Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does your employer pay for your insurance?
1  2  Next

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:52 am
I’m taking an informal survey because I wonder if the way my boss runs things is standard in the frum world.

In my 20ish-person office, insurance and benefits are completely not an option for anyone. We have 5 paid sick/vacation days a year, yomim tovim and chol hamoed (it’s a chassidish office), but no legal holidays off.

I get paid in the 50-100k range. My boss thinks this is reasonable as my salary is on par with what other professionals across my industry (ie in the secular world, not the frum world) are paid. But I wonder, don’t most employers offer benefits to their employees? (And also a more reasonable number of sick days) Is this something I should expect if I were to find a new job, or is it unheard of for employers with fewer than 50 employees?

If you work for a frum employer:
-how many employees work in the company?
-how many hours do you work a week?
-what range is your salary? (Under 50k/over 50k/over 100k etc)
-is your insurance paid for?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:00 pm
I’m not in a frum company. I work in a company that employed thousands. I work 40 hours a week. I get paid around 70 and have an advanced degree. My employee does pay for my health insurance (which makes up for the low salary)

Last edited by pesek zman on Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:03 pm
I work for a very large, non-Jewish, public company in the professional industry. My salary is in the range you mention.

I work a 40 hour workweek.

My employer pays 60% of my insurance premiums for a group plan.

I'm with my company for 20 years. I used to have 20 vacation days per year, but now the company has adopted a flexible vacation policy, which means they don't nitpick the number of days, but more look at the projects you are working on and delivering. But I use the 20 days sort of as a ballpark figure. I can take off a bit more or less, as needed, as long as I'm meeting my deliverables.

I also have a certain amount of legal holidays off, plus two floaters.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:16 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I work for a very large, non-Jewish, public company in the professional industry. My salary is in the range you mention.

I work a 40 hour workweek.

My employer pays 60% of my insurance premiums for a group plan.

I'm with my company for 20 years. I used to have 20 vacation days per year, but now the company has adopted a flexible vacation policy, which means they don't nitpick the number of days, but more look at the projects you are working on and delivering. But I use the 20 days sort of as a ballpark figure. I can take off a bit more or less, as needed, as long as I'm meeting my deliverables.

I also have a certain amount of legal holidays off, plus two floaters.

I work about 35 hours a week but I would totally work more hours for the insurance and the flexible vacation policy. If you are married/with kids, does your insurance also mean your family’s insurance?

cm

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:17 pm
Yom tov plus five additional days is approximately the same amount of time off professionals receive in non-frum companies.

At my very large secular company, we are able to purchase health insurance. It's probably less expensive than purchasing an individual policy, but it's far from free.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
I work about 35 hours a week but I would totally work more hours for the insurance and the flexible vacation policy. If you are married/with kids, does your insurance also mean your family’s insurance?

yes I have a family policy.

agreer

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:22 pm
When I worked, my employer paid for 50% of my premium,none for dependents...but the rates for my DH and DCs were so high that it was cheaper to buy my insurance privately, so I opted out.

We got 7 days vacation + 3 sick days. Vacation increased 5 days every year you worked there to a maximum of 25 vacation days.

It was a frum-owned company but most employees were not Jewish.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:24 pm
I work in a non-frum office with less than 10 employees, making just under your pay-range. I work full time (37.5 hours plus unpaid lunch = 40 hours) and my employer pays 80% of my insurance and 50% of my husbands and kids (kids are not on it) and they pay for my deductible as well (they put the money in an HSA account for me every year) on the group plan; HMO for health and PPO for dental - or the other way around, I cant remember. Also vision insurance. I get 10 days of PTO and 2 weeks of vacation a year, plus most legal holidays (we work on MLK, Presidents, etc but not Labor or Memorial) and an extra day and a half before or after December 25th, and Easter, Rosh Hashana (1 day), and YK is off. I work on chol hamoed.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:24 pm
Not Jewish company

My company pays my health insueance. I have to pay a percentage. For vision, dental and well it is about $800 per month for a better plan. This is for my family. You must work a minimum of 32 hours to be eligible.

The base vacation time is 20 vacation+ 5 six days. Every 5 years you get more days. I get 5 legal holidays
I work for a non Jewish company so these days must cover all of yom tov - of which there is almost exactly enough.

We also have a 401k where they match up to 6% of our savings. And a flexibility savings account (fsa).

Typically employers consider this to be part of your compensation.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:28 pm
I work 40 hours a week for a frum company of 3. My salary is in the range that you mentioned. My boss pays half of the premium for myself. Rest of the family I could pay the full premium myself or look for a different plan.

I get all legal holidays off, all yomtov days and a week of personal days/sick days but its not rigid. A lot of my work can be done remotely so when I have an apt that I know will be 90% waiting for the dr I will work from the waiting room instead of taking a personal day. Its an honor system.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:32 pm
I am a company owner. We pay for the insurance policies of 2 employees, one single (who pays partially) and one family (who we pay 100% of the insurance for). We'd pay entirely for another employee , but he has insurance through his wife. Other's were given an option, but they would have to cover some of the cost so they rejected it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 1:15 pm
I am not currently working but will answer for my husband as the same goes for the women working there as well:
Big family owned frum company/factory type (under a union)
Over 100k (paid by the hour : each according to hours they put in)
Wonderful insurance
Vacation: cant answer: My husband finds it tough to take off as its his families business so feels more responsible

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:32 pm
Most people at your level would be offered benefits.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:51 pm
I also work about 35 hrs a week. Big secular company. Make about 60k this is my first year on the job. I pay about 230 for medical vision and dental for my family and the rest they cover. Also a matching 401k and tuition reimbursement 4k/yr if you go back to school. I get about 5 weeks vacation a year that I can take off where needed.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 4:33 pm
You should be offered a group plan with at least some percentage of your insurance subsidized by your employer. Anyone in a non-frum setting in your position would expect as much. I'm pretty sure in NY if company is upwards of 10 employees they might even be obligated.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 4:43 pm
40 hours plus half hour unpaid lunch. 42.5 hours. Non Jewish company. Very big.

13 sick days
20 vacation days

Employer pays 75% of premium for a family plan. I pay all deductibles and copays.

Other benefits is a 401k match up to a percent of salary

Salary is 80k range. On the lower end for my profession compared to other companies but the health insurance, 401k match, and generous leave make up the difference.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
I also work about 35 hrs a week. Big secular company. Make about 60k this is my first year on the job. I pay about 230 for medical vision and dental for my family and the rest they cover. Also a matching 401k and tuition reimbursement 4k/yr if you go back to school. I get about 5 weeks vacation a year that I can take off where needed.

What is the general industry, if you don’t mind my asking?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:13 pm
Frum company. About 100 mostly non jewish employees. 40 hours (give or take) a week. 5 paid vacation days, 6 legal holidays, All yomim tovim including chol hamoed pesach. Until this year employer paid 100% of insurance. This year, as insurance cost went up 20% (again) they are only paying 90% and we pay 10%-for full family coverage.
Pay a bit under 50k. hourly pay, not salary.

ladYdI

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:50 pm
60k 4 full days-32 hours weekly. They pay mine and husbands ins but 50/ for kids. All Jewish paid holidays

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:46 am
Frum company. 30 employees. Fully paid insurance for myself and my family. 25 vacation days, 12 sick, closed for Yom Tov. 5% employer contribution to 401k
100k range salary.
Raises are very minimal but the benefits are amazing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics