Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Now I really can't sleep, I put baby on his stomach

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:40 am
My 7 months old has been waking up every 2-4 hours. It started around 4 months at that point. Tonight before he went to sleep at I fed him his solids gave him 45 minutes of play than breastfed him. Put him to sleep. 2 hours later he woke up th to eat. Than 3 hours later he woke up again. This time it was harder to put him back to sleep and eating defenitly not the issue out of separation I rolled him on his stomach maybe he wants to play and he fell asleep real quickly. But I'm worried because he doesnt roll over himself not in any direction. I personally know of a baby that died mom blamed on sleeping on stomach.plus he gets covered with a blanket any advice.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:44 am
How's do you know he's waking to eat?
Don't feed for if he ate 2 ago. He's not hungry. He's waking for comfort
How often are you feeding him during the day?

Also, what does the title of your post have to do with the rest of your post?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:51 am
You will find many opinions

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:54 am
Sorry the message accidentally got sent while I was still typing. The baby seems to sleep well once I rolled him over. But I worry about him sleeping that way. Even more so because he doest roll yet. And he's covered with a blanket he won't sleep without one He's sleeping actually with one hand under him. So like in between back and side positionsl right now

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 4:07 am
Could he have reflux? Silent reflux does not have outward symptoms. By baby used to wake up every hour and a half until diagnosed and treated.

ohmygosh

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 4:27 am
To me it's more of an issue that the child sleeps with a blanket than that he sleeps on his stomach. I would sleep a 7 month old on his stomach but not with a blanket.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 4:31 am
NO BLANKETS at all. Use a sleeper sack or double layer sleepers for warmth.

I just started putting my 6 month to sleep on stomach. He could rollover but won’t. He can lift his head really high from the waist and move around so I assume that is good enough. He is sleeping way better

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 4:43 am
I put my kids to sleep on their tummies as soon as they can hold their head up. (A few weeks max) Before that propped up on their sides.
I honestly don't know how you get your babies to fall asleep and STAY asleep on their backs. I tried both times until I just gave up.
Even in eishes Chayil the staff would prop up my babies. They never liked their back.

If be careful will a blanket though. Unless it's a super light airy one that can be breathed thru if it chv goes over the babies head, and low down the waste, then I'd keep it away.
And only for tummy sleeping babies. I've never had a blanket like that ride up.

But I have seen back sleeping babies with blankets riding up. They move their hands and feet and that makes the blanket ride up and chv over their heads.

momX4

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:06 am
I had a baby that had reflux. He slept in a car seat, swing or on his stomach. He had a pacifier, no blanket and I raised the mattress. Raising the mattress is supposed to help. I also had a special mesh bumper that was tight around the crib.

I spoke to my Dr about it. He wasnt to concerned.

momsrus

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:57 am
stomach sleeping but nothing AT ALL in crib. No blanket.

Zehava

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:13 am
He’ll be fine. The research on stomach sleeping causing SIDS is flawed. The AAP doesn’t always know what they’re talking about they just spout the same nonsense for years. the percentage of babies who die from SIDS to begin with is less that 1% overall, and from that babies have died in all positions, including strollers and even in their parents arms. It’s really sad that your relative blames herself for her baby’s death when there is no research to back it up. As for a blanket I am way more afraid when babies sleep on their backs with a blanket since it can cover their face. On the stomach even if the blanket covers them there is still space for them to breathe.

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:14 am
I wouldn’t put baby on stomach if he can’t roll and don’t use a blanket!!! I would sooner sleep train if you really can’t deal with the wake ups. I know how hard this is and feel for you. My daughter is the same age and also sleeps in chunks of 2-4 hours (usually more like 2 😩).

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:33 am
I know it doesn't help you, but my children always slept very well on their backs, like 4-5 hour chunks beyond 3 months and up to 6-7 hours after 6 months, if I remember rightly. I always tried to feed them especially well in the evening.
I never used blankets for children younger than 2 years, they had all non-sliding sleeping bags with arm holes. (Better safe than sorry).

I don't know that the research on SIDS and stomach sleeping is flawed, as Zehava wrote. Is there any new scientific study on it? Links, anyone?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:45 am
No advice. As you can see, it's all over the map here.

I just want to give you a hug, and tell you I understand. Even though DD started sleeping through the night at 4 months, I don't think I really slept through the night until her first birthday. I'd be half asleep, and any tiny movement or sound on the baby monitor would have me wide awake and going to check in on her.

B'H, she was a perfectly healthy baby, and I had no reason to be worried. I was just a nervous first time mother, and when instinct is involved, no amount of logic is going to make you feel better. Hug

amother
Green

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 7:49 am
I would just practice rolling during the day. Once he can roll independently he can sleep in any position. No blankets, please.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:25 am
Re SIDS. My nieces baby died. They called it SIDS.
But my niece and her husband were at the doctor every single day for a week saying "somethings wrong with my baby" and noone listened. So they went to a different doctor. We're thinking of taking him to the ER cuz Noone listened.
And then her baby died. A previously mostly happy baby SCREAMED in agony for hours. They were told everyrhing checks out. It's just colic and it starts around that age....
One day his father finally got him to fall asleep and sometime later when his mother went to check on him he was gone.
Something obviously WAS very wrong. Now he's part of the SIDS statistics....

I wouldn't take the whole SIDS thing seriously.
Babies don't just die. There is always a reason.

Zehava

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
Re SIDS. My nieces baby died. They called it SIDS.
But my niece and her husband were at the doctor every single day for a week saying "somethings wrong with my baby" and noone listened. So they went to a different doctor. We're thinking of taking him to the ER cuz Noone listened.
And then her baby died. A previously mostly happy baby SCREAMED in agony for hours. They were told everyrhing checks out. It's just colic and it starts around that age....
One day his father finally got him to fall asleep and sometime later when his mother went to check on him he was gone.
Something obviously WAS very wrong. Now he's part of the SIDS statistics....

I wouldn't take the whole SIDS thing seriously.
Babies don't just die. There is always a reason.

How freaky. I can’t imagine the pain and guilt if these parents.
My mother lost her baby brother to SIDS when she was 13 and she would tell me how he screamed for hours and refused to go to sleep the night he died. She finally got him to sleep and he never woke up.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:59 pm
There is information how it's dangerous to let babies sleep in car seats. They can suffocate due to their position. I thought it was crazy until I saw it for myself.

SisterSix

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:57 pm
As others said, the blanket is more concerning.
Also, you may want to get a PT evaluation for a 7 month old who doesn’t roll at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics