ingredients, not the main deal.

etky

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 4:03 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
That's classic Ashkenazic food. Sephardic food is so much healthier. It's closer to a Mediterranean Diet. If you use the spices correctly, no one will notice there's no meat. Even in the meat recipes, the meat is just one of many ingredients, not the main deal.

Depends which Sephardic/Mizrachi cuisine.
Yemenite food, for example, has many dishes that are fat and carb calorie bombs, with little nutritional value.
There is also quite a lot of frying involved in many mizrachi dishes.
But overall I think it's probably a correct assumption.
The main difference is in the raw materials. It's true that there was more of an abundance and variety of fresh vegetables available to cultures living around the Mediterranean Basin and their cuisine relies much more heavily on them than does Ashkenazi cuisine.
They also use healthier fats and, as you said, tend to use meat as just one ingredient in a dish that also features other elements like rice, pulses, grains and vegetables.
Come to think of it, even the fact that they use spices like turmeric, cinnamon, chili peppers and cumin and green herbs like parsley and cilantro so liberally probably makes their food healthier.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 4:18 am
I was thinking of mostly the Iraqi, Iranian, and Moroccan food that I've had.

Oh, the things they can do with eggplant...bliss! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen