Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is social work (BSW then LCSW) the path for me?
1  2  Next

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:20 pm
I have an office job but don't envision being here long term.
Hopefully I will be able to go back to school in a year or so. I am somewhat of an introvert but love meeting people/speaking one on one to people. I am deep and thoughtful. Friends and my husband have told me I'd make a good therapist.
I want to have a fulfilling career, especially once my little children are grown.
I don't want to work for pennies on the dollar, but I'm not a super go getter breadwinner type either.

I do have a bit of anxiety (nothing crazy, just tend to be a bit nervous and like to follow rules etc, like to plan ahead...) and I am not super confident but certainly do have a sense of self and some confidence.

I am a good mom and wife.

I am not competitive and don't like to put myself out there, promote myself, hustle etc.

I live in Lakewood.

So what say you? Is this worth a try?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:10 pm
If you get your C and work for an agency, you’ll be fine since you don’t have to bring in your own business. But if you want to be in you’re own private practice you’re gonna need to to hustle to get your practice up and running.

If you don’t want your C and you want to work in another setting (social service agency, school, hospital, nursing home, etc etc) you’ll have to work, obviously, but won’t have to bring in your own business

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:18 pm
I think also if you develop a specific area you will attract clients naturally. My kid sees someone who has a real knack for working with boys in the yeshiva system. He sees some married couples also but a lot of what he does each day is working with elementary and teenage boys. He does not advertise much and has a very heavy caseload. I think its having one specialty and perfecting it instead of trying to be everything to everyone.

In my community, if you go though our local directory you can see that we have plenty of therapists but many of them list specific specialties very few offer general counseling.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:26 pm
Thank you for your insight.
Pesek zman, would you say that the schooling is interesting?
How long of practice does it take until you feel you know what you're doing? I'm used to following rules and formulas; this fieldseems to be more theory and emotion based, which is new for me, but appealing. How hard is it to actually feel you're doing a job well done?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:26 pm
And does school teach me everything I need to know?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 1:31 pm
No school doesn’t teach you everything you need to know. You learn as you go. I’m 18 years post MSW and still learning. I think you feel mastery after several good years of practice, 3-5 perhaps. But everyone is different

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 2:32 pm
Also good advice- do your own therapy now. Learn yourself. Develop your own capacity for emotions and self understanding. Work on yourself as a person. You can only be a good therapist if you do your own work first (and ongoing)

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
And does school teach me everything I need to know?

And no, school teaches barely the basics. You will need to do a lot of professional development if you want to be skilled and helpful to clients

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:55 pm
Please don't only go according to the books when dealing with people. They have emotions, need to use your sechel hayasher, feelings/empathy & intuition.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:22 pm
dankbar wrote:
Please don't only go according to the books when dealing with people. They have emotions, need to use your sechel hayasher, feelings/empathy & intuition.

But don't become one of those pushy intuitive advice givers who try to mold clients in their own image rather than help clients find their own authentic selves.

Also, ask yourself if you're capable of holding your own sense of self and emotional equilibrium while dealing with clients who have gone through horrific experiences. I have some intuitive friends who think they're good at supporting others but in reality they absorb all the pain and it does no one any favors.

Hatzlacha!

levlongnprosper

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:

I don't want to work for pennies on the dollar, but I'm not a super go getter breadwinner type either.

I do have a bit of anxiety (nothing crazy, just tend to be a bit nervous and like to follow rules etc, like to plan ahead...) and I am not super confident but certainly do have a sense of self and some confidence.

I am a good mom and wife.

I am not competitive and don't like to put myself out there, promote myself, hustle etc.

HARD no. This is likely not the career for you.

With a BSW or even an entry level MSW, it's very hard to make more than pennies-- after you drop tuition money on a BSW and MSW. Also thats 5-6 years of full time education. Do you have the time and money for that?

Most jobs for beginning social workers are very demanding, stressful, and inflexible. You will need to put up with at least three years of this AFTER obtaining your MSW and passing the licensure exam before you qualify to sit for the LCSW/independent licensing exam and apply for that licensure. Can you afford childcare for all those hard hours while you slog away towards qualifying for that exam?

Say goodbye to planning ahead because when you work with people, anything can Happen. And rules are often complex, convoluted, and contradictory, so planning to just follow the rules is hard and can land you in trouble if you follow them to the exclusion of thinking on your feet.

Social workers run in empathy. Are you sure you can be a good wife and mom when you've spent 40hrs/week directly working with other needy people who use up a significant amount of your empathy, patience, and emotional energy?

If you don't like self promotion and hustle, how will you build a therapy practice once you've done everything you need to qualifyi for that licensure? How will you find clients? How will you hustle after insurance companies? Etc.

If you want to be a therapist, become and LMHC or LMFT. Social work is highly regulated and not just an easy path to becoming a therapist like so many people think.

This does NOT sound like a good fit for you based on what you've shared here.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:31 pm
I once went with a child to someone with a hi degree for night fears. She couldn't figure out where the fears were coming from, was totally not working on the issue we came for & labeled me a bad mom for coming late to the appt & punished me by not talking to me. She totally tried going according to the books & not with any feeling at all.
Thats why I'm telling OP just to follow formats doesn't work. You have to be able to tune in to the client's feelings & needs, in order to form a relationship so the therapy can be effective

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:34 pm
dankbar wrote:
I once went with a child to someone with a hi degree for night fears. She couldn't figure out where the fears were coming from, was totally not working on the issue we came for & labeled me a bad mom for coming late to the appt & punished me by not talking to me. She totally tried going according to the books & not with any feeling at all.
Thats why I'm telling OP just to follow formats doesn't work. You have to be able to tune in to the client's feelings & needs, in order to form a relationship so the therapy can be effective

Absolutely. Building a therapeutic alliance is a huge part of the job and that takes people skills.

I have my own experiences with people who veered off the book too far, so I guess, as with all things in life, balance is the key.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:36 pm
Also seems like OP is more of a follower than a leader, how do you think you will be able to guide your clients then?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 8:37 pm
Good for you for looking to pursue something of interest to you and for doing your due diligence on the subject! I hope you end up with a rewarding job that makes you feel accomplished!

Social work schooling is very demanding, research and writing heavy. The hours required for your first few years in the workforce typically require evening hours. And the pay is laughable. I’m a social worker for almost a decade and the only way to be paid a respectful salary is private practice. Which is hard because so many people go to clinics where they can use their insurance. Looking back, I don’t think I’d do it again if I were starting over.

However, the positives is that it is a very challenging and rewarding job and you can feel very fulfilled with the work you’re doing. But you must feel confident in yourself as a therapist.

Hatzlacha with the decision!

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 11:43 pm
I disagree that you can’t make money working for an agency. I make 80-120 an hour. The only problem is I find it draining and work few hours.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 12:36 am
amother wrote:
I disagree that you can’t make money working for an agency. I make 80-120 an hour. The only problem is I find it draining and work few hours.

I hope you don’t mind if I ask you a few questions. Of course, don’t answer any you’re uncomfortable with but I’m so surprised and would love to hear more. Is that in Lakewood? After how many years working there are you earning that?

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 12:40 am
amother wrote:
I hope you don’t mind if I ask you a few questions. Of course, don’t answer any you’re uncomfortable with but I’m so surprised and would love to hear more. Is that in Lakewood? After how many years working there are you earning that?

Lakewood area. About 5 years post school experience. I make a set amount per session and session times vary. Still, I don’t recommend the field. Too much burnout.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 7:42 am
So what I'm seeing is that burnout is high and schooling is hard. Anyone can recommend another similar type of career path that would lead to a fulfilling job?
(I wish I could be a nurse; I cannot stomach all the queasy medical things.)

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 7:48 am
amother wrote:
Lakewood area. About 5 years post school experience. I make a set amount per session and session times vary. Still, I don’t recommend the field. Too much burnout.

I hope you won't mind answering a few questions. Are you in therapy yourself? Have you been in therapy in the past? The reason I'm asking is to find out if a therapist's own self work can increase her abilities to do this emotionally draining work.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics