Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Oros, bais Yaakov, bais kaila crowd and girls types”
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:03 pm
Bais Kaila has a name as being layed back not so academic so besides for getting less yeshivish it also gets less academic girls

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Kaila has a name as being layed back not so academic so besides for getting less yeshivish it also gets less academic girls

Less academic doesn’t have to equal watching movies.

Also, I can imagine there are academically strong girls who don’t get into “academic” schools for the lack of pull and money and end up in other less academic ones.

Anyhow, is it really “less yeshivish” or “more exposed”?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 11:49 pm
I know girls who have gone to Bais Kaila over the years and they dont come from families that sit and watch non jewish movies etc. I doubt that the majority are doing that. I also know people that send to Bnos Bais Yaakov which is less yeshivish then bais kaila and the girls do not watch anything.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
I know girls who have gone to Bais Kaila over the years and they dont come from families that sit and watch non jewish movies etc. I doubt that the majority are doing that. I also know people that send to Bnos Bais Yaakov which is less yeshivish then bais kaila and the girls do not watch anything.

I also know different good , solid families who sent their girls there over the years (even before internet lol was so popular lol).

The question I and other mothers are trying to figure out is what’s the current type of girls like.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:17 am
I heard that Bnos Bais Yaakov is doing a complete overhaul this year. There are new owners and because of the new principal several yeshivish families decided to send there. They're being very selective in whom they're accepting this year.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
My dd's are in Bais Kaila, and I love the school and highly recommend it. BUT, a lot of their classmates listen to non-Jewish music, watch non-Jewish movies and use all kinds of gadgets, go online and have cell phones.

Most people I know who send to Bais Yaakov and Oros also let their kids watch non-Jewish movies and a lot of my dd's friends in other Lakewood schools also have cell phones. I don't
know how many girls in other schools listen to non-Jewish music or use gadgets and go online.

I guess I must be living under a rock. I have a BK graduate and a senior. They don't watch non-Jewish movies (they did get together to watch a Rachel's place movie over vacation) or listen to non-Jewish music, nor do their group of friends, to the best of my knowledge. They do listen to a broad range of Jewish music.

My DD got her cell phone in 12th grade, and it's the pull-out type that has a keyboard and a touch screen, but is not a smartphone. She has talk and text.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:53 am
amother wrote:

You are under a rock.

My DD was not an A student in BF, but rather, an A+ student. BK has tracks, and there are plenty of girls in the higher tracks in BK. Many of them are very motivated academically, and are thinking of going for advanced degrees in the future.

BK has a challenging academic program, with plenty to motivate any student who is interested.

Chaya123

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:03 am
I wouldn't believe any of this motzi shem ra about such a wonderful school like Bais Kaila. Please verify your facts and speak with those currently in the system.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:18 am
Hi, my daughter is in Bais Kaila, she taught herself to read, and stayed home one day in second grade because she wasn't feeling well, and learned the theory of multiplication and memorized several tables with me in one afternoon. She just finished midterms and studied the entire Shabbos and nine hours on Sunday for three tests. She is definitely intelligent and definitely taking academics seriously.

We chose Bais Kaila because it had the culture we wanted for our daughters - humble, caring, inclusive, non materialistic, growing, and warm. Those are important things to consider when choosing a school, what kiddos do you want your daughter taught through the school culture? Because she will absorb that faster than lessons taught in the classroom, or even influences of girls with more "exposure.". Mark my words.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
I heard that Bnos Bais Yaakov is doing a complete overhaul this year. There are new owners and because of the new principal several yeshivish families decided to send there. They're being very selective in whom they're accepting this year.

Who is the new principal, please? We considered Bnos Bais Yaakov two years ago, and we're impressed with the principal then. By "new", are you referring to a new principal just hired this year?

L K

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
Who is the new principal, please? We considered Bnos Bais Yaakov two years ago, and we're impressed with the principal then. By "new", are you referring to a new principal just hired this year?

I have heard from several people that bby made various changes to their rules in the past, say year or so.
If you’re interested in that school you may want to find out more about that to know where they are currently holding and in which direction moving.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:18 am
L K wrote:
I have heard from several people that bby made various changes to their rules in the past, say year or so.
If you’re interested in that school you may want to find out more about that to know where they are currently holding and in which direction moving.

My daughters are already in school, thank you. I am just curious who the new principal is...

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:34 am
Depends what you mean by academic. My niece in BK seems to be more chilled than my dds about school attendance and coming on time. I don't know if it's her individual personality or of it's because of less school pressure. In my dds school there is a lot of pressure in that area. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

BBY switched principals 2-3 years ago.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
Depends what you mean by academic. My niece in BK seems to be more chilled than my dds about school attendance and coming on time. I don't know if it's her individual personality or of it's because of less school pressure. In my dds school there is a lot of pressure in that area. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

BBY switched principals 2-3 years ago.

I have no idea. I can tell you how difficult it is to schedule a simple appt at the eye-doctor - DD's lenses prescription changed, but it took forever to be able to get an appt the one night a week they are open after school hours - because DD is so conscientious about missing school, and how hard it is to make up work.

debsey

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:58 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Can we be friends Smile ? My girls have done really well in BK B"H.

I thought we were already friends! Tongue Out

I don't send to BK, but I think it's a super healthy environment. A lot of girls in my neighborhood go there and they're nice solid girls from healthy homes. They speak positively about their school and seem happy to go there. (I know from waiting at the bus stop w mother's and hearing how they talk.)

A lot of ppl are also happy w the new BBY. It's being much more selective about who they take and really weeding out the "too cool for Judaism" element they had w the old management. My neighbor has two girls there and she's very happy w the school.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:07 pm
Some old families used to send older daughters and younger ones they send elsewhere... also some girls can come out good in any school so just cuz u know some1 that came out fine in Bais Kaila doesnt mean everyone wud

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
Some old families used to send older daughters and younger ones they send elsewhere... also some girls can come out good in any school so just cuz u know some1 that came out fine in Bais Kaila doesnt mean everyone wud

Seriously?

Sadly, I know of girls who are OTD today who went thru the finest BY's in our town.

So just because some girls come out of any school just fine, doesn't mean everyone would.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:43 pm
L K wrote:

I have a niece graduating BBY this year and they've been very happy with the school. I've also been impressed by various things I've heard about the new principal, Mrs. Hebel. I think she really gets the students, and she's really out there for them and works hard to advocate on their behalf.

L K

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 3:51 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a niece graduating BBY this year and they've been very happy with the school. I've also been impressed by various things I've heard about the new principal, Mrs. Hebel. I think she really gets the students, and she's really out there for them and works hard to advocate on their behalf.

I’ve also met people who are happy there.

I also spoke to some who mentioned that school had many new rules; that’s why I said person should find out current information; some of school rules may be different from what they were one or two or three years ago.

Then again, some people are happy under those rules. I’m just saying whoever is interested in any school should find out current situation and see what works for them and their family. Plus of course, see who it is that you are speaking with telling you they are or aren’t happy, in any school. The personality, background etc of the “reporter” may affect their report.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 4:00 pm
debsey wrote:

A lot of ppl are also happy w the new BBY. It's being much more selective about who they take and really weeding out the "too cool for Judaism" element they had w the old management. My neighbor has two girls there and she's very happy w the school.

I've sent there for a while - there was always a mix of yeshivish girls there. Actually, in the beginning years, a lot more yeshivish. But maybe you're referring to girls they were forced by the Vaad to accept. The old management was more like OOT yeshivish - not "modern".
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics