Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
If you go to a certified nutritionist - pls answer

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:48 pm
What sort of diets do they recommend for regular weight loss (not because of other issues)?

Do they also advocate for keto or more of a balance with whole grains etc?

I'm looking to lose around 15 - 20 lbs.

Obviously each nutritionist advises their own way, I'm interested in hearing from different angles.

Thanks!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:02 pm
I have a registered dietician who is pro what I do.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
What sort of diets do they recommend for regular weight loss (not because of other issues)?

Do they also advocate for keto or more of a balance with whole grains etc?

I'm looking to lose around 15 - 20 lbs.

Obviously each nutritionist advises their own way, I'm interested in hearing from different angles.

Thanks!

They generally do NOT advocate for keto, or any plan which restricts carbs...they go for a more balanced plan, ie. what they call healthy carbs (whole wheat everything), moderate protein, very moderate healthy fat (ie. olive oil), obviously no sugar or junk food. I’ve tried that, lost a few pounds but then plateaued and stopped losing. Also I was constantly hungry on the small, restrictive amounts of food my nutritionist recommended. I am now on Keto for the past 2 weeks, and LOVE it (Andrea’s going to love me now 😄). I’m very careful, enter everything I eat into a food tracker, weigh everything so I’m accurate... the best part is that it eliminates cravings and hunger! I’ve never had that on any other diet, and I feel that’s the main component of being able to stick with a diet! It’s amazing.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:40 pm
Cheiny wrote:
They do NOT advocate for keto, or any plan which restricts carbs...they go for a more balanced plan, ie. what they call healthy carbs (whole wheat everything), moderate protein, very moderate healthy fat (ie. )olive oil, no sugar or junk food. I’ve tried that, lost a few pounds but then plateaued and stopped losing. Also I was constantly hungry on the small, restrictive amounts of food my nutritionist recommended. I am now on Keto for the past 2 weeks, and LOVE it (Andrea’s going to love me now 😄). I’m very careful, enter everything I eat into a food tracker, weigh everything so I’m accurate... the best part is that it eliminates cravings and hunger! I’ve never had that on any other diet, and I feel that’s the main component of being able to stick with a diet! It’s amazing.

Hahaha! I don’t not like anyone because of how they eat! I just know that for some people, like me, anyd maybe even you, there really isn’t any other choice! Seriously I am glad that you are feeling good and happy with what you are doing!

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 3:08 pm
Mediterranean diet, whole foods, plant-based. cut out processed foods. Majority of food comes from produce, then bits of lean protein and whole carbs (no flour).

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 3:17 pm
My nutritionist added starch back into my diet. I was not a starch eater. As Cheiny said the portions are small. Mine also allowed me to substitute one piece of chocolate for a fruit. I always have one piece of chocolate Shabbos morning anyway. I found myself eating more chocolate during the week.

agreer

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 3:56 pm
My RD does strictly calorie counting, encouraging healthy choices from all food groups. She has the recommended amounts of foods from grains, proteins, fats, fruits, veggies, and dairy. She lets you have anything, as long as you fit it in.

She's also very into healthy food "behaviors", such as pre-planning, not eating between planned meals/snacks, not eating too late at night.

For most women, this is enough.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 4:07 pm
Weight watchers is a very doable slow and steady diet that is easy to keep. The app is great.
It encourages healthy eating but allows for treats.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 4:11 pm
What happens when someone who lost weight on Keto reaches her goal?
To maintain her new weight does she never eat carbs again or are they allowed back in on a limited basis?
What is the maintenance plan and how restrictive is it?
What is the diet's long-term success rate?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
What happens when someone who lost weight on Keto reaches her goal?
To maintain her new weight does she never eat carbs again or are they allowed back in on a limited basis?
What is the maintenance plan and how restrictive is it?
What is the diet's long-term success rate?

That depends on the person. The benefits of ketosis are not limited to weight.

For example, many people have reversed their diabetes via keto, including me. Many people have been able to recover from GERD ( I used to take 2-40 mg nexium a day, now none) or IBS or arthritic pain reduced. In addition, some people find that mental clarity and energy are increased. The side effect of having cravings reduced as long as you Are in ketosis is what makes it doable. Personally, I can’t have non caloric sweetener because it makes me want to eat like a maniac.

Adding carbs is very personal. You can maintain weight loss without losing more by playing with your food. I have a friend who has gone from severely diabetic to low normal blood sugar without medication. She is adding carb to make sure her blood sugar doesn’t get too low ( like has doubled from 16 g daily to 32) but continues to lose weight because her calories are well in line.

Some people, like me, can’t ever add it back in. I’m too carb sensitive. My eating becomes disordered. That said, sure, I’d like to lose more than the 85 lbs I’ve lost, but I won’t do anything to compromise what I’ve already done, do for now, I’m just holding where I am. Because not gaining back ( I’ve been maintaining for almost a year) and not letting my blood sugar levels rise are my priorities, I’ve not actively gone further. That said, every other diet I ever did, when I went ‘off’ all was list. At this point, I’ll never go off.

In any case, I know people personally who’ve been doing it for years. They are healthy and happy, like me, they have peace in their heads, are not suffering and are healthy. Everyone needs to do what works for them. They just need to be honest with themselves about what that is.

To that end, I have a diabetic friend on weight watchers. I watched them eat fruit after fruit after because fruit is ‘free.’ I am highly doubtful that they will lose weight and highly doubtful that this will help their blood sugar and triglycerides. Fruit should not be ‘free’ for diabetics. Or corn or peas.

Watching them, they are not hungry. They clearly cannot stop eating. That is the reaction I get to fruit, sweeteners snd grains too. It’s an insulin reaction. I can’t stop eating compulsively. One has to do what works for them. And be honest that what works also jives with their health goal.

My two goals since the beginning of my journey are staying on my food plan and maintaining any weight list, both of which I have done. It’s been almost two years since I was diagnosed with retinopathy. And since I made my peace with food.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:44 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Hahaha! I don’t not like anyone because of how they eat! I just know that for some people, like me, anyd maybe even you, there really isn’t any other choice! Seriously I am glad that you are feeling good and happy with what you are doing!

Thank you! Your story is inspiring.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 5:46 pm
agreer wrote:
My RD does strictly calorie counting, encouraging healthy choices from all food groups. She has the recommended amounts of foods from grains, proteins, fats, fruits, veggies, and dairy. She lets you have anything, as long as you fit it in.

She's also very into healthy food "behaviors", such as pre-planning, not eating between planned meals/snacks, not eating too late at night.

And I’ll bet most people are hungry on that plan.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:37 pm
Anyone else?

Keto won't work for me at this point, so would like to hear what other kinds of diets are also being recommended by pros.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:38 pm
agreer wrote:

Does grains also include ww bread, or that isn't recommended at all?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise