Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help me have a better attitude

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 2:45 pm
For years I hated my chosen profession, and fantasized about doing other things. The truth is, I can't leave. It just makes no sense, financially. Now that I have to accept that this is it, I need to change my thinking and come up with a way to enjoy what I do. I think if I had a better attitude and projected some enthusiasm, it would also have a positive effect on my work.

Suggestions?

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 2:50 pm
Are you positive you can't leave?

Sometimes, it really is best.

But if you want to accept the current state of things, here's a strategy that helps. Try coming up with 5 things every day to be grateful for that happen at or through work. Write them down.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 2:51 pm
Just curious- what is your current profession?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 3:06 pm
imasinger wrote:
Are you positive you can't leave?

Sometimes, it really is best.

But if you want to accept the current state of things, here's a strategy that helps. Try coming up with 5 things every day to be grateful for that happen at or through work. Write them down.

Thank you Imasinger, this is exactly what I was looking for.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 3:16 pm
Playing music at work can help. I had a verrry boring job back in 1999. When nobody else was in the office I played music and it really helped me.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 3:54 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
Playing music at work can help. I had a verrry boring job back in 1999. When nobody else was in the office I played music and it really helped me.

Thanks. I know I didn't describe the work. It's not boring, actually, it's more that it's not fulfilling, and I question my part in a system that leaves others unhappy. Like how someone might feel working for a collection agency, for an example.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Mar 04 2019, 4:23 pm
It sounds like your conscience is bothering you and that's not a small thing that you want to squish. Are you sure you can't take your skills someplace else? It might be worth a small pay cut if at the end of the day you feel you are doing something if not worthwhile, at least not a detriment to other people.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:57 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. I know I didn't describe the work. It's not boring, actually, it's more that it's not fulfilling, and I question my part in a system that leaves others unhappy. Like how someone might feel working for a collection agency, for an example.

Well *if* you worked at a collection agency perhaps you could switch to a job at a debt-counselling agency. Since you probably work at something else and don't want to tell us what it is, you may need to apply your own imagination to come up with some alternative use of your skills.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics