Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Finishing an attic in Lakewood

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:45 pm
We're thinking of finishing our rough attic in Lakewood. We would get two bedrooms and a full bath, plus a hall closet and a "half" room where the HVAC components are. We live in a duplex.

Anyone have a price estimate? We'd use basic finishes.

Also, how does this affect your monthly property taxes? I called the Tax Office in Lakewood and they said I'd need to do the work first before they can tell me how much it'll cost me Hypnotized

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 4:53 pm
No idea about taxes but our estimate for exactly what you listed was in the 30k range

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 9:54 pm
Thanks for the response. I'm also really interested in property taxes information. Anyone? How much did your taxes go up after you finished your attic?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 10:01 pm
Not condoning or reccomending but I do have a feeling that lots of ppl wouldn’t have their house re-evaluated for tax after doing their attic....

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 10:07 pm
I'm not really sure how that's possible- you need permits for water, electric, new HVAC, etc. and I believe the building department comes down to inspect and then automatically gives the information to the tax office.

Either way, I'd be doing it properly, with permits, and I want to make sure we can afford the extra monthly expense before putting so much money into this project.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 03 2019, 10:36 pm
I'm curious to know this also. I heard that it adds a lot to property taxes. Much more then a basement. I'm in a duplex and I know someone else who bought a duplex with the attic already done and her taxes were a few thousand more then mine.

amotherof3

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 2:32 am
No guarantees, but taxes should only go up based on the actual amount that you spend on the work. The current tax rate in Lakewood is approximately 2%. So if you multiply the amount that you spend on finishing your attic by 2%, that should be the annual increase in taxes for your finished attic. Hope this helps!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 9:09 am
That's so interesting! I've heard it might be based on square footage or on number of bedrooms, but I never heard this formula. This would add very little- based on the $30,000 bill quoted earlier, it would be only $600.

Can anyone who's done it chime in with actual numbers? The range of a few hundred to a few thousand is really broad and makes a difference to my monthly budget!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries