Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
How much do you really believe this?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:11 pm
‘A Thought To Help Us
Think About Hashem

Nothing happens
without Hishtadlus,
but Hishtadlus doesn't
make things happen

Hishtadlus is
the Hebrew term for
the efforts we make
in achieving
a certain goal’

groovy1224

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:25 pm
Well, some things happen without hishtadlus.. sometimes something falls into your lap.

But the rest I believe.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 1:58 pm
It's basically saying.....you have almost no chance if you don't even try, but even if you try there are no guarantees.

Seems obvious. What's there to disagree with???

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
It's basically saying.....you have almost no chance if you don't even try, but even if you try there are no guarantees.

Maybe she disagrees that nothing happens without hishtadlus. Question is, what does does hishtadlus consist of? And whose hishtadlus? Yours? Your mom’s? Gedolei Yisrael?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:

A lot of people (most people I believe) think “kochi v’otzem Yadi” that they’re in control of things happening.

elisheva25

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:42 pm
Totally and absolutely true . Hishtadlus is just an outer facade .

gande

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 2:48 pm
You have to do hishtadlos. Although sometime your yeshua will come from another place. I had that experience few times. Doing hishtadlos is a way of showing Hashem that you are serious about the thing you want and that you really want to help yourself. There is a quote that I always say that "in the way a person wants to go, Hashem takes him.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:23 pm
If I'm not actively believing this in the moment, then I believe in kochi v'otzem yadi. It's a shame. I wish it were different.

mig100

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:

Nothing happens
without Hishtadlus,
but Hishtadlus doesn't
make things happen

how much do I beleive?

not enough. or anywhere near enough. though, I do believe it more and more each year.

for someone to truly honestly wholeheartedly believe that - I think is a lifetimes work.

this statement is such a basic foundation to emunah/ yidishkait. yet so difficult to acheive.

I think separating hishtadlus and results is one of the hardest things in life- and at the same time a recipe for true tranquility and peace of mind

chicco

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:47 pm
Hishtadlus is simply that which makes you able to be receptive to more from Hashem. The hishtadlus makes you able- Hashem makes it done.

mig100

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:

"hishtaduls doesnt make things happen"

its saying a lot more. its saying if you work hard and succeed- you can not take credit for the success.

yest- we are responsible to do proper hishtadlus.

doesnt seem obvious at all to me. most (myself incldued) beleive at least to some extent that their sucess and failures are somewhat to their credit/ fault

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:58 pm
gande wrote:
You have to do hishtadlos. Although sometime your yeshua will come from another place. I had that experience few times. Doing hishtadlos is a way of showing Hashem that you are serious about the thing you want and that you really want to help yourself. There is a quote that I always say that "in the way a person wants to go, Hashem takes him.

I love this! I think it's a Chazal ..... Bederech sheAdam Rotzeh Leyelech malichin Otoh.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:20 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Totally and absolutely true . Hishtadlus is just an outer facade .

What does this mean? Obviously the world runs on hishtadlus.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:14 pm
gande wrote:

There is a story of someone who went abroad to collect for a yeshiva, they needed say, $50,000, and for some reason he completely struck out. He came back, returned to his RY apologetically. The RY greeted him beaming him and congratulating him. He told him that the results weren't the point, we had to make the effort. Because that morning a donation came in for...$50,000.

Don't remember where I heard the story but it illustrates the point.

Reminds me of the famous story of the guy who makes hakafos desperately looking for a parking spot and starts to bargain with G-d. Just the someone pulls out. "Thanks, G-d, looks like I don't need Your help after all."

We have to realize that Hashem organizes everything. He created a world of cause and effect, of nature, but we don't always get results. And even when we do, it's ONLY because He wills it.

chestnut

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:58 pm
mig100 wrote:

doesnt seem obvious at all to me. most (myself incldued) beleive at least to some extent that their sucess and failures are somewhat to their credit/ fault

Interesting topic. I believe that to some extent, they are. If I study for the test, I pass. If I don't (and I'm not a genius), I won't.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:39 pm
chestnut wrote:
Interesting topic. I believe that to some extent, they are. If I study for the test, I pass. If I don't (and I'm not a genius), I won't.

I agree. I think people fool themselves that hashem didn't put into this world a very direct link between hishtadlus and success. Wake up ladies.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:46 pm
Double post

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:48 pm
chicco wrote:
The hishtadlus makes you able- Hashem makes it done.

So your saying if someone doesn’t make hishtadluls in a certain area
H-Shem won’t make it happen? Not true.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:49 pm
chestnut wrote:

That’s absolutely not true and not a given.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
I agree. I think people fool themselves that hashem didn't put into this world a very direct link between hishtadlus and success. Wake up ladies.

Your outlook is quite wrong. Hishtadlus has absolutely no effect on the outcome. None. I heard in a shiur by Rabbi Ezriel Tauber, that for example in the area of shidduchim, a single can sit in the house twiddling their thumbs, and they will not get married any later than if he ran after every shadchan in the world. It’s a hard concept to understand, accept and live, but very true. We have zero power over anything.

gande wrote:
Doing hishtadlos is a way of showing Hashem that you are serious about the thing you want and that you really want to help yourself.

That’s not the reason we have to do hishtadlus. Hash-m could read our minds and know we are serious about something we want and that we want to help ourselves; He doesnt need us to do Hishtadlus to show Him that. We do it because that’s what The Torah says we must do, but it has no effect on the outcome at all. It’s a big test to see if we believe our effort is what makes something happen or if we know we have no power, only Hashem does.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational