Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Explain Neighborhoods in Baltimore
Previous  1  2

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
If you are looking for a safer area stick with greenspring. That means Pickwick, Ranchleigh, Indian Village, Summit Park, and certain areas in Cheswold near Shomrei.

Park Heights is more yeshivish but closer to the dangerous area. Greenspring is a mix.

There is also the Seven Mile area which is probably more safe than park heights and less safe than greenspring.

There are city and county homes. In the city the houses are cheaper but taxes are higher. County houses are generally more expensive but taxes are much less. If you want a brand new house and can spend 600k then go for a Beazer home or a fixed up Ranchlei house. The shuls around there are Rabbi Eichenstein and Rabbi Seideman. If you want to spend less ( in the 300s) go for a house in Indian village or summit park. The summit park houses are bigger but Indian village is closer to shuls. Pickwick area goes in the 400 so that would be middle of the road price wise.

The vast majority of crime this past year was in all of the areas that you listed in your first paragraph. Remember the mobile command center? PH is safer now!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:42 pm
So we pretty much ruled out Park Heights. We are seriously considering Beazer and Greenspring. Would like to have at least four bedrooms. I really don't want to rent because we are so tired of being renters at this point. I rather buy and make it work or sell if I have to. I think my kids would go to TI (have to find out about toras simcha) and bnos yisroel but not really committed to either yet.
If anyone has more to add I would appreciate.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:41 pm
I don't know where you live now, but are you able to get to Baltimore for a Shabbos to see the communities, shuls, and schools firsthand? A picture in this case is worth well over 1000 words. As far as schools, Bnos Yisroel is really hard to get into these days due to very limited spots, so I hope you're open to sending to Bais Yaakov if need be.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:
So we pretty much ruled out Park Heights. We are seriously considering Beazer and Greenspring. Would like to have at least four bedrooms. I really don't want to rent because we are so tired of being renters at this point. I rather buy and make it work or sell if I have to. I think my kids would go to TI (have to find out about toras simcha) and bnos yisroel but not really committed to either yet.

Beazer strikes me as very not yeshivish, and more about keeping up with the jones's than other areas in baltimore.
Check out cheswold, its a very good in between and great middle of everything location

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:

Did you consider the TA neighborhood? Only thing is that most families there (if not all ?) send their boys to TA....
my friend lives there, she moved there quite a few years ago. I have spent shabbos there at her house and really liked the people who live there. It is homogenously yeshivish, most families live simply rather than having fancy homes, and there is a small community achdus feeling with all the amenities of being a part of the bigger Baltimore community.Age range of couples living there is about 25-75, with a majority being about 35-45 I think.

They also have a new mikva for friday nights which might attract more people. As of now I think there are about 30-35 frum families, definitely a majority of them teach in TA, but there is a growing number of those who don't work in TA but were just looking for a nice place to live. From what my friend tells me, houses there are 4-5 bedroom and are going for upwards of $250,000. And its safe (very little crime there even when our neighborhoods here in the rest of Baltimore are hit with a lot of break-ins), middle class suburban neighborhood, about 5 minute drive from 7 mile market which is on the outer edge of the greater Baltimore jewish community.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
Beazer strikes me as very not yeshivish, and more about keeping up with the jones's than other areas in baltimore.
Check out cheswold, its a very good in between and great middle of everything location

and the people I know in Beazer are not really so yeshivish. I also think its more TA families there and fewer TI families. But not definite on that.

Another nice neighborhood is the 7 mile area , streets like Marnat, Shelburne, olympia, Nerak, Wallis. But on some streets there, the houses are much smaller. But definitely more yeshivish there than beazer!

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 11:59 pm
Bnos is very hard to get into. My daughter goes there. They keep the school very small intentionally and accept for the youngest grades with a raffle (not like what we’ve all heard about Lakewood/Monsey, they dont pick and choose who they like better from the applications!). My daughter came as a transfer from out of town when we moved to Baltimore and people were shocked that we got in because they are known to almost never take new students; the grades are simply full. We got lucky. Just be prepared to send to BY if Bnos says they are full - and people love BY also. You cant go wrong with either school.

We started out boys at TI and switched to TA. TI goes through July, just be aware. We love TA, we saw Rabbi Kahana at Kosher Bite tonight actually and my preschooler was so thrilled to say hi to him. There are 1000 boys in the school and let me tell you, if Rabbi Kahana had no idea who my son was, he sure as heck made it look like he did, and it seemed like it made his night to see the little boy! He is just warm and the sweetest man in the world.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:13 pm
Do you consider yourself more NY-type or more OOT?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
Do you consider yourself more NY-type or more OOT?

OOT
Not into conformity. Friends will all types and stripes, dont need to dress to impress or conform, etc could never live in Brooklyn/Lakewood/ monsey

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:38 pm
Then I think you will fit in better (and be happier!) in 7 Mile or Cheswolde areas.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
OOT
Not into conformity. Friends will all types and stripes, dont need to dress to impress or conform, etc could never live in Brooklyn/Lakewood/ monsey

You dont want Beazer then. Thats where most of the NYers move to.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:31 pm
I would call Debbie Finkelstein who is one of the main real estate agents here and she will be able to explain the nuances to you very well, as well as what is available. Most of the Jewish community is safe. I wouldn't feel comfortable living on the side of park heights closer to Reisterstown, but we live on the other side, closer to Cross Country and love it.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
I would call Debbie Finkelstein who is one of the main real estate agents here and she will be able to explain the nuances to you very well, as well as what is available. Most of the Jewish community is safe. I wouldn't feel comfortable living on the side of park heights closer to Reisterstown, but we live on the other side, closer to Cross Country and love it.

Thank you! Do you happen to have her number?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:02 pm
You can also try Bondar Realty. Ask to speak to Aliza Wein. She can really help you with the nuances in each neighborhood. 410-653-1999

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:14 pm
Iyh coming to visit by end of March. !
Bnos yisroel already told me they have no room for my daughters Confused
Hope to visit all boys schools to get a feel. I assume they're open on Sunday mornings.
Will call the realtors.
I know this is such a minor thing but it's the mikva nice?
Did seasons ever open?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:58 pm
The Mikva is nice not gorgeous but not disgusting. It's near fallstaff clarks lane area. Seasons is now Market Maven and closer to TA area. Seven Mile market is near Park Heights area and shoppers that has tons of kosher food is near greenspring, ranchleah area

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
The vast majority of crime this past year was in all of the areas that you listed in your first paragraph. Remember the mobile command center? PH is safer now!

Park Heights is closer to the bad neighborhoods and less people are moving there. Even though there is crime in Greenspring it is further away from bad neighborhoods and a better bet in terms of safety.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
Park Heights is closer to the bad neighborhoods and less people are moving there. Even though there is crime in Greenspring it is further away from bad neighborhoods and a better bet in terms of safety.

In Baltimore, all of the neighborhoods in my opinion are the same in terms of safety. We bought a house this time last year and the houses were snapped up just as quickly in all parts of town. Not sure why you think people arent buying in Park Heights.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:50 pm
We've been very happy with Bais Yaakov; hopefully you will too!

The boys' schools are open Sunday mornings, TA from 2nd grade up (so you won't be able to see the preschool in action if that's relevant to you). Not sure if TI has school on Sunday for preschool or only 1st grade and up.

The newly renovated mikvah is actually VERY nice.

Hope your visit goes well!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating