Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Really good article about kollel in Monsey View

southernbubby

Post Sat, Mar 02 2019, 9:46 pm
It showed pictures of Lakewood and the articles were about prioritizing Torah over materialism.
The part that resonates with me was a quote from a Rosh Yeshiva who passed away years ago who said that in the midbar, the Jews were given what they needed but nothing else because luxuries would contradict Kaballas haTorah. He used that to illustrate that the set standard was that life would revolve around Torah and Hashem would provide the necessities but not necessarily more.

Years ago, I used to visit friends at Telshe in Wickliffe and was amazed that anyone could live so simply.

I am so bothered by the way that people are now pressured to live a material life that is beyond stressful.

One of the articles was about a kollel wife that made it work, with Hashem's help and her excellent budgeting. Working couples could also benefit from her approach.

It is nice to see a magazine that advertises high end merchandise admit that not everyone spends like that.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Mar 02 2019, 10:02 pm
I also thought this week's issue was lovely. It seemed to be talking straight to me, as we are at the stage where we probably need to move on, and dh needs to find a job, but we're just trying to eke by for a little bit longer, because the thought of leaving this lifestyle is do disheartening.

The articles in the View gave me chizzuk, as well as some food for thought.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:16 am
The article written by the kollel wife was really pathetic. I don't like the way it was promoting an attitude of lack of hishtadlus. Maybe she was ultra special and had lots of emunah but most people aren't on that kind of level and it's just not realistic to have all kollel couples act that way. The normal situation that usually happens is the husband goes and gets a job. Finished.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
The article written by the kollel wife was really pathetic. I don't like the way it was promoting an attitude of lack of hishtadlus. Maybe she was ultra special and had lots of emunah but most people aren't on that kind of level and it's just not realistic to have all kollel couples act that way. The normal situation that usually happens is the husband goes and gets a job. Finished.

Where was there a lack of hishtadlus?
They were jumping through hoops to make ends meet.
And they did, with siyata d'Shmaya.

Of course, not everyone is on that level. But there are some who are. And isn't that inspirational?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational