Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Quality of food

staten islander

Post Sat, Mar 09 2019, 10:39 pm
I was wondering something-is food from stores like Bingo and Krm the same quality as other stores,for example Gourmet Glatt? Or is the meat made specifically for those stores? How can these stores sell the frozen and dairy items for so much cheaper if they are the same?

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Mar 09 2019, 10:43 pm
Meat is definitely specifically shechted for Bingo. My FIL works in shechita and does it for Bingo. The meat is from Uruguay the chicken is from here.

staten islander

Post Sat, Mar 09 2019, 10:44 pm
Good to know

teachkids

Post Sat, Mar 09 2019, 10:50 pm
I can't say about those stores specifically, but I know the chicken I buy at the cheaper stores has more skin and fat than what my mom pays more for. The meat I buy is definitely tougher than hers.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 09 2019, 11:14 pm
KRM has imported beef. I find that their grain finished beef is of great quality. We enjoy their meat department a lot. It's all very fresh because the stuff keeps selling and they constantly need to restock the refrigerator shelves during the day.
They don't spend time cleaning their chicken on the bone and the chicken quarters are quite large. We don't like that. But chicken breast cutlets are great. Dark chicken cutlets have the middle cartilage piece still attached but I work to remove it before cooking. Their chicken bones are great because they sell the while backbone and it makes a very tasty soup.
I don't like chicken bones from Breadberry because I end up with drumstick bones (not great for soup) and also they don't sell out quickly there, so they don't arrive fresh. But their chicken legs are clean, small and tasty.
Gourmet Glatt has both imported and American beef but I find their imported meat, which they sell at better prices, to be of terrible quality. The meat is dry and tasteless and colorless.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

champagne

Post Sat, Mar 09 2019, 11:46 pm
I find the produce at KRM to go bad really quickly. But I haven’t compared to other stores really. I personally prefer to get our produce from Trader Joe’s—they have amazing quality from my experience and the prices are always better than I expect.

staten islander

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 9:57 am
Yes,I usually get great produce from trader Joe and Costco
I find the best quality meat at glatt mart

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 10:52 am
In general the quality of meat and produce is reflected in the prices although Costco tends to have high quality. Some of TJ produce is good but some of it is just not as good as the highest quality produce I can get but I am very picky with fruit.

I find milk to be pretty standard whatever the price but I do find a huge difference in taste and quality with items like cottage cheese, yogurt and cream cheese but if it is the same brand then obviously it is the same quality.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:06 pm
staten islander wrote:
I was wondering something-is food from stores like Bingo and Krm the same quality as other stores,for example Gourmet Glatt? Or is the meat made specifically for those stores? How can these stores sell the frozen and dairy items for so much cheaper if they are the same?

The way it was explained to me from a head of a kashrus agency, is that the stores like KRM/Moishas buy the meat/chicken in such large bulk that they get very cheap prices and pass along the savings to customers. The cheaper price is not an indication of more inferior products; in fact most likely they’re all getting the same product.

[quote="Amarante"]In general the quality of meat and produce is reflected in the prices. ]

Definitely not necessarily true.

staten islander

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:27 pm
[quote="Cheiny"]The way it was explained to me from a head of a kashrus agency, is that the stores like KRM/Moishas buy the meat/chicken in such large bulk that they get very cheap prices and pass along the savings to customers. The cheaper price is not an indication of more inferior products; in fact most likely they’re all getting the same product.

Amarante wrote:
In general the quality of meat and produce is reflected in the prices. ]

Depends to what you are comparing. No comparison between chicken/meat at pomegranate/glatt mart to krm/bingo/moishe

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:57 pm
[quote="Cheiny"]The way it was explained to me from a head of a kashrus agency, is that the stores like KRM/Moishas buy the meat/chicken in such large bulk that they get very cheap prices and pass along the savings to customers. The cheaper price is not an indication of more inferior products; in fact most likely they’re all getting the same product.

Amarante wrote:
In general the quality of meat and produce is reflected in the prices. ]

I don’t know where you are comparing to but there are real differences in the quality of meat, chicken and fish and the price reflects that quality.

Often when I have bought meat on sale, it’s tougher, fattier or has more gristle than more expensive meat. Also, cheaper meat will so,etc,es not be butchered as well so there is more fat or other waste.

Fish from an excellent fishmonger will be fresher than fish sold at a cheap place and fresh fish is so much better than fish that is older or has been frozen and then defrosted before sale.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:51 pm
staten islander wrote:
Depends to what you are comparing. No comparison between chicken/meat at pomegranate/glatt mart to krm/bingo/moishe

Oh and that’s where you’re quite wrong! One of the stores you mentioned (supposedly one of the “better, higher end” ones) is the one that stuffed in extra chicken skin underneath the package. The head of hashgacha agency I spoke to was referring to those very stores,

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:52 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don’t know where you are comparing to but there are real differences in the quality of meat, chicken and fish and the price reflects that quality.

Often when I have bought meat on sale, it’s tougher, fattier or has more gristle than more expensive meat. Also, cheaper meat will so,etc,es not be butchered as well so there is more fat or other waste.

Fish from an excellent fishmonger will be fresher than fish sold at a cheap place and fresh fish is so much better than fish that is older or has been frozen and then defrosted before sale.

Fish is a different story...

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 7:21 pm
I work for a kosher meat company and we send different product in different ways. Our imported beef is usually lower quality and frozen before selling it to the distributor. We have one line of imported beef that we do sell fresh but our domestic grain finished beef is superior. The domestic beef is sold fresh usually but we don’t know if the buyers are freezing it before selling to the smaller stores.

You should ask the manager behind the butcher counter about where the meat comes from, was it previously frozen by the producer or did it arrive fresh. If it arrived fresh, was it frozen at the store before being packaged for retail and placed on the shelves etc.

There are so many variables that affect the quality that you won’t know without asking and without that info it’s hard to know what is better quality. Price alone can’t tell you that. Every store charges what they feel is the maximum they can get from their client base.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics