Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Stein Yeshiva Yonkers Info
Previous  1  2

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:05 am
Violet123 wrote:
Thank you very much.
My options at this point is public school or homeschool.

If money is the issue, maybe we can brainstorm with ideas that could help.

If there are other issues, maybe someone knows of an alternative school

One way or another, hatzlacha to you and your child.

Anon because I started anonymous

Violet123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:10 am
Thank you for that.
My son isn't in public school because of money. I mentioned the money because knowing stein is not a special Ed school I would not consider spending that much
There is no appropriate school in Monsey for my son.

teachkids

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:14 am
Would you be comfortable telling us about his needs so we could help you brainstorm? Maybe northern Jersey or Manhattan has something

Violet123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:19 am
I appreciate that
All possibilities have been explored by now
I can't afford the special Ed programs(ex Sinai) and there's nothing here
He's also too young to send to Brooklyn.
Thank you. At this point I believe I can advise others about their school choices.

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:52 am
Violet123 wrote:
Thank you very much.
My options at this point is public school or homeschool.

Just letting you know that my hug was 100% genuine. It's hard to have kid who doesn't fit neatly into the available options.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:57 am
Violet123 wrote:
I appreciate that
All possibilities have been explored by now
I can't afford the special Ed programs(ex Sinai) and there's nothing here
He's also too young to send to Brooklyn.
Thank you. At this point I believe I can advise others about their school choices.

If he has special needs, be sure to request services from the Board of Education. Wrightslaw has a lot of great information.

I know you’ve tried everywhere, but wanted to make sure that included Carmel Academy.

motheringmother

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:02 pm
teachkids wrote:
Would you be comfortable telling us about his needs so we could help you brainstorm? Maybe northern Jersey or Manhattan has something

Not OP here, but also a mom struggling with a kid who has unique needs. My son is older though -- 13 years old. I started a new thread above -- and would be so grateful for any ideas or suggestions you have!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 11:03 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I’m also in a community that sends to SAR, and the less expensive alternatives are considered to be WTA and WDS. Stein is the school you send to when there's no other options.

Sorry, Violet.

WDS received an endowment and lowered tuition to undercut WTA (I am told) for the early grades. Beyond that, WDS set a new pricing model that is based upon adjusted gross income.

With the apparent tuition battle between WDS and WTA they are both worth reaching out to. If the tuition you are quoted is close between the two and manageable, Compared to WTA, WDS would be far and above the better choice with much more experienced staff, better facilities, included lunch, and operating since 1948.

Then again, if homeschool is an option, there are online based programs like this https://melamedacademy.com . WTA uses a Blended Learning Model which is effectively computer based learning supplemented with teachers. If you are willing to home school sounds like you can put together your own Blended Learning program at home.

There are discussion on Melamed Academy on this blog and others and might be worth researching.

Violet123

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:08 pm
What are WTA and WDS?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:49 pm
My information is from a long time ago, but my son attended Stein Yeshiva after having no other options, and came out ready to give up on Yiddishkeit. He said he was scorned by his peers for any attachment to mitzva observance. The staff was not helpful at all, hopefully there is a different hanhala there now.

Violet123

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:50 pm
How many years ago?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:54 pm
Violet123 wrote:
What are WTA and WDS?

Both are in Westchester. WDS -- Westchester Day -- is in Mamaroneck. The campus is magnificent. WTA -- Westchester Torah Academy -- is in New Rochelle.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:58 pm
Violet123 wrote:
What are WTA and WDS?

WTA is Westchester Torah Academy in New Rochelle, NY
WDS is Westchester Day School in Mamaroneck, NY

Violet123

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:03 pm
Thank you
Would you know what the tuition is?
And do they have any sort of special Ed program?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:11 pm
Violet123 wrote:
Thank you
Would you know what the tuition is?
And do they have any sort of special Ed program?

For WDS, use their "Tuition Calculator" on their site here
https://www.westchesterday.org.....ogram

They do say on their website to indicate on your application if your child has special needs but probably best to reach out to them to see if they have a special Ed program.

WTA's tuition is on their site here (note that lunch is not included in the tuition as it is as WDS)
https://www.westchesterta.org/tuition

I would be surprised if WTA had any resources for a special Ed program since they are having difficulty filling a single classroom per grade as is. But again, can't hurt to ask.

WTA and WDS aside, try contacting this organization to see if they can offer any advice
https://www.sinaischools.org/
They work with local Yeshivas to offer Special Education classes and they list those partnerships on their website.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:53 pm
Bumping this up, is this info still accurate?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics