Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pareve kosher ice cream STEP IT UP
1  2  Next

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:15 am
Haagen Dazs non dairy puts the kosher companies to shame. How can we improve kosher pareve options?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:19 am
Tofutti ice cream is amazing. I haven't seen it in Israel yet, though.

I also really miss RiceDream.

When I'm craving something creamy, sorbet just doesn't cut it.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:21 am
Trader Joe's makes really good pareve soy based ice cream too.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:23 am
Ben and jerrys non dairy puts the frum milchigs one to shame too.
I used to eat chalav stam and this is so hard for me.
How hard could it possibly be to replicate the non Jewish flavors??! Chunkey monkey, peanut butter fudge.....there are hundreds of amazing amazing flavor combos but the best the frum companies can come up with is cookies and cream

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:27 am
I find great pareve ice cream in the non kosher section. Coconut bliss is amazing and so the so delicious almond and cashew milk ice cream is pretty good too.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:29 am
little neshamala wrote:
How hard could it possibly be to replicate the non Jewish flavors??! Chunkey monkey, peanut butter fudge.....there are hundreds of amazing amazing flavor combos but the best the frum companies can come up with is cookies and cream

We loved Ben & Jerry's but our grocery store stopped carrying it (rightly so) due to their involvement with the anti-Israel BDS movement. Very happy not to support the brand but miss the ice cream.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:30 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Trader Joe's makes really good pareve soy based ice cream too.

Love Trader Joe's ice cream! Pareve cherry chocolate chunk is a family favorite

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:36 am
gold21 wrote:
We loved Ben & Jerry's but our grocery store stopped carrying it (rightly so) due to their involvement with the anti-Israel BDS movement. Very happy not to support the brand but miss the ice cream.

So weird, because every store in Israel carries it!

Hardly any parve ice cream options here, and most are nasty. Everyone wants those fruit ices that kids like, and the adults eat cake.

While I'm complaining, why is mint chocolate chip not a thing here? I've been searching for it for 4 years now, and no one knows what I'm talking about. Banging head

groovy1224

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:37 am
little neshamala wrote:

I actually was very un-impressed with B&J non dairy ice cream. Seemed very watery to me, not like ice cream at all.

I imagine there's just not enough of a demand for such varied flavors of CY ice cream. I have had some good CY ice cream, but it was very basic. Chocolate, vanilla, etc.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:10 pm
HD has a nondairy frozen dessert? Why was I not informed?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:17 pm
zaq wrote:

They have a line of vegan products, sorbets, ice creams, bars, etc.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Tofutti ice cream is amazing. I haven't seen it in Israel yet, though.

I also really miss RiceDream.

When I'm craving something creamy, sorbet just doesn't cut it.

FranticFrumie, I've seen it in my local Shufersol Deal! DH laughs at me because I was so startled when I saw it. If you have a big one, it may be in the organic/gluten free fridge section. My other local smaller one doesn't carry it.

The other way to step it up is to make it yourself. DH and I got an ice cream maker this year and before we turned it dairy, made the best parve ice cream you've ever had. I took a dairy recipe and used soy milk and rich's whip instead of milk and cream.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:01 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I find great pareve ice cream in the non kosher section. Coconut bliss is amazing and so the so delicious almond and cashew milk ice cream is pretty good too.
We love these too!

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:03 pm
DH bought it for sukkos years ago and it was so good I kept asking him if he was sure he did not get milchig by accident. That conversation did not end well haha.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:04 pm
So Delicious ice cream bars are to die for. I still cant believe they're dairy free

YoYo

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:

The other way to step it up is to make it yourself. DH and I got an ice cream maker this year and before we turned it dairy, made the best parve ice cream you've ever had. I took a dairy recipe and used soy milk and rich's whip instead of milk and cream.

Ask your LOR, but your ice-cream maker is very likely still perfectly parve, even though you've used dairy ingredients. Used cold and clean, it'll be as pareve as can be. Check it out.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:12 pm
YoYo wrote:
Ask your LOR, but your ice-cream maker is very likely still perfectly parve, even though you've used dairy ingredients. Used cold and clean, it'll be as pareve as can be. Check it out.

especially since you are unlikely to be eating it together with meat.

Ben and jerry's ice cream is actually marked as DE, which means it is made on dairy equipment but you can still eat it after a meat meal. (and some people who eat only CY won't eat it)

Swedish glace ice cream (esp choc flavour) is pretty good. For some reason they only sell vanilla round here but people are very impressed with it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 7:58 pm
zaq wrote:

I was just about to post this!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 8:02 pm
was

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 9:12 pm
nchr wrote:
https://vegnews.com/2017/7/haagen-dazs-debuts-four-vegan-ice-creams

They say "OU-D" because of dairy equipment and they are delicious. More flavors are coming this summer.

Thank you!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen