Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Spinoff- New school model

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
- Build a very cool school model that allows learning to be goal-based, level-streamed and child-initiated, with a few core classes taken by everyone.
- Implement a much more logical elementary curriculum into the Jewish school system

Now, THIS. That is my dream. To have a school where you know that everyone is different, and that's okay.
I went to a private elementary school where, officially, your IQ is not the point, but your diligence was.
As a girl who was smarter than most, this was torture.
I would never study, not in class, not for tests, did not care about school, and I always felt that something was wrong with me because I didn't have to work hard for grades and did not get admired for studying for 14 hours and still getting a 67. Instead I studied for 0 hours and got a 90, so what am I worth?
Please. Why do we even have schools based on age? Why are our schools with a fixed curriculum?
If every single person on this earth is different, why are schools such a mass- factory of kids that are supposed to come out with the exact same knowledge all at once?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:17 pm
In short, government standards.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 7:36 am
Because for MOST it works

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 9:59 am
Where is that quoted post from?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 10:36 am
the ambition thread

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 10:39 am
the problem with child initiated is that not all kids can handle it- either due to nature or nurture and then the school tries to figure out how to get the kids to do their work.

Zehava

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 11:00 am
Children are born with a natural desire to learn, an insatiable desire for knowledge. From when they learn to talk they begin asking questions.
The problem is when we shut them down, put them in boxes, tell them what, when, and how they should be “learning”. When we tell them to sit, shut up, listen, and spit back out what we tell them. When we squash their natural curiosity and avoid their questions. You get kids who rebel, who think of learning as boring, because to them it is.
I am gifted. School was torture. I don’t regret a moment of tuning out the teachers and reading under my desk. Of getting sent of class and reading in the bathroom. Of coming late and cutting class. School was choking me, I did what I had to to survive.
I can’t do anything about my kids schooling but my home is a safe haven for learning. My kids questions get appropriate answers, and their interests are encouraged.
So I now have a five year old who can identify the entire solar system, and read the world map. Just because.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 11:17 am
zahava- my kids also love to learn. they also ask tons of questions and we encourage it. I get you, trust me I get you. but I send to a montessouri school and I've seen how the "new" school has been changing over the years. When you are dealing with a "school" they won't only be dealing with your child, with your child's strengths who is parented the way you parent...throw in government standards and they feel obligated to make sure your kid covers certain information in limudei kodesh. Even children who love to learn and ask questions may not love to learn every subject. I'm just saying this based on the reality that I'm seeing.

Zehava

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
zahava- my kids also love to learn. they also ask tons of questions and we encourage it. I get you, trust me I get you. but I send to a montessouri school and I've seen how the "new" school has been changing over the years. When you are dealing with a "school" they won't only be dealing with your child, with your child's strengths who is parented the way you parent...throw in government standards and they feel obligated to make sure your kid covers certain information in limudei kodesh. Even children who love to learn and ask questions may not love to learn every subject. I'm just saying this based on the reality that I'm seeing.

I would hope that a parent who sends to a Montessori school is one who agrees with that approach. And ofcourse no school is perfect but it’s definitely better than the current cookie-cutter system in regular schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics