Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Fafsa through Touro

Violet123

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:05 pm
If my daughter gets fafsa for seminary in israel does she have to finish her bachelors with touro?

srbmom

Post Fri, Mar 01 2019, 7:54 am
Officially the answer is yes. They claim that if you pull out after they will require you to pay back what you received in aid. I have heard from girls that stayed there one semester (just the summer after seminary) and then switched out and they had no problems. But I cannot vouch for that.

anon for this

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:05 am
srbmom wrote:
Officially the answer is yes. They claim that if you pull out after they will require you to pay back what you received in aid. I have heard from girls that stayed there one semester (just the summer after seminary) and then switched out and they had no problems. But I cannot vouch for that.

Is Touro saying that they will require students to pay back what they received in federal aid through FAFSA, or will they require students to pay back other aid they receive? If it's the first, I don't understand how they can demand that federal funds be returned, assuming the student was meeting the requirements to receive federal aid.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:08 am
You're usually better off not going thru touro and getting grades transferred later since if you go thru touro the seminary grades transfer and can mess up your transcript

Violet123

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:14 am
Is there any other way to get fafsa?

tiredmommy

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 7:31 am
When my daughter was in seminary (and enrolled in the Touro Israel program) Touro stressed to them repeatedly (and even had a special meeting about it) that if a girl gets FAFSA money to pay for seminary because she is enrolled in Touro Israel, she MUST finish her degree with Touro. They said that the system has been abused and the feds track how much money they award students and how many actually graduate. Because Touro had a high "dropout" rate, they could be in danger of losing this funding altogether. SO basically if girls do not finish their degrees, not only is it stealing from the government but they ruin the chances of other girls being able to use FAFSA for seminary through this program.
Of course there is the rare exception if a girl cannot complete her degree because of extenuating circumstances. But you should absolutely not take that money if you already know she does not intend to take classes and graduate at Touro when she comes back to the states.

anon for this

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:15 am
tiredmommy wrote:
When my daughter was in seminary (and enrolled in the Touro Israel program) Touro stressed to them repeatedly (and even had a special meeting about it) that if a girl gets FAFSA money to pay for seminary because she is enrolled in Touro Israel, she MUST finish her degree with Touro. They said that the system has been abused and the feds track how much money they award students and how many actually graduate. Because Touro had a high "dropout" rate, they could be in danger of losing this funding altogether. SO basically if girls do not finish their degrees, not only is it stealing from the government but they ruin the chances of other girls being able to use FAFSA for seminary through this program.
Of course there is the rare exception if a girl cannot complete her degree because of extenuating circumstances. But you should absolutely not take that money if you already know she does not intend to take classes and graduate at Touro when she comes back to the states.

From your post it sounds like Touro isn't threatening "dropout" students (those who register for Touro so that they can use FAFSA for seminary, but don't take courses and/or graduate from Touro) that they'll take the money back, but they are warning students that this behavior on a large scale can affect Touro's eligibility for FAFSA grants. Is that right?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 8:23 am
ectomorph wrote:
You're usually better off not going thru touro and getting grades transferred later since if you go thru touro the seminary grades transfer and can mess up your transcript
people totally underestimate how much this can mess them up. Someone I know wants to get into graduate school. Because she got three C's in seminary GPA was very very low and no room for error.

Violet123

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 9:27 am
Thank you everyone for the information.

monkeys

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 6:05 pm
ectomorph wrote:
people totally underestimate how much this can mess them up. Someone I know wants to get into graduate school. Because she got three C's in seminary GPA was very very low and no room for error.

Can’t agree with this enough!!!!!! So not worth ruining a GPA. I got 32 credits just by getting an official transcript from BJJ and giving it to Touro. I had zero pressure to get good grades in seminary because they get reported as pass/fail and not as a grade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics