Home

If tzedaka was a tax withheld would it work?
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


notshanarishona




 
 
 


Post  Sun, Mar 17 2019, 1:48 pm
Not everyone sends to the same schools. also why would someone want to give to schools if they don't have kids or not school age kids ?
And many people with many young kids are already using maaser to pay tuition. I can't see anyone who would agree.
Back to top

amother




Ruby


Post  Sun, Mar 17 2019, 2:55 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Not everyone sends to the same schools. also why would someone want to give to schools if they don't have kids or not school age kids ?
And many people with many young kids are already using maaser to pay tuition. I can't see anyone who would agree.


People really use maaser to pay tuition? I heard that you're not allowed to do that.

Personally, I think that a 5% tax to yeshivos WOULD be a good idea, for exactly this reason. The only caveat would be that there should be extreme transparency with someone very trusted overseeing this, and would give all schools in that town equally. And yes, I think that even people who don't have school age kids should give part of their maaser to the yeshivos. After all, where better?

But of course, this can never happen as there is no way to force anyone to give a penny. We don't have our own government or any way to actually enforce a tax...
Back to top

amother




Azure


Post  Sun, Mar 17 2019, 3:57 pm
we don't use our maaser money to pay tuition but I know people who were told by their rabbi that that's what they should do.
These people aren't exactly going on luxurious cruises... I would imaging that if you could afford both thats ideal. Some schools charge full paying parents more then the cost to educate so the difference can probably be counted as maaser even for wealthier people but I'm not only referring to that.

giving all schools equally is complicated, does it go by school or by student count, likew will the bigger school get more money? Lets say one school doesn't teach secular subjects, not everyone would want to subsidize that, what about a coed school where the girls learn gemara... there are different hashkafas...
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
we don't use our maaser money to pay tuition but I know people who were told by their rabbi that that's what they should do.


I heard that too. A person is allowed to use maaser to pay their tuition and to support their children in Kollel, and to pay their grandchildren's tuitions.
Back to top

amother




Natural


Post  Sun, Mar 17 2019, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
I heard that too. A person is allowed to use maaser to pay their tuition and to support their children in Kollel, and to pay their grandchildren's tuitions.


We are very tight. We were told we can’t use maaser for tuition, or any Mitzva /thing we are obligated /need to do (like buy an esrog).
My husband also did a lot of research into this as well and saw the same conclusions. Not ch”v judging anyone, and if someone got a psak it’s obviously totally okay, just saying that it’s not so clear cut & u do need to ask.

Kollel & grand-children may be different because those are both not something one must do, but honestly didn’t look into either since we are very far from that stage.

If everyone gave a percentage of maaser to an organization which then distributed it to schools -I’d actually be very happy to contribute my maaser that way. Considering though that it’s halachically okay, AND that the schools would be honest & lower tuition accordingly.
Back to top

amother




Peach


Post  Sun, Mar 17 2019, 7:05 pm
also after one is 'done" paying tuitions there is paying for chassunahs (hopefully!) helping marrieds, grandchildren, and the like. Sometimes older people can be in reduced financial circumstances and need to also plan of retirement. Sometimes there are healthcare financial issues associated with aging R"L.
Back to top

amother




Ruby


Post  Sun, Mar 17 2019, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
We are very tight. We were told we can’t use maaser for tuition, or any Mitzva /thing we are obligated /need to do (like buy an esrog).
My husband also did a lot of research into this as well and saw the same conclusions. Not ch”v judging anyone, and if someone got a psak it’s obviously totally okay, just saying that it’s not so clear cut & u do need to ask.

Kollel & grand-children may be different because those are both not something one must do, but honestly didn’t look into either since we are very far from that stage.

If everyone gave a percentage of maaser to an organization which then distributed it to schools -I’d actually be very happy to contribute my maaser that way. Considering though that it’s halachically okay, AND that the schools would be honest & lower tuition accordingly.


That's what I was wondering, because I never heard that masser money can be used for tuition for your own child. And we asked. I'm curious where this heter comes from.

Tuition for grandchildren and supporting children in kollel is a different story and you can use maaser money for both. Again, we asked.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
One sink, how to make it work?
by amother
23 Fri, Apr 19 2019, 7:49 am View last post
Work travel on Pesach; packing thermos 20 Thu, Apr 18 2019, 12:12 pm View last post
Thigh highs that work?
by amother
12 Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:00 am View last post
If my business (partnership) pays taxes, do I pay income tax
by amother
5 Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:15 pm View last post
Lunch at work
by amother
1 Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:41 pm View last post

Jump to: