Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Looking to help a professional organizer.
1  2  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:00 pm
I'm looking to help an organizer in Lakewood, because I'd like to 'intern' so to speak. I've reached out to a couple but they seem reluctant. Am I missing something? Don't people learn from others? I've read many times how businessmen interned by others in the field to perfect their trade etc. I'd like to go into the field, but I'd like to get a feel of it from a business perspective and I can't seem to get any guidance

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:05 pm
It's a very specific niche, and you would be direct competition in their location. I think it's understandable that they believe they have something to lose from this arrangement, and nothing to gain. It sounds like you also want free training from them.

trixx

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:06 pm
There's a wide world of business and a very small world of professional organizers in Lakewood (or Monsey or Williamsburg) who are servicing that community. I wouldn't let you "intern" (learn my tricks then steal my clients?) either.

cm

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:11 pm
Most likely, the existing professionals don’t want to create their own competition. There are plenty of other resources for learning to develop a small business, and you can probably find industry-specific guidance from people who do training as part of their business, most likely online and far away.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:13 pm
I read somewhere that some organizers did form some type of education and certification. Did you look it up online?

tweety1

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:29 pm
I so understand you!! I get it. In a way I understand the organizers too. But I have a beautiful story to share that I was actually a sort of participant in. I was talking to my son's playgrp teacher. In the conversation it came up as a matter of fact that another playgrp is moving a few houses away from her. A top top playgrp where I live. So I asked her how she feels abt it so she tells me "hashem has enough to give for everybody". So I asked her if she told that playgrp something. So she said not a word and repeated that hashem has enough to give for everybody". That I call midos! I was amazed is an understatement. Let me tell you my son's playgrp is filled to capacity with a waiting list.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 8:59 pm
I think that one of the ways that people get into the business is to volunteer to organize some homes, offices, and classrooms with the idea that word of your approach will get around and you will be able to make money at it. Meanwhile access library books and YouTube to get some storage ideas.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:41 pm
@trixx, every person within the same field develops their own unique style even if they are doing the same thing.
Secondly, what's the difference if I'd be working for a graphic designer, interior designer, Amazon seller, florist, or anything of the sort and after a year open my own? How is that different? Do people not employ assistants because of this? No. Growth is a part of life. And we're here to learn from each other. Smart business people are not affraid to share their tips because everyone is unique even if they know the same things. (Read some business books it will enlighten you to this concept) business people who keep everything to themselves are stifling their own growth.
In addition , stealing other clients is for people who practice business immorally. It has nothing to do with training. It's a lack of morality 'issue'.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:28 am
• Find a professional organizers' organization and join it.

• Get a certification in organizing (somebody must offer one!)

• Volunteer or work for cheap so you can put together a portfolio of your work

• Consider getting an AA in Interior Design, a related field.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:01 am
I'm willing to allow you to organize my home and take pictures to build your professional experience and portfolio Smile

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
@trixx, every person within the same field develops their own unique style even if they are doing the same thing.
Secondly, what's the difference if I'd be working for a graphic designer, interior designer, Amazon seller, florist, or anything of the sort and after a year open my own? How is that different? Do people not employ assistants because of this? No. Growth is a part of life. And we're here to learn from each other. Smart business people are not affraid to share their tips because everyone is unique even if they know the same things. (Read some business books it will enlighten you to this concept) business people who keep everything to themselves are stifling their own growth.
In addition , stealing other clients is for people who practice business immorally. It has nothing to do with training. It's a lack of morality 'issue'.

I don’t think any graphic designer, interior designer or amazon seller for that matter would allow you to intern by them for training. And many would go so far as to make employees sign a non compete agreement.
If you live in Lakewood there are at least two organizers who give a course teaching you to become one. I’m sure that exists in other places as well. You need to pay for the course, and then they’d be happy to refer clients to you - because at this point training others is their parnassa so there is no competition

Hatzlacha

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 3:38 am
I think there might be more reasons to it for not wanting an apprentice on their side. Every organizer creates their own style of doing things, They have their unique style of organizing and don'twant to share their tricks for Free, they don't want people on their side while doing their job, it's competition for them, people's stuff are confidential and don't feel comfortable letting in more than one helper.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:27 am
There are also different types of organizing, such as organizing time. Another can be a type of bookkeeping.
There is the cleaning out of the house when someone dies. There is helping the hoarder. There is helping with simchas. You can find the right one for you and your community.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:35 am
amother wrote:
I think there might be more reasons to it for not wanting an apprentice on their side. Every organizer creates their own style of doing things, They have their unique style of organizing and don'twant to share their tricks for Free, they don't want people on their side while doing their job, it's competition for them, people's stuff are confidential and don't feel comfortable letting in more than one helper.

I agree. Personally, if I hire an organizer, I wouldn't want anyone else in my home. Please do not bring any interns with you.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:45 am
As a newborn photographer, I get requests from wannabe "interns" regularly.

No way.

Firstly, why should I train you so that in a few months, when you hang out your shingle, you'll be competition?

I did require a non compete contract with the assistant I use.

I understand if someone local decides to become a newborn photographer- that's life. However, why should my local competition know my style and secrets and ways of doing things and have rapport with my clients?

Additionally, I have paid many tens of thousands of dollars for my education in this specific art. If you want to learn it too, invest in it. Don't pretend you want to "help" me when all you're doing is trying to get free education.

It definitely rubs me the wrong way when I get these requests.

That said, once someone has paid me for a full day of newborn mentoring ($1,650 for the day with 4 newborn babies), I do allow them to shadow me at my regular sessions at my discretion.

My advice?

Take some courses. Research online. Invest in education. Practice with family and friends. Then, if you want to be an apprentice, approach it in a professional way, not as a free-education-seeker, and find a position in another location than where you would practice.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:52 am
Why can’t you just take a course? I know Rechy Zolty runs a popular one.

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:11 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
As a newborn photographer, I get requests from wannabe "interns" regularly.

No way.

Firstly, why should I train you so that in a few months, when you hang out your shingle, you'll be competition?

I did require a non compete contract with the assistant I use.

I understand if someone local decides to become a newborn photographer- that's life. However, why should my local competition know my style and secrets and ways of doing things and have rapport with my clients?

Additionally, I have paid many tens of thousands of dollars for my education in this specific art. If you want to learn it too, invest in it. Don't pretend you want to "help" me when all you're doing is trying to get free education.

It definitely rubs me the wrong way when I get these requests.

That said, once someone has paid me for a full day of newborn mentoring ($1,650 for the day with 4 newborn babies), I do allow them to shadow me at my regular sessions at my discretion.

My advice?

Take some courses. Research online. Invest in education. Practice with family and friends. Then, if you want to be an apprentice, approach it in a professional way, not as a free-education-seeker, and find a position in another location than where you would practice.
[b]

I think that's what struck me as off about OP's initial post. She isn't looking to help anyone but herself.

Come out and say what you want. If someone is dumb enough to fall for "being helped", I wouldn't want my business training to come from them.

That being said, I have had many interns when I was working as there is a high educational bar to do what I did. I don't think anyone ever ended up doing what I did, but they gained experience.
I never had an intern ask the business side. Where should I get the time to sit and explain it? If someone has that kind of time, then they aren't busy enough or successful enough to give lessons.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:16 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I agree. Personally, if I hire an organizer, I wouldn't want anyone else in my home. Please do not bring any interns with you.

Some clean-outs probably need the help of shleppers rather than interns, particularly if there is heavy stuff in a basement that needs to be hauled off. There are also people that will be cleaning the areas to be re-organized. Often re-organizing requires the shredding of many pounds of old documents and assistants may be doing that.
So basically the organizer probably isn't coming alone but the help isn't there to learn how to do it themselves.
Possibly the shleppers, cleaning help and assistants eventually learn enough to go into business but it isn't easy.

trixx

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:06 am
amother wrote:

Thanks, I have read plenty of business books.

You're trying to get an in into a field that in frum circles has recently become popular and is kind of made up. As in, the current organizers are enterprising individuals who have brought it to the frum community. So again why would they want you to learn the ins and outs of a business they basically created? And don't get me started on the oversaturation of frum "graphic designers" who are "interning" and have zero talent or capability yet are flooding the field. Some things require real training not just owning fancy software or equipment.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 9:21 am
trixx wrote:
Thanks, I have read plenty of business books.

You're trying to get an in into a field that in frum circles has recently become popular and is kind of made up. As in, the current organizers are enterprising individuals who have brought it to the frum community. So again why would they want you to learn the ins and outs of a business they basically created? And don't get me started on the oversaturation of frum "graphic designers" who are "interning" and have zero talent or capability yet are flooding the field. Some things require real training not just owning fancy software or equipment.

Maybe she could market herself to another area even though she will have to travel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics