Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Desperate for money

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 10:52 am
If you are really behind and can't figure how to get out of the hole, would you ever consider going door to door for tzedaka?

Most likely in a different neighborhood or town, obviously.

ETA: I'm amother "blush". How appropriate is that ? embarrassed

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 11:40 am
Me too. I call up organizations for financial assistance. And wealthy people (you don't have to say it's for yourself. You can say you have a close family relative who's struggling financially. Though people would rather give if they know it's for yourself. Also call up places you want to shop and ask for nice discount ahead of time.
When you're at a cashier paying, always ask: what's the beat price you can offer? Usually they give discounts.
Don't be ashamed to ask.

bunnyrabbit

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:33 pm
May Hashem send you a yeshua and may we never be in such a situation but I agree with PP that I would ask an orgainzation before going door to door. An org may also help you get back on your feet, which collecting will not do.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Me too. I call up organizations for financial assistance. And wealthy people (you don't have to say it's for yourself. You can say you have a close family relative who's struggling financially. Though people would rather give if they know it's for yourself. Also call up places you want to shop and ask for nice discount ahead of time.
When you're at a cashier paying, always ask: what's the beat price you can offer? Usually they give discounts.
Don't be ashamed to ask.

Can u name some organization in NY? Im in a similar situation and dont know where to turn.

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:41 pm
Women constantly go door to door, usually 2 people together collecting for a cause or for a needy family, people don't know who the money goes for.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Don't be ashamed to ask.

Which organization?

And do you talk to the wives of wealthy people, or to the men?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:49 pm
If you have an identifiable emergency your local Urban Ministry may be able to provide assistance with bills like electric, water, etc. The program here very OOT is called the Emergency Assistance Program (EAP). They have food banks and emergency shelter too.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 12:52 pm
But to answer your question, no I wouldn’t. I’m too familiar with what services are available as a social worker and I would rather use those services. There are also jobs to do not in an office in extra time I would do first, like Uber or online teaching with VIP Kids, etc. It feels very unsafe going door to door but I know people do it.

forgetit

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:01 pm
I would second trying organizations first and then trying to get a donor list. HOw much money do people get from going door to door that its worth the time, effort, humiliation? Might not a minimum paying job pay more than that?
You should try local Tomchei Shabbos and Bikur Cholim and they can direct you further. If you live out of town and don't have those, ask your rav what resources may be available. In Rockland county you have Kupath Ezra. In 5T you have Achiezer etc. In Brooklyn there's also an org. though I don't recall the name.
There are also gov programs such as food stamps, welfare, if need be.
Hope things turn around for you really soon.

perquacky

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:33 pm
Does your shul--or any shul in your neighborhood--have a rabbi's fund? This tzedaka is collected several times throughout the year to be used at the rabbi's discretion.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:46 am
perquacky wrote:
Does your shul--or any shul in your neighborhood--have a rabbi's fund? This tzedaka is collected several times throughout the year to be used at the rabbi's discretion.

That's part of the problem. I have a really hard time getting to shul, so I don't have a kesher with any of the rabbis here, and besides I just moved here recently.

perquacky

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
That's part of the problem. I have a really hard time getting to shul, so I don't have a kesher with any of the rabbis here, and besides I just moved here recently.

I would reach out anyway. I'm sure it's not easy, and I'm sure it's humbling, but from what I understand, you don't have to be a member of any particular shul or know the rabbi to request help.
I would send out an email if a phone call or a face-to-face meeting is too difficult.
Please try. You have nothing to lose, and possibly something to gain.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:26 pm
Look over your current phone plan, insurance (health, car) and see if you could find cheaper plans or qualify for govt programs.

Geulanow

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:45 pm
Contact a Jewish community council or JCC, if there is one where you live.
Or try calling a national Jewish organization , such as Agudath Israel 646.254.1659, Ntional Council of Young Israel 212.929.1525, Chabad headquarters 718-774-4000, Orthodox Union 212-563-4000, which have branches worldwide and also probably have chesed funds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics