Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Regrets after doing a Modern or a Traditional style kitchen?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:29 pm
Any regrets after doing a Modern (wishing you would have done Traditional) or a Traditional style kitchen (wishing you would have done Modern)?

I know theres Transitional and Eclectic, a blend, but your kitchen will end up looking more one than the other.

Anyone regrets that they should have done the other?

Most are doing Modern kitchens these days, but some people do Traditional because they like the Molding details and think Modern Kitchens will become less popular. soon, if theyre very "in" now. Its cyclical. Every few years trends change.

Anyone remember the love of the color Lavender?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:40 pm
Do what you like! I did a transitional kitchen. I never liked detailed moldings and an extravagant look. I always preferred simple straight lines. But I didn't want the cold feeling of many modern kitchens, so I did what I liked and it came out something in between.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:42 pm
I'm not sure the ultra-modern glossy acrylic look has been around long enough for homeowners to regret the choice. But no matter what you choose it will go out of style.

I'm designing a couple of modern kitchens now (yes, I do kitchen and residential design professionally). And also some traditional ones. Modern has become slightly more popular than traditional according to the NKBA.

My own kitchen is somewhere between traditional, country cottage, and commercial. Works fine for me!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:42 pm
If you're planning on selling in the next few years, go with modern.

Otherwise, go with whatever looks good to YOU. These styles are guidelines, not rules.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:55 pm
I'm totally a transitional person, all the way.

I recently installed a kitchen and went with shaker cabinets and modern straight handles, but the great thing with shaker cabinets is that the hardware can be changed to make it less transitional and more traditional, if someone isn't decided which way they personally lean.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:58 pm
Mine is transitional. White. Grey. Clean. Classy. Wouldn’t call it modern. But not traditional either.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:53 am
I did a traditional ivory kitchen and loving it! No regrets. Always loved such kitchens since I was a little girl.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:27 am
I did modern/transitional. I did they typical modern white cabinets but added a cutesy backsplash and paint color, lending a cottage feel. I do not regret it for a second. It's unusual and atypical, and I love it.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 7:50 am
Mine is ultra modern. We warmed it up with lots of stone and plants. My countertops are granite and quartzite. One wall is white-ish stone. You can see through to an adjoining room with a stone fireplace. We went with acid washed mirrors for the backsplash. I have no regrets. Traditional wouldn't have worked.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:35 am
The most important thing is to do what you like and would feel comfortable in. You will be spending a lot of time in there, so make sure that you love it.
Go through the gallery on hours.com to geta feel of what feels most beautiful to you. If you are planning on selling in a few years then try it leave it a bit more classic and neutral.
I designed my own kitchen and love every bit of it.

cbg

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:45 am
I love my modern kitchen
High gloss white cabinets
Grey granite that has cranberry specked streaks.
I chose the same back splash as the counter top for a more elegant look
It’s a galley kitchen with counter top on only one side, but that was the only way I could do the layout.
Also my whole apartment is modern
White with grey (furniture)

I live in fl and like the airiness
If I lived in a colder climate I probably would go with warmer colors.

One thing that made me go with modern flat panel look, is that when you have intricate molding, grease gets caught in the molding and hard to clean. With flat doors you finish with one sweep.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 8:51 am
Do what you like. When I got married (years ago) modern was in- I got modern furniture and never really liked it. Because of that experience, when I recently did my kitchen I went with a more traditional kitchen even when everyone around me was doing modern

wow

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 10:39 am
I have a transitional kitchen. I really wanted modern all the way. However, a few years ago when we were doing the kitchen, the modern flat acrylic style was just about being introduced. I absolutely loved it when I saw it and I was going back and forth between my shaker style (transitional) and acrylic. I ended up with the shaker but regretted it right away. I did my laundry room and pesach kitchen in acrylic and just love it so so so much. Both the look and the practicality of its wear and tear.
Do what your heart pulls u to do!

Librarian

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 5:06 pm
I did transitional 10 years ago. I LOVE my kitchen but I have been making small changes (light fixtures etc) to make it more modern. I have a mini glass brick backsplash - at the time I wanted to do longer strips of glass but ppl told me I would get sick of it. Now I am sorry

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 5:24 pm
I just finished a remodel of my kitchen and my inspiration was Arts & Crafts/Prairie with a bit of Art Nouveau thrown in.

My doors are quarter sawn white oak in a medium honey stain. I have a copper hood, copper sinks and installed a copper tiled ceiling.

My counters are Black Galaxy granite.

These are my doors but my pulls are copper from Notting Hill Hardware in their Prairie Tulip design.

http://www.nottinghill-usa.com/pulls

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 5:45 pm
Do what you like. I don't like modern style at all and spend way too much time in my kitchen. My kitchen is 15 years old and I still like what I chose.

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 5:52 pm
We have a modern kitchen.

I have loved modern, sleek design since I was a little girl, and I probably always will.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 5:57 pm
It also depends on the house. My house is anything but traditional. A traditional kitchen would look completely out of place. You can't plan the kitchen without making sure it flows with the rest of the house.

When the kitchen is out of place, it is jarring to me. A decorator took me to her house to show me her talent. Her kitchen didn't fit in with the rest of her home. I decided I had better taste.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 6:20 pm
amother wrote:
It also depends on the house. My house is anything but traditional. A traditional kitchen would look completely out of place. You can't plan the kitchen without making sure it flows with the rest of the house.

When the kitchen is out of place, it is jarring to me. A decorator took me to her house to show me her talent. Her kitchen didn't fit in with the rest of her home. I decided I had better taste.

This is an interesting point. In general, I'd advise going with what you love because you're the one who will have to live with it. But if you live in a Victorian home with crown moldings and baroque flourishes everywhere, an ultra-modern kitchen may look a bit strange. And if you're thinking about resale, be careful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics