Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The Dark Side Of Earning Credit Card Points
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:36 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I was just scammed!!!!! I did this for a few years and made some$$$
however on my last swipe the merchent is not paying up any advise? how to go about this?
if this happened to you please post here your ideas what can be done
please no bashing or negative comments respond only if you can help out!!!

A lot of the people that got scammed are filing for bankruptcy. Or so I heard.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:37 pm
again there is no dark side to earning credit card points if you are using it for your own needs and can cover your bill

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:44 pm
Thanx,
who do I speak to?
If I dispute charges that I never authorized any of those charges what happens than??? I never signed a anything !

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:08 pm
I had a similar situation. I will give you the advice I was given.
Do NOT dispute the charge claiming you didn't receive goods or services. You can't prove there was a promise of goods or services and you will be lying.
Do NOT dispute saying it was an unknown or fraudulent charge. Firstly, if the your card was used in the past there is a history between you and the merchant that the credit card company can see. Secondly, if there was ANY communication between you and the merchant (there had to have been for them to get the card info) then there is proof you knew about the charge.
If the merchant is working with a lawyer or an advisor they will fight every dispute because wrongful disputes are a bigger issue for them (criminally) than a bad loan. Which, in essence, is exactly what this was. A bad loan.
At some point the merchant will likely be sued by the bank and you will be subpoenaed. You will have to either admit you loaned the card or lie under oath. There is a case in upstate NY now where many cardholders are in deep trouble because they filed false disputes and are now being subpoenaed.
The merchant owes you money. Your only recourse is to take legal action against the merchant for the money you are owed or declare bankruptcy. (If you can afford to pay the card and walk away that may be your best option because you'll pay a lot of legal fees and may never get the money back if the merchant doesn't have it)
Any kind of disputing will make it much worse for you as the cardholder.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 10:52 pm
what happens if I file for bancrupcy?
what are the short term effects and long term effects?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:17 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
what happens if I file for bancrupcy?
what are the short term effects and long term effects?

You can't open any cards, take out any loans, buy a home for 7 years. You need to build credit back up.
If you own any assets like a home now it will be taken.
My friend filed for bankruptcy a decade ago (not because of this). She didn't own anything then and was able to build up her credit score eventually. BH she got a mortgage for a new home last year.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 11:52 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
You can't open any cards, take out any loans, buy a home for 7 years. You need to build credit back up.
If you own any assets like a home now it will be taken.
My friend filed for bankruptcy a decade ago (not because of this). She didn't own anything then and was able to build up her credit score eventually. BH she got a mortgage for a new home last year.

That's not exactly true. I filed for bankruptcy 3 years ago, and this has been my experience.

Your can ask for exemptions from the bankruptcy. Your first home, and your cars (necessary for work) can be excluded from it - as long as you continue making payments against it.

After about a 9-12 months, you can open a secured credit card. And if you keep that in good standing, it'll be only a couple of months to a year to upgrade it to a regular credit card.

With careful management, you can build your credit up pretty quickly. My score is already back up to a decent level at this time.

The seven year figure is how long the bankruptcy stays on your credit reports.

If you do decide to go this route, talk to a bankruptcy lawyer. They're really helpful and will clarify all the details for you.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 1:25 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Thanx,
who do I speak to?
If I dispute charges that I never authorized any of those charges what happens than??? I never signed a anything !

Is there proof you ever received cash, points or perks. Do you have any correspondence about this?
If yes then don’t lie - it could be much worse.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 4:55 am
People aren't thinking we are gifted things right? look into "deals"

penguin

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 1:49 pm
Well, you see, there's nothing wrong with legitimately EARNING credit card points. But when you try to get points you haven't EARNED, that's where there's a problem.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 5:13 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I was just scammed!!!!! I did this for a few years and made some$$$
however on my last swipe the merchent is not paying up any advise? how to go about this?
if this happened to you please post here your ideas what can be done
please no bashing or negative comments respond only if you can help out!!!

Call zaki tamir law office, they are working on these cases that happened in the Jewish community, hopefully they can help you

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 6:57 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Call zaki tamir law office, they are working on these cases that happened in the Jewish community, hopefully they can help you

I believe he is a scam artist that is scamming already vulnerable people out of more money. I've heard from people that have used him that he was no help at all.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 8:33 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I believe he is a scam artist that is scamming already vulnerable people out of more money. I've heard from people that have used him that he was no help at all.

I don't understand how he was of no help, I know people that are using him and they didn't finish the case yet, it's getting started

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 8:53 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I don't understand how he was of no help, I know people that are using him and they didn't finish the case yet, it's getting started

I spoke to people that he had previously "tried to help"

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:17 pm
I don’t understand. What happened ? What does it mean they didn’t pay the merchant?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:40 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I don’t understand. What happened ? What does it mean they didn’t pay the merchant?

A company uses a private person credit card to make purchases. They pay the bill
The name on the card gets the card perks - like Cash or miles.
If the company has financial issues and stops paying the card the person whose name is on the card is stuck with the charges.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Apr 30 2019, 11:53 pm
Btw I wouldn't say you were scammed, it seems you lent your credit card to someone who usually paid back his debt but now can't afford to.
The usual scam is people using your info or credit without your consent to begin with.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics