Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O at what age did you feel grown up ?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 1:56 am
Was it an age or stage?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 3:44 am
I'm 35, kids nearing/over Bar/Bas Mitzvah, and I don't feel grown up most of the time.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 3:56 am
I'm 41 and I dont feel like an adult yet LOL

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 4:43 am

essie14

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 5:44 am
When I started college. 19.
I was self supporting and I was there because I wanted to be there.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 6:18 am
It came in stages, and it's an ongoing process. Parts of me grow up at different rates.

When I wrote my first rent check.
When I held DD for the first time.
When my mom passed away.
When I finally accepted that DD needs to finish high school in America.
When I learned how to ask for help.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:05 am
At 21.
When my child with down syndrome was born

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:08 am
When I made my first Pesach after 4 kids.
When I finally got my driver's license at age 35. Hiding

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:16 am
I’ll tell you when I get there.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:24 am
I've had moments that made me feel like I've grown up but overall, I'm still trying to figure out when I'll be as confident in my adulthood as the adults I wanted to be as a child. I'm 23, 2 kids.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 8:24 am
When I got married

Although I felt like I was playing house for the first year

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 9:55 am
Sometimes I feel like a child still, but I can remember so many moments of adulthood:

The night my not-yet husband told me that he had a mental health diagnosis, explaining
what it meant slowly, tentatively, honestly. His humility, his fear, his hope was clear on his face, showing me what I meant to him, how in a matter of weeks what I thought and felt had come to matter to him, to matter dearly. Reassuring him that it wouldn't change anything, knowing in that moment that I was powerful in a way I had never been before, that as interest and curiosity and flirtation solidified into respect, into love, I was tied now to another person in a way I'd never been before. It was scary, that power, knowing that his vulnerability had given me the power to wound, the power to protect. Knowing that if things continued this way, I’d be vulnerable too, he would have the power to damage or shelter me. Knowing, instinctively, that I could trust him, that he would treat the trust I put in him as sacred, knowing in that moment that if he asked, I’d be his.

The day I took my son home from the NICU. He was the size of a potato chip bag. My husband and I stayed up all night, watching him breath, barely breathing ourselves.

Hearing my pediatrician's mildly worded concerns about my son's development and feeling my stomach drop out, my heart beat stutter. Staring down at the referral that would send us to a developmental neurologist with the words PDD-ASD on it. Coming home from the neurologist with my son after getting his diagnosis, putting him in for a nap and leaning over the rail of the crib to watch him, tears of grief, confusion, anger, fear making dark blue dots on his blanket.

Sending my son into school one morning, his eyes tearful and fearful, his voice watery and resigned, knowing that my growing sense of dread over the past few months could not be ignored any longer, knowing that something was wrong but not knowing what, feeling helpless and tired, watching him trudge bravely into the building, the bravery of a solider headed into battle low on ammunition but willing, every day willing, to fight the good fight. I felt my resolve, my courage, rise, stiffen, stick, flooded with the surety that I would do whatever it took to help him. I pulled away from the parking lot strong. I was his mother, I would figure this out.

Watching my kids make paper airplanes together, their faces serious and serene, voices calm, flexible, thoughtful, hard at work, working together. Knowing what it took to get us here. Knowing that no one else would see this the way I did. After all, what is the big deal? It’s just a couple of kids, making airplanes. But my heart is flying, my eyes are flooding.

Walking my crying baby through the streets in the dark of a warm night. He’d been crying for hours, and looked set to keep crying for hours more. I felt calm. I was strong, I could hold him for as long as he needed. I sang, and walked, certain in the knowledge that he’d be calm eventually, that I’d sleep eventually, that before long he would crawl, walk, talk, that time would pass, this stage would pass. He fell asleep, but I kept walking. Time would pass so quickly.

Telling my sister that I would donate my liver to her husband. Feeling no conflict of emotions, no regret.

Ridethewaves

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
Sometimes I feel like a child still, but I can remember so many moments of adulthood:

The night my not-yet husband told me that he had a mental health diagnosis, explaining
what it meant slowly, tentatively, honestly. His humility, his fear, his hope was clear on his face, showing me what I meant to him, how in a matter of weeks what I thought and felt had come to matter to him, to matter dearly. Reassuring him that it wouldn't change anything, knowing in that moment that I was powerful in a way I had never been before, that as interest and curiosity and flirtation solidified into respect, into love, I was tied now to another person in a way I'd never been before. It was scary, that power, knowing that his vulnerability had given me the power to wound, the power to protect. Knowing that if things continued this way, I’d be vulnerable too, he would have the power to damage or shelter me. Knowing, instinctively, that I could trust him, that he would treat the trust I put in him as sacred, knowing in that moment that if he asked, I’d be his.

The day I took my son home from the NICU. He was the size of a potato chip bag. My husband and I stayed up all night, watching him breath, barely breathing ourselves.

Hearing my pediatrician's mildly worded concerns about my son's development and feeling my stomach drop out, my heart beat stutter. Staring down at the referral that would send us to a developmental neurologist with the words PDD-ASD on it. Coming home from the neurologist with my son after getting his diagnosis, putting him in for a nap and leaning over the rail of the crib to watch him, tears of grief, confusion, anger, fear making dark blue dots on his blanket.

Sending my son into school one morning, his eyes tearful and fearful, his voice watery and resigned, knowing that my growing sense of dread over the past few months could not be ignored any longer, knowing that something was wrong but not knowing what, feeling helpless and tired, watching him trudge bravely into the building, the bravery of a solider headed into battle low on ammunition but willing, every day willing, to fight the good fight. I felt my resolve, my courage, rise, stiffen, stick, flooded with the surety that I would do whatever it took to help him. I pulled away from the parking lot strong. I was his mother, I would figure this out.

Watching my kids make paper airplanes together, their faces serious and serene, voices calm, flexible, thoughtful, hard at work, working together. Knowing what it took to get us here. Knowing that no one else would see this the way I did. After all, what is the big deal? It’s just a couple of kids, making airplanes. But my heart is flying, my eyes are flooding.

Walking my crying baby through the streets in the dark of a warm night. He’d been crying for hours, and looked set to keep crying for hours more. I felt calm. I was strong, I could hold him for as long as he needed. I sang, and walked, certain in the knowledge that he’d be calm eventually, that I’d sleep eventually, that before long he would crawl, walk, talk, that time would pass, this stage would pass. He fell asleep, but I kept walking. Time would pass so quickly.

Telling my sister that I would donate my liver to her husband. Feeling no conflict of emotions, no regret.

You seem like an amazing woman. I wish I knew you!

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:18 am
30-31

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
I'm 35, kids nearing/over Bar/Bas Mitzvah, and I don't feel grown up most of the time.

Interesting.

I'm just a bit younger than you.

In what way don't you feel grown up?

gold21

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Was it an age or stage?

Combination of age and what was going on in my life at that point.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:24 am
amother wrote:

You made me cry. You are such a beautiful strong woman! I wish you weren't amother! But I totally understand why you are.
I'll go amother too.

My marriage at a very young age, the birth of my childen, medical crisis, when we bought a house, moved oot. Made almost every yom tov and pesach myself at a very young age..... All that didn't make me feel grown up.
I'm used to doing the work and figuring things out since before I can even remember myself.

But when I realized that I and only I am in charge of my own destiny.
I have the power to make or break my little people.
I have the right and the power to break away from toxic relationships and build new ones.

It wasn't a specific event in my life. Just an epiphany one day. Literally.

The innate power I have as a human as an adult. That my words and actions matter and make a differece. That I have what it takes to be the kind of person and mother I want to be.

As a young 20 something year old, I felt like an adult.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:38 am
At 30. When I realised how much I've grown emotionally, spiritually, relationally and in maturity on all other fronts

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:41 am
Removed.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Mar 08 2019, 10:45 am
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It really depends on who I'm around. When I'm with young women my dd's age, I feel grown up because they look at me like that, but when I'm around people my age, I feel young. Makes sense. I do however look at my kids and say to myself, wow, how they've grown and you know what that means Laugh ?! (I better grow up too)
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics