Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Recommendations for my picky 14 yr old daughter
1  2  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:41 pm
She likes but doesn't love to read. Doesn't like sci/fi fantasy or historical fiction. She says she likes books about "relationships" and by that she means a little romance. Im fine with a little hugging/kissing but not more than that. I found several ya books written by beverly cleary that she loves (fifteen, sister of the bride). I realized later that they were written in the 1960s which is why the amount of romance is perfect Very Happy I feel like im looking for a needle in a haystack and welcome any and all suggestions!

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:43 pm
It sounds like the classics would be perfect.

A Room with a View
The Blue Castle
Pride and Prejudice
Little Women

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:52 pm
Looks like I forgot to mention she doesn't have much patience. I would love for her to read the above classics but she won't give them the time of day. Thanks for the ideas though!

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:55 pm
How about Princess Academy?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 9:58 pm
Mary Stewart books? From 1960s I think.
Maybe M.M. Kaye mysteries. You probably wouldn't approve of her historical novels, but the mysteries are clean. From the 1950s, I think.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:27 pm
Does anyone know if The Princess Diaries and other books by Meg Cabot would work for OP?

I read them too long ago to remember their level of hygiene.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:41 pm
The first few princess diaries are for sure good. Not certain about later ones.
I actually preferred meg Cabot’s Airhead series (vegan SJW type girl whose brain was implanted into her worst nightmare—a supermodel). There is slight romance and mention of model-related and celebrity stuff if that’s an issue.

Perfect Heist series by Ally Carter (all her books would work actually)
13 little blue envelopes by Maureen Johnson
Andrew Clements (all his books)
Pretty Crooked series (modern day Robin Hood story)
The Lions of Little Rock (amazing book, even though it’s historical fiction it takes place in the 60’s so it’s not so far off)

soundofsilence

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:55 pm
The "Shoes" books by Noel Streatfield
the Anastasia books
the Betsy Tacy and Tib books - the ones about Betsy when she is older. And other books by Maud Hart Lovelace - Emily of Deep Valley etc.

the Wednesday Wars
Izzy Willy Nilly

The Princess Diaries are not very refined... I don't remember if anything more than hugging/kissing happens but there's constant obsession over who is girlfriend/boyfriend with whom...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:05 am
Every Soul a Star, hand holding and maybe a peck on the cheek. DD says that if she could only keep one book in the world, it would be this one.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 7:05 am
No to the princess series by Meg Cabot if that's the one the movie was made from about a girl who finds out she is a princess. I got that out of my library about a month ago, it was in the clean and classic section. I'm pretty laid back about what my kids can read, but the opening chapter was about wondering if her mom and her math teacher who began dating were French kissing and if they were sleeping together. Just way to over the head of my sheltered 14 yr old daughter.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:56 pm
Thank you all so much for the recommendations. Meg Cabot is exactly the type of author she loves so you all got that right - eg from the notebook of a middle school princess. But like one of the other posters mentioned, the princess diaries reference quite a bit more than hugging and kissing so I'm not comfortable with that. I wish she would like sci/fantasy bc there's so much good stuff for her age but she really doesn't. It's extra tricky bc she likes some romance. I will look into all the other suggestions!

srbmom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:06 pm
Quote:
the Betsy Tacy and Tib books - the ones about Betsy when she is older. And other books by Maud Hart Lovelace - Emily of Deep Valley etc

Was going to come on here to suggest these. These books were my favorites as a teen!!! I must have read each of them over 5 times. Perfect amount of romance to make it intriguing for a sheltered bais yaakov girl but 100% clean

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:14 pm
would she like fantasy mixed with romance? Shannon Hale has some great ones... Ella Enchanted...

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:43 pm
Books with mild romance that I remember from my childhood:

Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman
Little Women
the later books in the Anne of Green Gables series
ditto with the Little House on the Prairie series

Basically, you're a lot safer with older books if you can get your daughter interested.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:48 pm
The other two teen books written by Beverly Cleary are The Luckiest Girl and Jean and Johnny. If she liked the Sister of the Bride and Fifteen, she will enjoy these.

Of course, I have to recommend the later Betsy Tacys as well as Carney's House Party and my favorite, Emily of Deep Valley, all by Maud Hart Lovelace.

librarygirl

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 4:42 pm
Another vote for ella enchanted, and Wednesday wars.
Also when you reach me by rebecca stead
Dealing with dragons series by Patricia wrede
Frog princess series by e.d. baker

shoshiesavannah

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:12 pm
I second Ally Condie novels. I really enjoyed the “Matched” series! All clean from what I remember, the author is Mormon.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:30 pm
I would not recommend Up A Road Slowly; it was kinda gross as I recall.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:36 pm
Yes, I reread it as an adult a few years ago and liked it much better as an adult. As a kid, I was kind of traumatized by the character of Aggie. It was an upsetting storyline for a kid. Not to mention what happened to her best childhood friend.
And I couldn't really appreciate or fully understand the dynamics of the sibling relationship between her aunt and uncle. When I read it in my 30s, that was the most powerful part of the story.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 6:06 pm
Up a Road Slowly is fantastic, but there is a character who falls pregnant out of wedlock. It is addressed in a subtle manner, but not as squeaky clean as other books mentioned.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room