Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Storage between homes - help appreciated

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 6:23 am
We must move out of our home ASAP (end of lease) but have no where to move to.

Since we can't be on the street we'll be moving in with family until we find alternative housing. In the meantime we need to rent a storage unit to store our belongings.

I need to figure out what we need to take with us and what needs to go into storage.
If you've ever done this, do you have any tips to share?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:21 am
You just take your clothing and toiletries.

It’s not easy living with another family. I hope you find somewhere to live real soon. Even before you have to move..

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:22 am
I'm sorry for the situation. It must be very hard to be in limbo!

All furniture and furnishings (wall hangings, drapes), kitchenware (pots, dishes), silver, as well as books & sefarim that don't get used daily should be put away. I'm sure it would overwhelm your family member to have to store these and it would make things easier if you don't bring extra with you.

Bring clothes, personal items, and daily essentials needed for school and work. Think like you're going on vacation for a month to a fully stocked home. What would you bring? 1 special toy per kid that there's room for in their bedroom at relative's house.

If your relative has enough beds, then those stay in storage. If she doesn't, speak to her first. Maybe she prefers the kids double up rather than bringing more stuff into the home. Or maybe she'll be ok with you bringing just 1 extra mattress on the floor in the room you'll be in.

If she decides it's easier if you bring your own linen, only bring 1 set per bed that you'll be using. That way you don't have to store extra in her closets. Those sets will be on the beds and you'll remove, wash and remake the beds as needed without extra clutter.

For baby, only bring essentials like stroller that folds small and foldable crib if your relative doesn't have. Other equipment stays behind.

Extra clothes, shoes, accessories and personal items should be sorted carefully, labeled well and stored thoughtfully. This way if you're still there when the season changes, you'll be able to find what you need in a quick visit to the storage unit.

Good luck!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 5:10 pm
Thank you amother and thank you ra_mom for the detailed guidance.

Any suggestions for packing seforim? I don't want them in regular boxes because it will be very heavy, but if we pack them with stretch wrap (without a box) it'll be harder to store.

srbmom

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 5:45 pm
Quote:
Any suggestions for packing seforim? I don't want them in regular boxes because it will be very heavy, but if we pack them with stretch wrap (without a box) it'll be harder to store.

Liquor/wine stores have the best boxes for seforim. They are usually on the small side so you can't make them too heavy, and they are usually made from sturdier cardboard to support the glass bottles they're made for

srbmom

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 5:47 pm
Also, my husband packed his seforim in order of how they were organized on the shelf and then numbered the boxes in order. He didn't just mix and match boxes until everything fit. He took a picture of the bookshelf before packing and that way when he unpacked he was able to put everything back into its place very easily

ez-pass

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:02 pm
I lived with family twice between houses. Both times we we're in contract on new houses bh. First time we put our stuff in parents/aunts garage. Second time I had a mi box put outside the family members house and we used that. It was amazing! I didn't need to use a moving truck when I eventually moved cuz they moved it to my new house and I filled it up before as much as I could
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating