Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Hosting Purim Seuda!!
1  2  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:24 pm
I am super excited to be hosting the purim seuda this year!
I do know some of the women, but mostly it is dh's friends (and their families)

I am looking to delegate as much as possible, but I don't want it to be hefker.. I want to be organized and have it look stunning

Here are my questions:

Menu-
1. Adults- It'll be a sit down meal, but I don't want to be busy the whole time in the kitchen. I have a bunch of little ones and just having a ton of people in the house is going to be crazy as it is. What can I put on the menu for appetizer, main and dessert that is easy to prep and serve (ex: muffins instead of kugel that needs to be cut up and put on a serving tray) I do not want it to be a typical shabbos meal.. I don't plan on having a straight out theme in terms of gearing the menu towards that(although if you have an easy one to suggest I'm all ears!)
2. Kids- what is fool proof to serve the kids.. again, don't want to waste time making food that kids won't eat. Younger crowd of kids (mostly under 8).

Paper Goods/Table Decor-
I live in NY. I don't want to use typical amazing savings paper goods, I want something fresh and exciting (purim spirit!! but not just random colors.. I want it to be striking!) I don't want to deal with a gemach for tableclothes. I love being able to throw EVERYTHING out when its over. Where can I buy interesting paper goods but not spend a fourtane on it?!

If you have anywhere I can look at for inspiration (pintrest, instagram...) I'd love some links!

If you have any other tips, please please please share!!

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:36 pm
I’ve been hosting for 6 years. We do a different theme every year, last year was Mardi Gras, one year was the 80’s, one year Jazz/20s, another year a Hawaiian lua. We use paper goods and decorations according to the theme, invitation too and we always buy lots of costume accessories as well for the guests (who may not otherwise dress up)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:46 pm
I've hosted the Purim Seuda many times. I find it easiest to serve buffet style or family style with lots of serving trays and bowls on the tables .

I have made:
4 types of salads
Beef Stew
BBQ Wings
Pickeled Chicken Roast
Stuffed Cabbage
Franks n Blanks
Deli Roll
Doughless Potatoe knishes
Cabbage and bow tie noodles
Broccoli Quiche
Apple Kugel
Dessert : Nobody is ever interested by the time we get to it but I've done warm brownies with ice cream or three layered ice cream

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:51 pm
amazing, thank you for the idea! It's mainly a yeshivish crowd, so everything will be seperate.. that means I need two sets of everything (this is me thinking out loud, feel free to evesdrop!)

Whats the difference between family style and buffet?
Very smart bc I really don't want to be busy in the kitchen!

Keep ideas coming!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:52 pm
I love having the table set with a plated appetizer and then main dishes, sides and salads served family style with platters in the middle.

mfb

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 12:55 pm
I like buffet better. All the food stays hot on sternos.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:00 pm
Franks in blanks for everyone!!!

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:07 pm
I'm in total agreement regarding franks n blanks!!

I would love to do finger food for an appetizer, that can already be out on the tables when people come- does that make sense? I'm a little nervous to use sternos bc of the amount of kids that will be running around (I've never used them myself.. am I wrong regarding safety?)

If I do finger foods for appetizer, and rolls on everyones plates, do I go straight to main course after that?

Do I have salad on the table with the appetizers?

What finger foods does "everyone" love?
- franks n blanks
-potato knishes
- deli roll (not such a finger food, but same category.. am I wrong?)

cm

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
amazing, thank you for the idea! It's mainly a yeshivish crowd, so everything will be seperate.. that means I need two sets of everything (this is me thinking out loud, feel free to evesdrop!)

Whats the difference between family style and buffet?
Very smart bc I really don't want to be busy in the kitchen!

Keep ideas coming!!

Family style: Platters of food on the dining table
Buffet: Platters of food on a side table. Could be on Sterno in chafing dishes, which is helpful if you are serving hot food to a crowd.

Themed (or not) paper goods are available from Oriental Trading and party stores. Browse around and see what strikes your fancy.

Don't stress about dessert. Pick up a fresh fruit platter and a tray of cookies and call it a day. My seuda is much smaller than yours, and we just put whatever we received from MM on a serving tray along with some fresh fruit. But if you're hosting a crowd, you won't want to leave anything to chance.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:20 pm
By separate do you mean seperate tables? Or 2 ends of the same table? If you have the space for buffet (I don’t) that’s ideal but might require more gender mixing than you’re comfortable with, in which case family style (large platters passed on table) would also work.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in total agreement regarding franks n blanks!!

I would love to do finger food for an appetizer, that can already be out on the tables when people come- does that make sense? I'm a little nervous to use sternos bc of the amount of kids that will be running around (I've never used them myself.. am I wrong regarding safety?)

If I do finger foods for appetizer, and rolls on everyones plates, do I go straight to main course after that?

Do I have salad on the table with the appetizers?

What finger foods does "everyone" love?
- franks n blanks
-potato knishes
- deli roll (not such a finger food, but same category.. am I wrong?)

Keep in mind that franks n Blanks and Potatoe knishes will get cold if left out on the table. That's why I like buffet style with sternos.
I put out salads and challah rolls on the table. If you plan on serving a fish dish that can also be out on the table

nosher

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:22 pm
I put sides of salmon on the table for starters and a salad on individual plates.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:24 pm
Do I need to have fish (like on shabbos)?

If I have fish for appetizer I can't have franks n blanks out at the same time

What else should be on the menu?

The way my house is layed out I think the men and women will be in different rooms (connected rooms), not enough room in my dinning room for everyone

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:27 pm
Quote:
I put sides of salmon on the table for starters and a salad on individual plates.

I'm having a lot of people (don't have an exact number yet)... how can I serve salmon without giving each person a full peice (and without looking skimpy!!) I don't want to do a salmon salad b/c from my experience too much gets thrown out and the salmon isn't "appreciated"

mfb

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:33 pm
Please also prepare something for the kids to do so they don’t sit by their parents kvetching a whole time.
Maybe a tablecloth that can be colored...

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:35 pm
Quote:
Maybe a tablecloth that can be colored...

love this!! what kind of table cloth do you suggest?

any other kid ideas?

mfb

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 1:38 pm
I’ve seen plastic ones that come with pictures to be colored. Maybe google it

imamother153

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 2:04 pm
I’ve seen brown paper bag style tablecloths. For adults you can label each item with on the cloth with white chalk/marker. Ex. Drinks, flavored water, rolls, sourpickles/condiments. Etc.. the kids can color with colored washable markers.
Side of salmon in center of the table looks very presentable and let’s people take smaller portions without you looking skimpy.

egam

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

I'm having a lot of people (don't have an exact number yet)... how can I serve salmon without giving each person a full peice (and without looking skimpy!!) I don't want to do a salmon salad b/c from my experience too much gets thrown out and the salmon isn't "appreciated"

I make salmon skewers. It only takes 2 cubes of salmon and looks very good. I put fish and veggies in this order - piece of red pepper, salmon cube, zucchini slice, another salmon cube, piece of yellow pepper. You can use anything you like. I marinate veggies and salmon first separately. Skewer fish and veggies and broil them. Success every time! You can use any type of firm fish and any veggies you want.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 3:24 pm
I would do plated fish or sides of salmon with salads out on the table when they come. Then clear the fish plates and serve family style (on platters)

A meat dish
A chicken dish
Apple crumble or similar in over to table dish
Frank in blanks/ knishes
Rice or orzo
Green beans

How many ppl? Is it come and go? If so u have to worry about food keeping warm but otherwise u don’t
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics