Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Am I obligated to get orthodontics for kids
1  2  3  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:12 pm
Are parents obligated to get orthodontics for kids if dentist recommends it? It's for cosmetic reasons. Is this something that kids can take care of as adults. We are tight on money and this will put a big strain.

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:19 pm
Really depends on the details. Is it a minor thing or something that really impacts their appearance? I would answer differently depending on the severity.

momX4

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:22 pm
Go to the orthodontist and ask if this is something that needs to be fixed now or can wait.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:26 pm
tichellady wrote:
Really depends on the details. Is it a minor thing or something that really impacts their appearance? I would answer differently depending on the severity.

Exactly. In my case, the cosmetic difference was minor because the problems were mostly with my bottom teeth. My parents would have scraped to get me the braces if I had insisted, but I didn't see it as a big deal. No regrets. But if I had really unfortunate looking top teeth, I would have insisted on the orthodontics to correct them.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:32 pm
My child was ashamed to smile with his mouth open and people always asked me when he was getting braces. We knew that there wasn't a choice to wait. It affected his self esteem. There was a huge change in his personality as soon as he got them. He finally smiles and is no longer afraid to.
I have another kid with similar teeth and it's a given that we will have to do it as soon as all his permanent teeth come in.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:34 pm
Certainly not obligated. Should you stretch yourself for it? That's where I agree with the responses that it depends. I'm probably going to have to take out loans for my oldest's orthodontics, but it's a really bad cosmetic situation and I don't see it as something I can skimp on without regretting it.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:42 pm
Show us a pic and we'll tell u

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 6:56 pm
pricy but usually the answer is its a good idea to do it if so recommended - as far as letting them take it on as adults....it is much tougher, the problems usually grow with time and more over like when are they going to do this? when they are in shidduchim?
expensive but braces are far easier to manage when young and a true investment in your children hygiene, appearance, and more -- its really become the accepted norm
most orthodontists do take payments over time
not really fair to think its something kids can take care of when they are adults
hatzlocha

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 7:04 pm
It was a maybe situation with my kids. While their teeth weren't perfect, the orthodontist gave a great big maybe because their imperfections were minor. I agonized about it and decided to go for it because I often got compliments on my smile.

BH I did. The difference a gorgeous smile makes is amazing.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly. In my case, the cosmetic difference was minor because the problems were mostly with my bottom teeth. My parents would have scraped to get me the braces if I had insisted, but I didn't see it as a big deal. No regrets. But if I had really unfortunate looking top teeth, I would have insisted on the orthodontics to correct them.

Same. For me we pushed it off and it straightened out itself and today I'm relieved that my teeth weren't weakened for no reason. I'm sure they could have looked better cosmetically but they're fine.
If they would have made a significant difference in my look my mother would have found a way to do it (and I would have asked for it and said I needed it). My siblings who needed it, got it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 8:20 pm
DC who had braces contributed about 1/3 of the payment- they were in their early teens when they started. It's worth it to do it now if needed. Another dc had good upper teeth, lower teeth not as good, but you don't see it and it's mild, so we didn't do it.

Librarian

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 8:40 pm
Y. E. S.

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 8:47 pm
I've heard it's less painful and more successful if done before adulthood.

I pay for children's orthodontics, but not for lasering eyebrows.

But if they don't cooperate and do what they are supposed to with brushing, retainers, etc, and the results aren't great, then any additional cost to redo as an adult is on them.

Librarian

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 9:00 pm
When the first of my children needed braces I did not have an extra penny to my name. I had an extremely grueling job and almost no household help. I bought absolutely ZERO for myself. But it would have never, ever have occurred to me not to pay for braces for my child. Braces are a necessity. I have a friend who was a yesoma and her mother took a second job working for the orthodontist for a year and a half in the evenings to pay for her braces. It is a fact that health care workers will look at the condition of a child's teeth and make a judgement on how well a child is cared for based on whether the child has braces if needed. Even my 83 year old mil got braces as a child and she was raised by a single mother who worked very hard all her life. This is what we do for our children.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 9:27 pm
Cosmetics aside, everyone needs braces in a functional sense (but if you have no money, I dont think stealing or forgoing food would be justified to pay for braces). It's about jaw alignment even more so than aesthetics, which is why it's best to have it done at an appropriate age to ensure the bite is best. Not all Orthodontists do this though so for some it is all about the look. I know someone with a beautiful mouth and smile and gorgeous straight teeth. She told me she has bad TMJ from not having braces- if she got them now it would not fix the problem because her jaw is fully developed. Trying colleges, which may be cheaper.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:41 pm
Please do! Written by someone who is extremely complexed with her teeth and smile. My parents never wanted to spend on it since it was cosmetic but I have buck teeth which only protruded more with my wisdom teeth growing in and losing weight. I smile with my mouth closed and as well dressed as I am always feel like I’m being judged as why can’t she take care of her teeth? I don’t have an extra penny to my name but I definitely want to fix it as soon as I can and resent the fact that my parents didn’t take care of my cosmetic needs.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:57 pm
I just started at the orthodontist for one of my younger children I didn't even think I would need to worry about theses things yet we still have baby teeth. but what they are doing is helping with the jaw and you need to do that before your bones close I don't have any extra barley enough even but how can I not do this for my child.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:27 pm
My in laws didnt get braces for their kids. They all have unfortunate looking teeth. My husband is taking care of it now as an adult in his 30s. I resent his parents for being cheap. They should have taken care of it when he was a kid. If it was a one off thing and they were loving and attentive to their children otherwise I probably wouldn't feel this way but this goes hand in hand with the general neglect my husband grew up with.

If you care about your kids push yourself. It's costs 5k and can usually be paid out over time.

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
Are parents obligated to get orthodontics for kids if dentist recommends it? It's for cosmetic reasons. Is this something that kids can take care of as adults. We are tight on money and this will put a big strain.

What does your child feel about his/her teeth/bite?

aliavi

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:29 am
You mentioned that it was cosmetic, but in actually there are medical benefits to getting braces for so many of the cases (hence the dental insurance benefit). Easier and better oral care and proper jaw alignment (and benefits of both) are just some. Be sure to get the professional’s opinion before considering it as cosmetic.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics