Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
1:1 Aide in School
1  2  Next

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:12 pm
So my son has been having a rough year in school and has been exhibiting some problematic behaviors in the classroom. The school is now insisting that we get a 1:1 aide at our own expense.
For those that have a child with an aide, who pays for it? How much do you pay annually?

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:16 pm
I have a friend who's a one to one aid. I know she is paid by the parents. As to how much that was something she negotiated with the parents based on experience and such... I think she's paid by the hour. Somewhere in the 15-20 dollar range.

But it's only for school hours.

Last edited by singleagain on Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:17 pm
Sometimes insurance pays, sometimes the board of Ed pays, sometimes the parents pay. It depends where you live and what your child qualifies for. You should think about targeting the root of the problematic behaviors, otherwise an aide alone probably won't be that effective.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:22 pm
I agree with Natural. You have to get to the root of the issue. My second grader has some behavioral challenges and we tried a shadow on Sunday mornings to help him with specific social issues he was having in the classroom. It was a so-so experience. We do a lot of other intervention to help him so this was just one small piece of the puzzle.

When its not done well, it can become a crutch for the child and make them stand out socially.

We paid $20 an hour and she was supervised by our sons therapist.

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:01 pm
Duing the summer when my son was not eligible for services the school asked us to have someone shadow my son. The school helped us find someone: they put an ad in the paper and we paid for it.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:39 pm

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:47 pm
YES! DH and I talk about this a lot. Our son is gifted/ADHD with some ASD traits. He will always be a square peg in a round hole. Kids with only learning issues have a lot available to them, kids who are profoundly disabled have choices, kids who throw chairs have choices. Kids like ours who are just outside the mainstream really dont. This is not a knock on yeshiva. Our has been decent so far. Some of the best public schools in my area fail kids like this. Its really hard! At this point he is in a mixed day program between yeshiva and a therapeutic school but he is the highest functioning kid in the class so all the gains he has made have come at a cost. He wants so badly to be in yeshiva so we push forward but its really really hard!

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:01 pm
Equally frustrated
With all our interventions he’s bh doing ok now in a regular class setting
I want him to do more than ok though

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:04 pm
I dont know your child of course but when mine wasnt doing good and I couldnt afford a full time aide someone gave me an idea to look for someone already working in the school with a light workload who can pull him out for a few minutes or longer ever so often

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 7:29 pm
Bump. Anyone else?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 8:01 pm
We were also forced to get an aide for behavior problems. We went through a few young girls and I payed them myself $15/hr since we really couldn’t afford more. It didn’t end up working out because someone who is willing to work for so little is just not going to do the job well enough. Dc is currently out of school and we are looking into other options.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 9:59 pm
The onus shouldn't be on you to provide what the board of ed needs to provide. My question is why the IEP would be denied. Have you done an IEE (an outsider's second look at the MFE/ETR process to see if an IEP is shayich?) An IEE is free to you-- the district needs to pay. Once he is on the IEP you can more easily fight for what they're not providing.

I fought the district for a 1:1 aide and got a trial period of 30 days of a warm body 1:1 aide (and not the SAME aide for all 30 days!). That failed miserably because it wasn't a well trained person-- just a warm body. Now the district pays for a very expensive special ed school. It's not a perfect match for my kid but at least he's only been suspended once in the past 2 years since he started there. While not placed out of district, he was suspended CONSTANTLY because our district has decided they can punish impulse control into a student with autism. blah.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 1:57 pm

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:04 pm
amother wrote:
We were also forced to get an aide for behavior problems. We went through a few young girls and I payed them myself $15/hr since we really couldn’t afford more. It didn’t end up working out because someone who is willing to work for so little is just not going to do the job well enough. Dc is currently out of school and we are looking into other options.

Even $15/hour would be a massive stretch for us. We are already barely covering our bills. How do other parents do it?

oneofakind

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:08 pm
First you need to find out the source. Is it the teacher? Is it your son's issue? Is there a behavioral plan in place? Is the teacher implementing it? If not, there should be. If they tried and it's not working, you may have to pay somebody to make up a plan and teach it to the teacher. You'll pay more up front but it may be cheaper than paying somebody (who might be useless) by the hour.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:46 pm
mha3484 wrote:
YES! DH and I talk about this a lot. Our son is gifted/ADHD with some ASD traits. He will always be a square peg in a round hole. Kids with only learning issues have a lot available to them, kids who are profoundly disabled have choices, kids who throw chairs have choices. Kids like ours who are just outside the mainstream really dont. This is not a knock on yeshiva. Our has been decent so far. Some of the best public schools in my area fail kids like this. Its really hard! At this point he is in a mixed day program between yeshiva and a therapeutic school but he is the highest functioning kid in the class so all the gains he has made have come at a cost. He wants so badly to be in yeshiva so we push forward but its really really hard!

I work in public schools in the related services, and there are many kids like that, and the schools seem to accommodate them well. I understand why you like them in Yeshiva but public schools are much more equipped to help special needs,

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:49 pm
I know plenty of twice exceptional kids in special Ed bored to tears in public school so it really depends on where you live. Not all schools are equal.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:03 pm
My twice exceptional kid would not have been accepted into yeshiva here and was in public school with a full time aide paid for by DoE until he was effectively kicked out after numerous suspensions.(because the aides were hopeless). He is now in.a special school which we have to pay for and is doing beautifully bli ayin hara. I was so upset when he had to be in a special school but it has been so good for him. I guess my advice is hang in there and be flexible with your options.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:25 pm
amother lilac--- my son was also kicked out of public school---- so the district is paying for his special school. Why is your district not paying? He is entitled to a FREE appropriate public education. Those who choose Yeshiva, if these private schools can meet their special needs, great--- they pay. But for those of us who aren't CHOOSING our schools but being bumped into them---- our districts need to pay.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:58 pm
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics