Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interior Decorators!!! Help ASAP!!!!!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:15 pm
I just got offered a huge job redecorating an industrial facility, basicly a nursing home/assisted living kind of a place. I have always been interestetd in interior decorating but mostly residential. I am very interested in this job but I don't even know how to become an interior decorator! I don't even have a degree! I really want it cuz I'm interested in it and I think it would be fun and GD knows I need the money but I have no experience.
What should I do?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:27 pm
You dont need a degree, You need good taste. Go for it. They offered it to you, they trust you

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:32 pm
Well actually my husbands boss offrred it to me, he will get a percentage.
My husband works for a guy that sells linens and stuff to nursing homes and hotels and airlines, etc. And one of his clients asked him for a suggestion and he picked me!

MahPitom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:42 pm
I can help and we can split it :-)

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:47 pm
Mah Pitom where do you live?

Lani22

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:48 pm
This is a HUGE job. I think you definately need experience in order to do it properly. Furnishing a nursing home is totally different then furnishing a residential home.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:57 pm
Whats the difference? except that you need to buy in bulk?

MahPitom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:58 pm
You have to have flair and taste. I have nothing to show except my enthusiasm. PM me

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 5:59 pm
I have taste. I have the gidt of interior decorating, or so people say.

happyone

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 6:06 pm
I'll help you! I love doing these things.

Lani22

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 6:08 pm
RivkiA wrote:
Whats the difference? except that you need to buy in bulk?

hmm where do I begin? Furniture in nursing homes get alot more usage then they would in a residential home. For that reason peices are bought using different materials. For instance dining chairs are upolstered in vinal not cloth, bedspreads are made of longer lasting fabric because they are washed more often.... Also because a nursing home buys in bulk they usually use a licensed decorater who gets discounts through vendors.
Everything in a nursing home has to be in regulation with building and health codes a decorator with knowledge of these codes will have an easier time buying furniture that fits the bill.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 6:31 pm
I have the discount thru the vendor....My husband....

square_peg

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:01 pm
Definately go for it.

maybe buy yourself a couple of books, about decorating industrial space. Ask the project manager what they want. not everybody would be interested in having a nursing home look industrial, they may want it homey and classy.

you can always buy 1-2 books, if you feel nervous about doing this particular project, but I would definitely go for it, being creatively inclined.. Smile

Tefila

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:09 pm
Go 4 it. I am sure too u will be able to perhaps google it or get some images of how other old age homes look etc
Hatzlacha Smile
Do keep in mind though staff may like a modern look, most elderly like a look that they grew up with Wink

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 11:15 pm
it seems scary since you haven't yet done such a thing for a "job" - but, I'm confident the reason they asked you is because they know you can do it ... GO FOR IT!!!

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 3:48 pm
Aw, thanks guys for your confidence!
I want the job but now I just have to convince the manager of the nursing home to hire me. One thing will be that I am def cheaper! I heard that one person went to her and told her $10-12000 just to come look at the place!!! I'll do that for free!

DesignMommy

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 2:50 pm
In order to properly design any space, residental or commercial, you need to properly understand proportion, spacial relations, lighting and color relationships. "Good Taste" is something that is completely subjective, and an interior designer or decorator does not use their own taste when they design a space, they take the client's taste and ideas and use that to come up with design solutions for that particular space. Any designer is taught first and foremost that the client is the boss and we should never impose our "tastes" on the client's space, rather make the most out of what they love.
Also, there are usually code regulations for furniture and space planning when it comes to commercial design. Designing a commercial space is very different then designing a residential space.

gigi

Post Fri, Dec 14 2007, 2:56 pm
be honest with them.
don't tell them you have a license you don't have.
if they still want you and trust you, GO DO IT!

Life Is A Game Meant To Be Played By The Living.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics