Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary spreadsheet going around
1  2  Next

sra

Post Tue, Mar 05 2019, 11:58 pm
My niece was just telling me about a seminary spreadsheet that is going around-with names of ppl going, diff info they all share about each sem, ways to contact each other...My sister later told me she has a prob with her daughter being on it, she feels like it is oversharing e.t.c. What do you think?

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 12:06 am
Who created this spreadsheet?

Did girls put their names on it voluntary?

Sounds like a violation of privacy...

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 12:18 am
sra wrote:
My niece was just telling me about a seminary spreadsheet that is going around-with names of ppl going, diff info they all share about each sem, ways to contact each other...My sister later told me she has a prob with her daughter being on it, she feels like it is oversharing e.t.c. What do you think?

there is nothing to be gained - and only privacy to be lost.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 12:40 am
It's how the girls let each other know where they are going. Obviously no one forces girls to give their info.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 12:45 am
It goes around every year. I looked at it and it is innocuous. The first page has a list of all the seminaries and girls can add their names and school or city. It says not to add anyone’s name without their permission. Girls can see who else is going to their seminary, camp friends, etc. The other pages have seminary info such as the start and end dates, location, uniform policy, and girls can post questions like “how many girls in a room?” If the mother is so concerned, she can take her name off.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:01 am
I'm unclear; is this among friends from one school or camp? It seems like it's about keeping in touch?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 1:44 am
Girls set up a Google doc. It lets them see who is going where, and then they can meet up, either virtually or in real life, before they get to seminary. Sometimes they arrange to request each other as roommates. A lot of kids find that knowing who their peers will be eases the transition.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:18 am
I applied to seminary in 2012 and the spreadsheet thing was a thing back then. It’s shared among classes,camp friends and random friends.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:25 am
From what my DD told me.
It has basic info from each sem. Not sure how reliable the dates are since the sems didn't mail anything.
Packing list.

Some kids were adding weird stuff, but that gets removed quickly.

My dd's sm already had a WhatsApp chat. They are using it to get to know each other and get roommates. Other sems are using the spreadsheet.

Ask your DD to share it with you. You can see if anything weird is happening there.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 7:55 am
My daughter didn’t put herself on it but I wouldn’t care if she did (where she will be in seminary next year is not exactly protected information). I actually feel a little... conflicted about the fact that she is using and benefiting from it (knowing who is going where etc) but won’t put herself on it.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:56 am
My concern would be that someone with ill intentions could use this list to get phone numbers and location information of hundreds (thousands?) of girls who could be vulnerable away from home. It's a nice idea in theory but I understand your worry.

abound

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:03 am
this is a great time to explain to sheltered kids what the issue is with posting personal info online, and how ppl can get a hold of this even though it is not their intention.
Its a teaching moment.

sra

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 2:33 pm
This sheet is available to everyone....it brings to a real lack of privacy...

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 3:08 pm
AFAIK the list only has names of girls, not contact information. What I don't like about it is that girls start making judgments about their future classmates based on name or location or someone else who vaguely knows them before they've even met.

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
AFAIK the list only has names of girls, not contact information. What I don't like about it is that girls start making judgments about their future classmates based on name or location or someone else who vaguely knows them before they've even met.

Even innocuous information is too much information:

"Sara? Sara is that you? Sara, from Baltimore? OMG, that's amazing, how are you? We met once, and I was completely impressed by you. I heard you're going to XYZ Bais Yaakov, how is that going? Here, I'm in a rush, but just give me your number, and let's meet up next week. I want to hear more about how your sem year is going."

Completely plausible for a total stranger to be able to convince you that s/he knows you, and that it's safe to interact with them.

sra

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:20 am
so what bothers you more: The safety or the lack of privacy?

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 6:24 am
sra wrote:
so what bothers you more: The safety or the lack of privacy?

For me? Safety. It's the same reason you never write out a child's name on their backpack. Seminary girls may be 18, but often their sheltered childhood has not prepared them to deal with harsher realities. Just because they are of legal age doesn't mean they automatically discern threats and know how to deal with them. They need to be trained and educated to deal with such things at this transition stage, if not sooner.

nchr

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:00 am
Rappel wrote:
For me? Safety. It's the same reason you never write out a child's name on their backpack. Seminary girls may be 18, but often their sheltered childhood has not prepared them to deal with harsher realities. Just because they are of legal age doesn't mean they automatically discern threats and know how to deal with them. They need to be trained and educated to deal with such things at this transition stage, if not sooner.

I agree with this. Unfortunately, where I live, many people put the first initial or name on their toddlers yarmulkas, and almost everyone places labels inside of clothing. I'd rather my child lose his sweater than have a stranger take a peek and know his name.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 7:37 am
My DD just informed me that the spreadsheet is now locked. You need to be added to see it.

She said it's mostly getting information regarding the uniform and the list if girls attending each seminary. There is also a list of all Seminary locations and dorms.

sra

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:10 am
I saw it. it also has spaces to write your email-places to ask questions abt diff sems etc
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics