Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Poll: children who bite, hit and kick

Has your child ( ages 1-4 ) hit, bit or kicked ( pinched, etc) any other child ever ?
Never  
 11%  [ 2 ]
once or twice at most  
 16%  [ 3 ]
occasionally, if something upsetting happens  
 33%  [ 6 ]
we had/have a stage where this behavior was/is frequent  
 33%  [ 6 ]
other, please explain in your post  
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Mandy

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 12:52 am
A poster recently noted in another thread that her child would never hit or bite anyone else and if so, she would consider it her personal failing :

Quote:
If it was my child biting and hitting (about as possible for me to imagine as my child growing wings and flying) then I DID NOT DO ALL THE RIGHT THINGS!

This sounded unusual to me and I wondered how many other parents have children that always or usually play nicely and have never had a "stage" of biting or kicking or other violence.

What did you do if you had this problem ? Did you view it as something that resulted from your parenting skills or just developmental ? How long did it last ?

mommy2

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 9:45 am
Quote:
If it was my child biting and hitting (about as possible for me to imagine as my child growing wings and flying) then I DID NOT DO ALL THE RIGHT THINGS!

she never said she had children.

Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 9:53 am
lol mommy2

children always go through a "physical" stage, and that is not directly connected to the parenting. of course how it develops later on can be connected to parenting, but all toddlers sometimes bite, hit and kick.... the more verbally developed they become, the less physical they usually get. (please note: I am making a general statement!!)

imaamy

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 9:58 am
My almost 6 year old is doing this now out of frustration. We are giving severe consequences. It is horrifying!

micki

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 7:06 pm
my 3 yr old bit her classmate when the kid took away a toy from her. we moved house and I was in hospital with new baby when it happened.

the teacher understood but my maidel wsa reprimabded anyway.

dee elle

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 3:35 pm
IMAAMY, have you ever heard of the parenting books called, "Love and Logic"? My son is at the same stage and this book has amazing approach.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 2:59 pm
I have to admit that for a very little while when she was 12 months old, my child realized that when she pulled a playmate's hair, I would end the play date immediately...so when she got bored or tired, she would go pull someone's hair and then come to me to go home. Of course, I spent a few days desperately trying to get across to her that she could skip the pulling step and I would just take her home whenever she was ready!

ElTam

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 5:04 pm
My child bites me, and occasionally hits me, but noone else. B"H, she seems to be outgrowing it.

chochma73

Post Tue, Aug 23 2005, 2:19 pm
Every child is different my girls would not hit or bite but my son is another story. If he is frustrated or not a turn at a toy he will come and hit me (not the other kid (usually)). I don't like it and am trying to get him to stop but I don't think this is any way unusual and as said before most kids go through a hitting stage for one reason or another.

raizy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:47 pm
my little son turned into a little tyrant this year he doesnt let the other kids play with his speical toys like a carriage and a certian doll and ball. he sees someone playing with it he will run over and hit bite . he doesnt really know how to hit but he is trying to do it.

what should I do. he has to share . it is hard bc I run a day care. and he was to share his toys. like he has 4 little chairs outside and he puts a dolly on each chair he doesnt like it when the kids take off the doll and sit on it. the chairs I insist he shares but really where do I draw the line. what is his and what does he have to share.? he is 16 months old . his playmates are 16 months and 12 months.

Mandy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 12:43 am
It is very hard. Try to give him some of his own private space and his own toys. Other than that, focus on "taking turns" rather than sharing. That seems to be an easier concept for the little ones to get first.

1stimer

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 3:08 pm
How willing are you to share your car, or your favorite peice of jewellry? Wink

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 4:32 pm
I think it's wong to think that if your child does this, you have done something wrong. Your kids can be very well behaved but do this every so often. Lots of kids go through this & u need to help them snap out of it. My 2 year old has started biting people (especially the baby) & it is sooo frustrating because she understands but won't listen. I put her in her crib everytime she does it. It seems to be slowing down a bit. Maybe it's just a phase.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics