Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Nut free in school

momof2+?

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 8:40 pm
My son brought home a note from his rebbi that he will iyH be bringing chocolate for his class this Friday (to contribute to siyum)
The school is nut free and I bH don't have allergies in my family so I don't know rules.....

Can he bring a chocolate that says "produced in a facility that also processed nuts etc"? O r "may contain nuts, Or do I have to find something truly nut free?

And WHY is auto correct changing every 'nut ' to 'but'????????

Thanks!

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:18 pm
I dont know which chocolate is nut free in c'y variety. Maybe some brands of chocolate chips. Are their children with nut allergies in the class? It really isn't nice to send processed in a plant if there is a kid who is allergic. It's also not nice for rebbie to assign chocolate.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 9:59 pm
There are differing degrees of possible contamination:

1. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF means that there can be actually pieces of the allergen inside. This is a real risk for the allergic individual.

2. MANUFACTURED ON A LINE THAT ALSO PRODUCES means that the new food was made on the same equipment that an allergen had been prepared on. There is cleaning in between. Only very severely allergic people have reactions from this level.

3. MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT ALSO PRODUCES means that somewhere in the same building an allergen is also being used an ingredient. Very few people are so severely allergic that they will react at this level.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:04 pm
You need to ask the rebbi. I know that for my kids I've asked the teachers and depending on the needs of that class I've been told different things. If there's a child in the class with a severe nut allergy you'll probably have to get it from a completely nut free bakery. Otherwise they'll let you know how strict you need to be.

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:

1. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF means that there can be actually pieces of the allergen inside. This is a real risk for the allergic individual.

2. MANUFACTURED ON A LINE THAT ALSO PRODUCES means that the new food was made on the same equipment that an allergen had been prepared on. There is cleaning in between. Only very severely allergic people have reactions from this level.

3. MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT ALSO PRODUCES means that somewhere in the same building an allergen is also being used an ingredient. Very few people are so severely allergic that they will react at this level.

My father runs a Kiddush that takes place an a school and he is only allowed to bring in the 3rd point from the list lavender amother posted.

If I remember, he said Blooms is a good brand for that degree.

singleagain

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:20 pm
momof2+? wrote:

And WHY is auto correct changing every 'nut ' to 'but'????????

Thanks!

Also, are you using a touch screen? The 'b' and 'n' are right next to each other, so when swyping or typing fast the phone might be recognizing the 'b'

shanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 11:24 pm
I've seen paskesz nut free chocolate coins- most are not but this one is specifically advertised as nut free
Most pareve chocolate is cross contaminated with nuts- or can be. According to unconfirmed info someone told me
Enjoy life brand makes pareve chocolate and cookies in a dedicated nut free facility. I bought their chocolate chips at target.

juggling

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 12:59 am
amother wrote:

For the record, none of those statements are legally regulated (or even legally mandated), so, while it's tempting to read into them and decide on comfort level, it really isn't very meaningful.

As far as OP, you need to ask the rebbe. Some schools have blanket nut-free policies, even if there isn't a child in the class with nut allergies. You need to find out what the school policy is, and whether there is a child in the class who is affected by this directly.

Someone mentioned Enjoy Life. There is also a company called No Whey. They both make nut-free chocolate, but they are crazy expensive. If it needs to be completely nut-free (not even shared facility) I'm not sure what mass-market brands you'll find. Someone mentioned Paskez coins. Again, ask the rebbe what he has in mind.

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 8:30 am
Just wanted to say. My dad says he has never found a paszkes product that is didn't have some trace of nuts. And that most Bloom's is totally nut free.

momsrus

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:03 am
amother wrote:

These three are interchangeable and food manufacturers just pick on of these three to use on all their products that may contain traces of nuts.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 9:08 am
singleagain wrote:
Just wanted to say. My dad says he has never found a paszkes product that is didn't have some trace of nuts. And that most Bloom's is totally nut free.

Are you saying that he actually tested the contents, or is this based on labels? Because unfortunately the labels are not necessarily accurate. Some say "may contain traces" because they see it as an easy way to avoid liability even if there isn't that risk. Some don't say anything because they can't be bothered. It's pretty imprecise, especially among heimish brands.

singleagain

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Are you saying that he actually tested the contents, or is this based on labels? Because unfortunately the labels are not necessarily accurate. Some say "may contain traces" because they see it as an easy way to avoid liability even if there isn't that risk. Some don't say anything because they can't be bothered. It's pretty imprecise, especially among heimish brands.

My dad says it bc on the Bloom's package says nut free
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics