Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
United [black person] college fund is it racist?
1  2  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:43 pm
I just heard someone talking about making donations to the United [black person] college fund. How isnt it racist. What if there was colleges called united white college fund.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:48 pm
Seriously?

Please read a bit about the history of [black person] colleges before asking such a question.

Are people racist for supporting Catholic schools or Yeshivas?

Some people support single s*ex woman's colleges for specific reasons that have nothing to do with being anti-male.

ETA - Historically black colleges do admit whites. My cousin went to Howard University Medical School.

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:50 pm
Please read about this topic.

No, really.

happybeingamom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:58 pm
No it is not racist

Many charities are specific for a special population. That is one of the beauties of charity you decide who should benefit from your money.

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 4:59 pm
It's racist and so is affirmative action and the black caucus. If you want to say it is justified to right historical wrongs, that's a different argument than it isn't racist.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:05 pm
Its just as racist as the JNF, JFNA, or any other frum tzedakka.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:17 pm
This thought went through my mind when I saw today's Google's banner says "Celebrate Black Women and Girls." I don't think I've ever seen Google dedicate a day to celebrating the achievements specifically of white or hispanic women. (All holidays, yes, including Kwanzaa and Cinco de Mayo, but praising the accomplishments of specifically white women? Never.)

After Michelle Obama's "Black Girls Rock" event many of my students wanted to know what would happen if there was a "White Women Rock" event. Not only the white kids asked; all the kids were interested.

We don't get to pick and choose when racism applies and only to whom. One of my black students picked up my white out today and told a white student that she'd look even whiter if she used that on her face. They're only 12 so it was the perfect teachable moment. In our classroom, racism goes both ways!

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:42 pm
watergirl wrote:
Its just as racist as the JNF, JFNA, or any other frum tzedakka.

Jewish charities support non--Jews. A big percentage of the monies collected don't go to Jews.

When Yankel Rosenbaum was murdered, it turned out that the people inciting the crowd were from black churches that UJA supported. I believe the organization was UJA, but it was definitely a big Jewish charity. I wrote an article on this and examined the budget as part of the article.

There is nothing that states the money must go to Jews. It was explained to me that the organization collects more than Jews need. This was shocking to me because I always believed that my dollars support Jews not those that call for he murder of Jews.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:44 pm
I like to support the paralyzed veterans of America

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 5:59 pm
As per usual - very useful to understand what the term "racist" actually means.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 6:05 pm
Does the UNCF have a history of anti-white or anti-Semitic statements? That would definitely be a reason to not support them. Otherwise, I don't see a problem.

If I have money to share, I donate to Chessed funds, and to battered women's shelters. There is never enough money for DV victims, and never enough beds for emergency housing. Donating used clothing is not enough.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 6:38 am
groisamomma wrote:
This thought went through my mind when I saw today's Google's banner says "Celebrate Black Women and Girls." I don't think I've ever seen Google dedicate a day to celebrating the achievements specifically of white or hispanic women. (All holidays, yes, including Kwanzaa and Cinco de Mayo, but praising the accomplishments of specifically white women? Never.)

Why don't you make an appointment with the principal and suggest an event to celebrate the achievements of white women?

Last edited by imasoftov on Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:12 am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ7So4bEUMA

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 11:44 am
imasoftov wrote:
Why don't you make an appointment with the principal and suggest an event to celebrate the achievements of white women?

Nope, that's something I prefer to deal with on a class level. It's not my business to bring this school-wide, nor to wade into political waters.

"Mrs. Obama made a mistake--as adults often do--and unwittingly hurt your feelings. I'm sure she didn't mean to. What are some things you would have liked her to celebrate about white women?"

Enter Google and a quick class discussion about the achievements of women of ALL colors. (During math class, no less Very Happy) Nice and positive with no hard feelings.

simcha2

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:21 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Nope, that's something I prefer to deal with on a class level. It's not my business to bring this school-wide, nor to wade into political waters.

"Mrs. Obama made a mistake--as adults often do--and unwittingly hurt your feelings. I'm sure she didn't mean to. What are some things you would have liked her to celebrate about white women?"

Enter Google and a quick class discussion about the achievements of women of ALL colors. (During math class, no less Very Happy) Nice and positive with no hard feelings.

I hope you don't have any boys in your class.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:29 pm
groisamomma wrote:

you sound awesome

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:46 pm
Actually, the United [black person] College Fund is precisely the kind of organization we want to encourage. There should also be the Korean-American College Fund, the Albanian-American College Fund, the Malawan-American College Fund, and the Ferret-Lovers College Fund.

And add to that the thousands of community organizations based on geography, hobbies, ethnic background, religion, and whatnot that give small scholarships each year.

It's a good thing when communities, whether geographic or based on some common characteristic, help their own members.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 4:50 pm
fox- I had the same reaction. I think more people should feel a sense of responsibility for their own kind.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:02 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I hope you don't have any boys in your class.

I certainly do and trust me they get their turn plenty. I'm always bringing in positive role models for them, of every color. I have a federal corrections officer and members of the military coming in for years and the boys eat it up.

simcha2

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 5:41 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I certainly do and trust me they get their turn plenty. I'm alwoays bringing in positive role models for them, of every color. I have a federal corrections officer and members of the military coming in for years and the boys eat it up.

But that's the point. Why are you ok with looking at girl accomplishments? Surely that's sexist.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics