Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help me choose paint colors I'm clueless
1  2  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:06 pm
Please. Im totally not into colors but I am paying the money anyway so I want it to be nice.

My kitchen is natural wood. Will we do a beige again? Boring!
I dont like dark.

My dining room has a mix of furniture Brown and cherry mahogany so I really dont know what to do there.

Hallway I'm going with light gray. I think.

I can't even think about the bedrooms. I'm such a loser. Im finally painting and I'm too overwhelmed to enjoy it..

I love nice things but have no clue how to make it happen.
My usual fashion guide had a baby. Ok. Enough with the kvetching.

Any ideas? Thanks!

thanks

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:11 pm
Look at houzz.com for ideas, or hire someone to help you pick. There are way too many choices.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:15 pm
thanks wrote:
Look at houzz.com for ideas, or hire someone to help you pick. There are way too many choices.

Thanks I'm not sure why it doesnt work. Whom can I hire? Never heard of such a thing you mean a designer?

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:17 pm
Paint companies often do a color consult which is free if you buy their paint. Maybe that could help. Very difficult for anyone here to advise you without a lot more information.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:26 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Paint companies often do a color consult which is free if you buy their paint. Maybe that could help. Very difficult for anyone here to advise you without a lot more information.

Good idea thanks!
I got through to houzz.com oh my my kitchen is so terribly old fashioned! I thought it was a beautiful kitchen haha

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
Good idea thanks!
I got through to houzz.com oh my my kitchen is so terribly old fashioned! I thought it was a beautiful kitchen haha

Unless you are planning on selling (although I know what they say - man plans G-d laughs) I would recommend doing what YOU like. You're the one who is paying for it and HAS TO LIVE THERE.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:12 am
What do your counter tops look like? I find the cabinet color can give you a lot of room to play around, but once you have counters, that limits your selection.

gamanit

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:26 am
Can you post a photo of your room? Or PM it to me? I love these things Smile

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:44 am
gamanit wrote:
Can you post a photo of your room? Or PM it to me? I love these things Smile

I'll pm you.
Thanks for the offer.
It's not a room. It's my entire home. I feel like canceling the painter no joke.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:07 am
Ask the painter for a paint sample book.

Take it to your kitchen and compare to your finish, your counter, and importantly, your lighting.

That will help you decide.

Also, the Benjamin Moore website has a feature where you can see the paint in a room. Choose something similar to yours, and you can see how the color would look in a larger version than the paint chip.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:07 am
We did the entire main floor, open foyer and upstairs hall silver satin, which is basically white, but not stark white. The bedrooms are each a diff color.

etky

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:42 am
Two other factors to take into account: the floor and the room's natural lighting.
If the room does not enjoy lots of natural light then try to stick to warmer shades (doesn't have to be dark - for example cream vs. stark white).
Also consider doing an accent wall in a slightly darker shade, in the living room and bed rooms.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 1:50 am
Sherwin William paint will send someone out to do a color consult. Last time I checked it was $100 but you could use it as a credit towards buying paint. I think it would be worth it to have someone come out to your home and help you.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:40 am
Remember that the paint color will look different in your house than it will in someone elses because of sunlight etc. I saw a beautiful grey in a friends house- did it in mine- now my bedroom looks like it has dirty water dripping down its walls!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:38 am
amother wrote:
Remember that the paint color will look different in your house than it will in someone elses because of sunlight etc. I saw a beautiful grey in a friends house- did it in mine- now my bedroom looks like it has dirty water dripping down its walls!

This. And it will be even more different from what you see on a computer screen. You can get paint samples. Have the paint store mix a tiny container, and paint a splotch in the middle of each wall. See how the light works, and what it's like at different times of day. And don't be swayed by what's trendy. Just as trendy clothes might not flatter your figure, the "in" colors might not look right in your house. Do what works for you. And remember, paint is temporary.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:50 am
Light colors are very in style.
For kitchen, do a lot of white. My upper cabinets are light gray, and my lower cabinets are darker gray. Walls are white brick. Backsplash is white with a few gray tiles randomly mixed in. Countertops are white and gray granite.
Living room- you can do light gray. Smokey Taupe is pretty and neutral. Do an accent couch- dark color velvet (green, navy, burgundy).
Bedrooms are really easy- just go by gender. Light blue for boys, light pink or purple for girls. Guest room gray.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
This. And it will be even more different from what you see on a computer screen. You can get paint samples. Have the paint store mix a tiny container, and paint a splotch in the middle of each wall. See how the light works, and what it's like at different times of day. And don't be swayed by what's trendy. Just as trendy clothes might not flatter your figure, the "in" colors might not look right in your house. Do what works for you. And remember, paint is temporary.

My girls wanted lavender- we bought a few samples and tried them on their walls until we found the right one, they looked so different on the wall then on those little strips they show you

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:54 am
I did nearly my whole house in Edgcomb Gray which is a nice light grayish taupe. It looks different in my kitchen and in my living room and in my hallway. But I love it! In the bedrooms I did more of a gray but it's too light and I don't like how it came out.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:50 am
The lady from centiles comes to your house and was a lifesaver with paint colors. 17184364922

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:12 am
I love the color in my dining room and hallways. Check it out, you may like it too. It's Benjamin Moore clay beige oc11. It looks very nice with my traditional furniture and parquet floors. I used it in my hallways too, although grey was the rage then and liked it. But my house is not big and I wanted an even look. No regrets.

I also did a very nice color in the boys room. I wanted blue but not a typical baby blue. Found a color that's between blue and grey. Looks different to everyone. I'll check the color if you're interested.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics