Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which ruthless monster prankster did this to innocents?

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:22 pm
Im wondering if his wife knew about this while it was happening and if yes, if she thought it was funny.

BIZAYON HATORAH: The “Gvir” Who Gave Tzedakah By Making Bochurim Jump Into Ice-Cold Swimming Pool

This story takes place in the United States, as told by HaGaon HaRav Yitzchak Zilberstein Shlita, Mora D’asra of the Ramat Elchanan community of Bnei Brak.

The rav tells the story of six yeshiva talmidim who decided they are going to assist their yeshiva by raising money. These bochrim visited the home of a well-known gvir in the community, a resident with the ability to write out a substantial check.

The response of this philanthropist was somewhat bizarre, telling the bochrim that for each one of them willing to jump into his ice-cold swimming pool fully clothed, the yeshiva will receive $1000. The bochrim did not hesitate and all six jumped in with their clothing on. The gvir was good to his word, writing out a check to the yeshiva in the promised amount of $6000.

The proud bochrim submitted the money to the yeshiva, and when the administration learned of how they got the donation, the yeshiva decided to tear up the check, which they feel was earned by denigrating Torah, albeit with good intensions.

Rav Zilberstein addressed the question if the gvir is required to write out another check. The rav ruled after much pilpul regarding the sheilah that the gvir did not have to repay the $6000 to tzedaka because “it was not a donation, but a disgrace”.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Emotional

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:28 pm
I'm scratching my head...

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:32 pm
I vote the article is Purim shtick, a takeoff on the ALS ice bucket challenge.

Who keeps a swimming pool ice cold? People drain and cover pools in the cold weather, so as not to damage them.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:34 pm
Im hoping this is purim news... Not real

causemommysaid

sounds like a story taken out of context. We have no idea about the tone of the request. It could have been a bunch of guys goofing around and it was a publicity stunt. People do polar bear plunges all the time for charity. there was an ice bucket challenge going around on facebook also. It could have been a nasty trick or it could have been in good fun.

thunderstorm

How about the yeshiva not tearing up the check and showing the bachurim that they appreciate what they did to help the yeshiva keep teaching Torah? In my opinion the approach taken was a bit extreme. Seems like the gvir and bachurim had a good time in the process. He was testing to see how serious they were.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:35 pm
Who knows if this story is really true. Anyway, I have a feeling that many of the drunk bochrim who will be going around collecting from their stretch limousines (of course it's l'sheim shamayim) would get a kick out of the idea of jumping in a pool for $1000 a piece.

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:36 pm
imasinger wrote:
I vote the article is Purim shtick, a takeoff on the ALS ice bucket challenge.

Who keeps a swimming pool ice cold? People drain and cover pools in the cold weather, so as not to damage them.

Me no think so.

Could have happened in a state thats not that cold., so they dont cover the pool.

I may have thought this was Purim Shtick as well, eif not for the mention of R' Zilberstein.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:36 pm
I could easily see this happening, and once one boy jumps in, all the others would have to do it also because of peer pressure. Bochurim are not really known for their good sense of judgement sometimes.

As a mom, my first thought was "What if one of the boys had an undiagnosed heart condition?" CVS, you hear of otherwise healthy young boys dying of heart attacks while playing basketball and things like that. Imagine what a tragedy that would have been for the community if the shtick went horribly wrong.

iyar

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:43 pm
Before we get upset with this monster, we need to do a little research.
I've heard the story is embellished or almost completely fabricated. It may have been used as an amusing springboard for discussion to determine what would be the correct halachic approach to asking the wealthy man for another check.
I'm not sure this is correct but it sounds plausible. (At least as plausible as someone having a freezing swimming pool.)
I wonder if there are any Bne B'raq'I imamothers who want to find out for us before we get all caught up in our righteous indignation.

ETA
I see I'm not the only one following this line of thought.
A freilichen Purim!

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 3:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I could easily see this happening, and once one boy jumps in, all the others would have to do it also because of peer pressure. Bochurim are not really known for their good sense of judgement sometimes.

As a mom, my first thought was "What if one of the boys had an undiagnosed heart condition?" CVS, you hear of otherwise healthy young boys dying of heart attacks while playing basketball and things like that. Imagine what a tragedy that would have been for the community if the shtick went horribly wrong.

Id never even think that anyone would do the shtick. When shtick was mentioned, I thought she meant someone posted an untrue story. Making people ill isnt a Shtick, its SICK.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics