Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How walkable is your community?
1  2  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:10 pm
We live in Far Rockaway.

One of the things we love about the area is that we consider it quite walkable. The schools are nearby. There is a grocery store, pharmacy, and cleaners in walking distance. The parks are nearby. The shuls are nearby. Etc. Some may not consider Far Rockaway as walkable, but for us, we do find it very walkable. A 5 minute walk isn't a big deal to me.

According to Zillow, our area has a high Walkability score.

One major consideration about moving to another area is the dependency on having a car/driving everywhere. Besides the extra expense that would incur, we really like the idea of living someplace that's not so car-dependant. What communities out there are walkable & not so car-dependant?

Thanks!

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:19 pm
We are in Chicago with one car and it works out fine for us. I walk a lot but DH is not so into that lol. I would say one car is a must. Two would depend on your jobs. Now I walk to work and past jobs I took the train which you can get to by bus, car, walking/biking if you really like a good excercise lol.

I live in the middle of the neighborhood and in 5-6 blocks I can get to the kosher grocery store, bakery, dry cleaner, bank, a couple produce stores, a pizza restaurant. If I wanted to walk a mile-ish in the other direction, there is a large chain grocery store, target with pharmacy, more restaurants, judaica store.

There is plenty to do that does require a car so you need one but if you are someone that likes walking you can do plenty without it too.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:19 pm
Near far rock away or anywhere in the US? What are you looking for besides walkability?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:26 pm
We live in Spring Valley & nothing is walking distance. I think all communities in NYC are considered walkable.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:29 pm
I live in France and everything here is walkable except the school because schools go where they can afford or are donated a plot. I do everything by foot

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:46 pm
Lots of walkable places in E"Y.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:13 pm
tichellady wrote:
Near far rock away or anywhere in the US? What are you looking for besides walkability?

Walkability is very important to me for a few reasons, but without getting into it, I would say that besides for walkability I would prefer closer to tri-state area but am interested in hearing about communities anywhere in the US. Beyond that, of course a nice friendly community... We are middle of the road type... Etc.

Thanks, all.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:29 pm
Part of the reason we're not moving out of our city is because we don't want to have the expense of 2 cars instead of 1 and change our lifestyle.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
Walkability is very important to me for a few reasons, but without getting into it, I would say that besides for walkability I would prefer closer to tri-state area but am interested in hearing about communities anywhere in the US. Beyond that, of course a nice friendly community... We are middle of the road type... Etc.

Thanks, all.

All the frum areas have every amenity nearby.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks, all.

Highland Park, NJ. High walkability.Two eruvim that join between New Brunswick and Highland Park.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:39 pm
Parts of Monsey are walkable. Or depends where.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Parts of Monsey are walkable. Or depends where.

If it means a half hour walk to the closest grocery store and an hour walk to the rest of basic shopping 😉 Really most of Monsey is a distance to walk. But if you don't mind the walk than it's a non issue.
This Shabbos DS had a siyum at his rebbes house and they ate the Shabbos Seuda by him. It was a 1 and a half hour walk each way.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:52 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
If it means a half hour walk to the closest grocery store and an hour walk to the rest of basic shopping 😉 Really most of Monsey is a distance to walk. But if you don't mind the walk than it's a non issue.
This Shabbos DS had a siyum at his rebbes house and they ate the Shabbos Seuda by him. It was a 1 and a half hour walk each way.

As I said, it really depends where. I live close enough to Town Center to walk. It's even faster to walk than drive there.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:58 pm
vienna is very walkable. id say it is almost only walkable Smile

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:16 pm
I’m in cedarhurst and it’s walkable. I live in walking distance to central. I don’t live near the school my son goes to because it’s in far rockaway but wouldn’t want to live Walking distance to darchei anyways. Brooklyn is walkable city. Lakewood isn’t. Baltimore isn’t. Monsey isn’t.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:20 pm
Don't come to North Woodmere if you want walkable! We're entirely residential and other than shuls everything we need is a driving distance away.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:22 pm
Midwood is like... everything you need within a five block radius. I like it!

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 5:27 pm
I live in a tiny OOT community in Europe. (big city, small community) Its really walk-able even though we are in a suburb. I have 3 excellent (not kosher) supermarkets within 2-10 minutes walk of my house. (and lots of other shops, banks, bookshops, coffee shops, a library etc nearby) The kosher food shop is a half hour walk but its a gorgeous riverside walk mostly, and they deliver. School is 10 minutes away. Also lots of parks and playgrounds nearby. I work from home so I almost never drive anywhere.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 7:05 pm
Manhattan is extremely walkable.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 7:15 pm
Cheiny wrote:
All the frum areas have every amenity nearby.

Um. What?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating