Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rejected and then accepted

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:18 pm
What would the circumstances be for you to send your DC to a school that rejected them and then accepted them?

Someone reached out to them and convinced them to accept my DC, I never requested them to do this. They did it on their own because they felt it was a better option than the school that did accept dc. The person is part of my DC's current school.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:22 pm
Probably 1/2 of the school was rejected before they got accepted. I wouldn't think too much into it. My girls got rejected because the school didn't know who we were. They found out who my grandparents were, we got accepted.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:23 pm
I don't think it's a big deal. I pushed to get into a certain graduate school that had wait listed me, and I'm glad I did. Once I was accepted no one remembered the backstory, and I'm sure the same is the case elsewhere.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:33 pm
I forgot to mention that DC got into a different school. We aren't desperate.

The current school reached out on their own because they felt its a better option.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:33 pm
I was rejected from the seminary I wanted to go to, and then was accepted on Pending. I had a great seminary year, and in a certain sense, a closer relationship to the principal who accepted me and actually remembered who I was due to the circumstances....

If the school is a good fit for your child, send, and forget about the original rejection.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:43 pm
My middle-schooler wanted to switch schools. The school she wanted to go to doesn't usually accept students in that grade and initially rejected her. When a student in that grade left because her family moved away they offered her an interview. She was very happy there.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 2:47 pm
It's not uncommon for people to get accepted somewhere off a wait list or after being reconsidered after a rejection. That alone wouldn't worry me, especially if this is the school you really wanted. But I'd be annoyed with the person at the current school who went ahead and pulled the strings. If they cared so much, where were they BEFORE the rejection happened?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:15 pm
I would ask this person why she thought this second school would not be a good fit for your daughter.

She may have information about that school you are not aware of.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
Probably 1/2 of the school was rejected before they got accepted. I wouldn't think too much into it. My girls got rejected because the school didn't know who we where. They found out who my grandparents were, we got accepted.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but this is very disheartening and so sad. Assessing our kids based on for who their grandparents are and not for who they themselves are??

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
I don't mean to derail this thread, but this is very disheartening and so sad. Assessing our kids based on for who their grandparents are and not for who they themselves are??

I guess it goes both ways. My kids were rejected because of who their grandparent is. And nobody believes me that it's the reason, but they admitted it was!

I send to a school where my child was initially rejected. They were then accepted after other people got involved. They've been there for years. I don't think it was an issue. Though my DH was left with a bitter taste in his mouth and he avoids the people that were involved in the rejection.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:

This is common. I came from OOT. When they found out my grand parents and great grandparents, I was accepted as an insider because I have a pedigree.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 3:41 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I guess it goes both ways. My kids were rejected because of who their grandparent is. And nobody believes me that it's the reason, but they admitted it was!

I send to a school where my child was initially rejected. They were then accepted after other people got involved. They've been there for years. I don't think it was an issue. Though my DH was left with a bitter taste in his mouth and he avoids the people that were involved in the rejection.

Oh, it definitely goes both ways. And it says a lot of the acceptance process, despite the claims of the school about a fair and equitable process.

Petra

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:20 pm
amother wrote:
This is common. I came from OOT. When they found out my grand parents and great grandparents, I was accepted as an insider because I have a pedigree.

Although we are talking about yichus, this concept is so off-putting. As if people are breed like dogs.

Also, the whole idea that a school initially would think my DC is not their type and then to do a 180 and suddenly my DC is their type based on hear-say from someone else. How annoying.

chestnut

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 6:32 pm
If this school was your first choice, then go for it. Many girls get rejected and then accepted because of some pull

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
My middle-schooler wanted to switch schools. The school she wanted to go to doesn't usually accept students in that grade and initially rejected her. When a student in that grade left because her family moved away they offered her an interview. She was very happy there.

Quoting myself to clarify that when they initially declined to interview my daughter, they told me that there wasn't room. They contacted me a week or so later to say that a student was moving away, so they now had room.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
What would the circumstances be for you to send your DC to a school that rejected them and then accepted them?

Someone reached out to them and convinced them to accept my DC, I never requested them to do this. They did it on their own because they felt it was a better option than the school that did accept dc. The person is part of my DC's current school.
This sounds a little controlling. Which option do you think is a better fit for your kid?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:36 pm
Amother peach, the school did not asses my kids based on who their grandparents are. They just had no idea who our family is. Once they found out who or grandparents are, they had more of an idea who we are. They told me that I should have written our grandparents name on the application.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics