Home

Don't understand social workers
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:32 am
How can it be that a social worker can work so closely with myself and husband to assist child and have such great relationship and then leave off that will be available for any questions etc, yet when I reach out to her, even offering to have a paid session, she completely ignores me?
I find it so hurtful and confusing and this has happened with more than one social worker.
Back to top

pesek zman




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:30 am
Does she have a super heavy caseload?
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:35 am
She probably does but it takes a second to respond to my text, which is how she prefers to be contacted.
Back to top

amother




Seashell


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:25 pm
You really have no idea what is going on in her personal life. If she has been kind in the past, there is likely a good reason that she feels too overwhelmed to respond right now. You may never know the reason, but please don't judge her.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:28 pm
If she has a super heavy case load, and each case wants just one second for a text, it can add up really fast.

Give it a bit more time, and try to be patient. If you don't hear back from her in a few more days, send her a quick message saying "I hope everything is OK with you. I hadn't heard back, and you're usually so prompt that I was starting to worry."

That will make you sound like a concerned person, not a nagging person. It's all in how you say it.
Back to top

1untamedgirl




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:32 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
How can it be that a social worker can work so closely with myself and husband to assist child and have such great relationship and then leave off that will be available for any questions etc, yet when I reach out to her, even offering to have a paid session, she completely ignores me?
I find it so hurtful and confusing and this has happened with more than one social worker.

It may be a conflict of interest or against company policy to respond to or interact with a client from a previous agency.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:36 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
It may be a conflict of interest or against company policy to respond to or interact with a client from a previous agency.


Then I would appreciate her telling me so, so I don't waste my time and efforts.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:37 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If she has a super heavy case load, and each case wants just one second for a text, it can add up really fast.

Give it a bit more time, and try to be patient. If you don't hear back from her in a few more days, send her a quick message saying "I hope everything is OK with you. I hadn't heard back, and you're usually so prompt that I was starting to worry."

That will make you sound like a concerned person, not a nagging person. It's all in how you say it.


I feel like an unwanted nudge as reached out to her quite a few times over the winter with zero response.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
You really have no idea what is going on in her personal life. If she has been kind in the past, there is likely a good reason that she feels too overwhelmed to respond right now. You may never know the reason, but please don't judge her.


I'm not judging her but need her to respond!
Back to top

roses




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:40 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
I feel like an unwanted nudge as reached out to her quite a few times over the winter with zero response.


There has to be an explanation for this. Perhaps she requires a different means of communication now? Phone? Email?
Back to top

amother




Purple


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:40 pm
Hi!
Could you possibly include a timeframe of these contacts? What was the setting that you originally worked with her?
Back to top

amother




Royalblue


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:42 pm
Sometimes the lack of response *is* an answer. The answer is "I'm not available anymore and for whatever reason I'm not communicating why". If you have tried several times, move on. You deserve better.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:55 pm
roses wrote:
There has to be an explanation for this. Perhaps she requires a different means of communication now? Phone? Email?


Her voicemail says to text her. I tried calling her and figured would leave a message. The only time she responded to text after months of no response was with something that she originally promised and never happened but then no response further.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes the lack of response *is* an answer. The answer is "I'm not available anymore and for whatever reason I'm not communicating why". If you have tried several times, move on. You deserve better.


I don't know how to move on to better. She was one of a kind amazing, just so got it. Not easy to find the right person.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
Hi!
Could you possibly include a timeframe of these contacts? What was the setting that you originally worked with her?


She was the supervisor for the various therapists who worked with my child, as well as met with myself and husband weekly for sessions to discuss. We were in touch many times by phone and text and she always made herself available or at least responded to reschedule. Now it's a closed door.
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:57 pm
roses wrote:
There has to be an explanation for this. Perhaps she requires a different means of communication now? Phone? Email?


I would email her but would assume it's not appropriate to email her at new agency, when she worked with us from previous one.
Back to top

amother




Magenta


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:59 pm
If you say this happened with a few social workers perhaps theres a reason? It would be good to ask her this question so you can understand if theres anything you can do differently
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:00 pm
amother wrote:
If you say this happened with a few social workers perhaps theres a reason? It would be good to ask her this question so you can understand if theres anything you can do differently


I can't ask her if she doesn't respond!
It happened with another social worker a few years ago who was up front with me that doesn't want to work with us further as won't be long term enough. I was so turned off.
Now this one doesn't respond but I'm assuming has same motive, maybe just has harder time saying it.
Back to top

amother




Purple


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:08 pm
The last time you were in contact - how did it end off? Was your case closed and she did a bad job terminating? Did she leave the agency? Is your child still being seen in the agency?
Back to top

Chaya123




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
The last time you were in contact - how did it end off? Was your case closed and she did a bad job terminating? Did she leave the agency? Is your child still being seen in the agency?


We left off on a great note. She left the agency but offered to be in touch any time for questions. The case was closed and my child isn't being seen by the agency.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Help me understand new guidelines for disability pay
by amother
7 Mon, May 13 2019, 10:55 pm View last post
Social skills 5/6 yr old
by Pickle1
11 Sat, May 11 2019, 11:18 pm View last post
Help me understand my relationship with my teenage daughter
by amother
4 Thu, May 09 2019, 4:38 pm View last post
TTI or Touro for masters in social work?
by amother
1 Sun, May 05 2019, 7:37 pm View last post
Social Media Sharks 4 Sat, Mar 02 2019, 12:41 pm View last post

Jump to: